Dear Diary - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dear Diary Reviews

August 18, 2013
Delightful Woody Allen-esque film about the everyday trials and tribulations of a movie-loving, moped-riding 40 year-old Roman director. Lovely soundtrack, some brilliant scenes - not so strong on narrative but that's not really the movie's raison d'etre. Won the Palme d'Or back in the day and still a lovely watch.
½ November 16, 2012
Moretti dimostra ancora una volta di essere uno degli autori italiani più personali e intelligenti, nonostante la forma sempre essenziale. Tre storie tratte dal suo diario, di umore diverso in cui spicca quella ambientata nelle bizzarre isole siciliane, inabitabili dall'uomo moderno schiavo della tecnologia e della televisione.
September 22, 2012
Pas le genre de film qui me fait vibrer, j'y vois plus du nombrilisme et de la masturbation intello qu'un acte genereux de partage de moments de vie. Et puis j'ai vraiment du mal avec les "personnages" de Moretti acteur, assez antipathiques et mal joues... Ce qui dans ce cas est assez etrange puisque c'est lui-meme que l'acteur/realisateur incarne. Ecrit, realise et joue par Nanni Moretti pour Nanni Moretti ?...
March 20, 2012
I thought that the whole film was very original and I really enjoyed the first part, the second slightly less, and I was getting a bit bored by it all by the third act. A fairly pointless film that will effect everyone in different way.
September 16, 2011
Nanni Moretti's Dear Diary is a semi-autobiographical film that made Moretti gain fame on an international level. Many critics have categorized him as the italian Woody Allen. Dear Diary is the story about the director, Nanni, whom we follow him on his journey in his normal life. The film is made up of three parts. The first one we follow him on his day off, in Rome where he loves to ride his Verpa scooter, and goes to see Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer on a hot summer day when there no people. The second part is about Nanni and his producer trying to find an island that is comfortable to work on, and they learn many interesting things about the inhabitants. The third part, Nanni gets an terrible itching through his whole body, and goes to almost every doctor in rome, he tries everything, but nothing works.

I would have found Dear Diary as a masterpiece, if it weren't for the last half of the movie, specially the itching part, that I found kind of slow and irrelevant to Nanni's work as a director. I want to see, a person struggling with his sickness while he tries to go on with his profession. The third part is actually based on a period in Nanni's life where he actually had a terrible itch. He was set to play in Krzysztof Kieslowski's The Double Life of Véronique but had to turn it down because of his illness. That could have been excellent to put in this movie, it would have been more exciting and more relevant.

My conclusion about Dear Diary is that it's a excellent autobiographical film, I specially love to see when Nanni rides on his verba through rome while Leonard Cohen's "I'm Your Man" is played in the background. But rest of the movie is literately itchy. But still my thumb is up.
½ August 22, 2011
Film en 3 chapitres, la premiere partie dans les rues de Romes fait appel au genie humouristique de son auteur. La deuxieme, dans les iles Italiennes, est aussi delectables mais le troisieme volet sur la maladie ne m a pas convaincu.
½ June 2, 2011
J'aime beaucoup l'humour de Nanni Moretti dans ce film ! Extra le cameo de Jennifer Beals.
½ May 29, 2011
Docudramedy? I guess. Mostly facts/opinions/experiences of Nanni Moretti, with some vignettes added for levity, not bad, worth a look.
November 22, 2010
Not much too the film except a lot of long takes and a take on 3 different theoretical ideas
½ July 22, 2010
An extremely difficult film to understand if you're not italian.
July 1, 2010
(***): Thumbs Up

I found this to be funny enough to recommend, even if it did drag in the middle section.
½ April 26, 2010
I loved this movie. Human and funny; aren't we though.
½ January 26, 2010
Sai cosa stavo pensando? Io stavo pensando una cosa molto triste: cioè che io, anche in una società più decente di questa, mi troverò sempre con una minoranza di persone. Ma non nel senso di quei film dove c'è un uomo e una donna che si odiano, si sbranano su un'isola deserta perché il regista non crede nelle persone. Io credo nelle persone, però non credo nella maggioranza delle persone: mi sa che mi troverò sempre a mio agio e d'accordo con una minoranza.
October 4, 2009
Mi parte favorita es Isole!
½ August 2, 2009
Its nice, funny or touching at times, some camera effect are good and the music well chosen. But nothing to be amazed about.. OK, its moretti, but nothing more than a simple little trip of a not very deep philosopher in Italia. Could have a been a real master piece if he had something more interesting to say ...or just have been braver and let more "poetry" invade the screen. Disappointing.
however, Im recommanding the movie if you like "true" movies....
June 24, 2009
Some funny moments but, on the whole, it was uninspiring and bland. Two stars - one for Nanni, who you can't help but love, and the other for the scene with the children answering the telephone and never putting the parents on..
½ May 26, 2009
My new favourite film is made in good taste. One to watch over and over. Nice vespa too!
½ May 13, 2009
½ April 1, 2009
Revision a la baisse de ce film drole par moments, toujours dans la veine centro centree de son comedien de realisateur. Le long metrage offre cependant de purs blocs de cinema (Keith Jarett sur la BO, le tout en vespa vers Ostie sur les traces du meurtre de Pasolini).