Dear Frankie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dear Frankie Reviews

November 21, 2016
Poignant, unassuming, and gentle. Beautifully shot.
½ April 22, 2016
Over a period of time, I started to admire Emily Mortimer's work and this movie is the best example of her talent. A simple sweet story with minimum characters and a lot of heart.

Set in the suburbs of Glasgow, Lizzie (Emily Mortimer) is a single mom to Frankie (Jack McElhone) and she makes him believe that his father is a globe trotter in his ship and so he can't be around while hiding the truth about her separation. She writes to Frankie as his father giving him indications on where he is which Frankie follows passionately. When Frankie goes into a bet with his schoolmate to bring his father to a football match, Lizzie has to find someone to be Frankie's dad for the day. She employs a stranger (Gerard Butler).

Some movies are such where everyone is nice to each other and the situations are not challenging, but still the portrayal of lives can be very interesting. Gerard Butler stays in his element and gives a humble elegant performance and McElhone and his classmates does an apt job. But the real eyeopener was Emily Mortimer with her passionate yet controlled performance. There is hardly any moment that felt forced for dramatic effect in a rather very flat yet entertaining screenplay. It is a joy to listen to Scottish accent. Background score gels well in some dramatic moments.

Simple, humble, entertaining, heartwarming.
February 13, 2016
Fantastic, true and heartbreaking
½ January 4, 2016
I loved this little movie. Proves you don't need to spend a bundle, just have a story. Heartwarming, but not too sickly sweet or corny. Nice little twist at the end, too.
December 27, 2015
Just a sweet film...cute kid. That's really about it. :)
December 12, 2015
Such a sweet but sad story line.
October 12, 2015
this movie is so wonderfully done! the acting is beyond good as well as the script! this movie made me cry too! loved every minute of it!
August 22, 2015
Gerard Buler and Emily Mortimer bring this little Scottish movie to life! LOVE this movie!
August 19, 2015
mother's love has no boundaries
August 11, 2015
Does exactly what it sets out to do, accomplishing the near-impossible by deeply warming the heart without an ounce of contrivance.
July 1, 2015
06/31/15 warm, subtle and honest study of a woman who hires a stranger (Gerard Butler) to pose as her deaf young sons father to hide the lad from the sad truth about his real dad
May 22, 2015
The storytelling was refreshing compared to many of the pieces that come from Hollywood. The ending was well done. It is truly a "gem," and I think the director should be proud of such a masterpiece. I don't have all the jargon to provide a detailed critic, but it was "believable" and "refreshing" compared to all the films I have seen. The director set the bar high for other films, in my book.
½ May 2, 2015
"Dear Frankie" is one of the few example how a mother-son relationship can be so good being a film, eventhough it's simple and small, it's never narrow, but deeply touching and real heart-warmer while it takes a bittersweet lines. A drama which is very appropriate to watch with whole family.
½ December 24, 2014
Solid & touching performances and a make this the little movie that could!
When it seems to be saccharinely drifting, it takes a hard Glasgow street turn to reality. There're no easy, Disneyish way to happiness.
½ December 16, 2014
Una increíble pieza cinematográfica. Dear Frankie es conmovedora, sutil y con actuaciones plausibles. Su historia es sencilla pero muy original. Un final un tanto abrupto pero realmente nadie se puede quejar de esta dulce resultado.
PD. Su música es espectacular, tanto su fotografía.
½ October 27, 2014
Do yourself a favor and watch this.
August 11, 2014
Very good movie about a deaf boy waiting for his father to return home...his mom has been lying to him for years. Simple yet superb...Who's fooling who? Only negative for me is sometimes hard to understand the strong Irish accents. Could bring a tear.
May 27, 2014
A must see movie, that only a handful of people have seen.....This should be shown and read in jr high. Just like "the outsiders" it has so ma you good messages, emotions, and lessons.
½ May 12, 2014
Sweet, moving story that I just loved.