Dear Frankie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dear Frankie Reviews

December 31, 2013
A touching little indy drama movie filled with great ideas, beautiful landscapes and terrific performances from the cast.
½ August 25, 2013
Love the mysteriousness of Gerard in this movie
July 11, 2013
Nice little drama with good performances
June 22, 2013
Tudo neste filme independente é bom, a história, as interpretações e a atmosfera criada num retrato intimista que nos delicia do início ao fim :)
½ May 23, 2013
This was surprisingly good. I had no idea the kid was deaf going into it, and it really added an interesting element to the story. The little boy played his role very well, and Emily Mortimer was absolutely perfect; I really like her a lot with each movie I see her in. Gerard was superb in this. He was so lovable and I squealed every time he came on the screen. It had a bit of a strange ending, but I liked it all the same.
April 1, 2013
Sweet, sweet movie, Emily Mortimer is beautiful as always, and Gerard Butler reminds all of us girls why we fell in love with him to begin with!
½ March 22, 2013
Grade: B- Ricky Miller
March 11, 2013
1st Daddy and Son movie on Sunday.
March 3, 2013
An amazing emotionally challenging film that takes us through an odd journey of a deaf nine-year-old 'Frankie' (Jack McElhone) and his overprotective mother 'Lizzie' (Emily Mortimer) who makes ends meet to make her son happy. The narrative is cute as we hear the little boys voice through the words of his letters to his envisioned father.
½ December 25, 2012
I cried and cried. Frankie (Jack McElhone) is one of the sweetest characters you can find. A tremendously heart-warming movie.
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to watching.
December 7, 2012
Beautiful film, heart warming, touching.
Gerry Butler is adorable in it. Must to see.
½ November 17, 2012
Over a period of time, I started to admire Emily Mortimer's work and this movie is the best example of her talent. A simple sweet story with minimum characters and a lot of heart.

Set in the suburbs of Glasgow, Lizzie (Emily Mortimer) is a single mom to Frankie (Jack McElhone) and she makes him believe that his father is a globe trotter in his ship and so he can't be around while hiding the truth about her separation. She writes to Frankie as his father giving him indications on where he is which Frankie follows passionately. When Frankie goes into a bet with his schoolmate to bring his father to a football match, Lizzie has to find someone to be Frankie's dad for the day. She employs a stranger (Gerard Butler).

Some movies are such where everyone is nice to each other and the situations are not challenging, but still the portrayal of lives can be very interesting. Gerard Butler stays in his element and gives a humble elegant performance and McElhone and his classmates does an apt job. But the real eyeopener was Emily Mortimer with her passionate yet controlled performance. There is hardly any moment that felt forced for dramatic effect in a rather very flat yet entertaining screenplay. It is a joy to listen to Scottish accent. Background score gels well in some dramatic moments.

Simple, humble, entertaining, heartwarming.
November 6, 2012
Dear Frankie, there were possible ways to find the truth about your real father but the fact that I don't know how you did make it an unreasonable plot hole in this pretty good film. Almost love, me.
November 4, 2012
one word: awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!
½ October 27, 2012
This is a highly underrated little gem from first time feature director Shona Auerbach. It's a film that shows a real delicacy and understanding for human relationships and a sensitive perception of life in general.
Frankie (Jack McElhone) is a 9 year old deaf boy has never met his father. His mother Lizzie (Emily Mortimer) left him years ago but never had the heart to tell her son. Instead, she concocts a story and tells Frankie that his father is working on a ship, sailing around the world. She also sends letters to Frankie, pretending to be his dad in far off places. Her story threatens to come to pieces though when Frankie discovers that his dadâ??s ship is due to dock at their hometown of Greenock. Instead of telling Frankie the truth, Lizzie employs the services of a stranger (Gerard Butler) to pretend that he's Frankie's father.
Every now and again you come across a low-key drama with real depth and honesty that when it's all over you are left feeling genuinely touched; a tear may even well-up or for that matter fall. This is that type of drama. It's a film that tugs on the heartstrings but doesn't use any form of manipulation to do so. It's just good, honest, storytelling that uses observation and an understanding of life and the heartbreaking complexities therein. It touches on the extent that parents will go to protect their children and also the difficulties faced by broken, impoverished families. What it also does, is put your faith in the kindness of strangers. That being said, this is not a film that's depressing. In fact, it's quite the opposite. It's a life-affirming story filled with humour as well as pathos and everyone hits just the right note. It's also a film that could claim to showcase the real charm and charisma of Gerard Butler before he hopped aboard the fame train. He's an enigmatic presence and delivers a wonderfully subtle, turn that gained him a lot more recognition amongst critics and filmgoers alike. The same could be said of Emily Mortimer; she is absolutely superb as a supportive but desperate mother striving to protect her son and further excellent support is delivered by young Jack McElhone as the eponymous and gentle natured Frankie. He doesn't physically talk throughout the film but we get to hear his thoughts through the letters he writes to his absent and elusive father. It's through these heartfelt, emotional performances that the film really resonates. That's not to take away from writer Andrea Gibb's endearing screenplay or director/cinematographer Shona Auerbach's sensitive handling of the material though; everyone pulls their weight in capturing just the right tone here. It's a such a shame that Auerbach hasn't made a film since as on this evidence, she certainly has the ability and a 15 minute standing ovation at Cannes would further fuel that.
A sweet and poignant little drama with fantastic performances all round. A film with a head and a heart and good feel for the moment.
½ October 22, 2012
My heart ached throughout the entire movie. Wonderfully done...
August 26, 2012
I had this movie for ages and I only got the chance to watch it now and I'm really glad I did. A wondeful drama. Gerard Butler doesn't appear much but when he does, it's worth the wait.
August 6, 2012
Geez...I have never cried in a movie so much in my life! It was just so sweet and so touching. I cry everytime I watch it.
June 27, 2012
Light on real drama, to me this was a contrived attempt at a tear jerker that used character clichÃÂ (C)s and atypical actions to set up an unrealistic end.