Dear Mr. Gacy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dear Mr. Gacy Reviews

½ January 3, 2016
A very good and skill-full movie that has a dark side to most scenes and a very exciting story. I thought the performance by William Forsythe was very intimidating as by the way he carried out the Devil inside of John Wayne Gacy.
½ August 15, 2014
A straight to video crime drama whose intrigue is heavily undermined by a at times painfully bad central performance from Jesse Moss. The true life premise of the picture deserved better
August 11, 2014
Dealing and dicing with death in what is a fine portrayal of trying to get inside a killers mind from the late Jason Moss' memoirs. William Forsythe is excellent as the serial killer Gacy.
½ April 13, 2014
I liked this story, it was intense, it had suspense, and worst of all it was even more terrifying knowing this was true.
January 9, 2014
One of the best real life serial killer movies! Sad ending...
November 17, 2013
I don't care much about the based on true events thing. There were moments but overall it looks more like a lousy TV movie for most of the time.
June 9, 2013
Extremely riveting and increasinglly disturbing thriller is a true story based on a book by the films central character
who bites off more than he can chew. Not for all tastes.
½ May 27, 2013
An interesting film about serial killers and psychopaths. Based on a true story, the acting is great and the story is thrilling. However it is at times a bit over the top and trite, but overall a strong film.
April 19, 2013
Very homoerotic and creepy but still an entertaining one time watch if you can netflix it.
½ March 23, 2013
A breathtaking and disturbing suspenseful drama. I wonder why film critics took no notice of such a good film.
½ November 3, 2012
Very powerful! Getting inside a killers mind! Can get u to go crazy ..
½ October 12, 2012
William Forsythe is so talented, this movie made me realize how much a gem he is,this based on a true story movie about a college student who contacts John Gacy and nearly loses himself is worth watching.
August 28, 2012
Fact based, and the actor does an actual convincing job of playing John Wayne Gacy.
August 6, 2012
I came across this disturbing film on Netflix one day. It's been almost 2 years since I watched it and it's still stuck in my mind. Jason decides to contact John Wayne Gacy in jail for a school assignment in a bid to get into the psyche of a serial killer, but surprisingly at the expense of his own psyche. Disturbing story, to say the least. Based on actual events, I was sad to hear this guy in real life offed himself. This story is not for the faint of heart. Wm. Forsythe plays the best creeps in films.
½ May 13, 2012
Jesse Moss was awesome in this and i couldn't help but compare him to a young Tom Cruise but that still remains to be shown. Forsythe who i feel is very underrated pulls off the Gacy charactor brilliantly. this movie pulls no punches in showing you the dirty parts of the world that are usually whitewashed by Hollywood!
April 15, 2012
An absolutely thrilling movie. I loved this movie and watch it on rainy days.
½ April 9, 2012
Dear Mr Gacy is the true life story of Jason Moss, an 18-year-old college student at UNLV who established relationships with John Wayne Gacy, Richard Ramirez, Henry Lee Lucas, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Charles Manson as part of his final year thesis. He obtained samples of correspondence from and interviews with these men. The most prolific of these was with John Wayne Gacy.

Played by William Forsythe, Gacy is pure fictional serial killer, rather than the paranoid mumbler he was in real life. He's smooth, charming and witty. He's also sympathetic. You can almost forgive him the 33 murders he committed... Okay that's a lie, but when you put movie-Gacy up against movie-Moss, he almost comes off the victor.

Dear Mr. Gacy is an engaging film, but only if you take everything you watch with a pinch of salt. Moss's memoir, The Last Victim, raised several eyebrows when it first came out, with some arguing that Moss embellished what happened with Gacy.

Whether the writer, Kellie Madison, took this on board and deliberately went out of her way to portray Moss as an egomaniac is debatable. Moss killed himself during the initial production and they only carried on after talks with his fiancee. I find it hard to believe she was told the full story. In Dear Mr. Gacy, Jason Moss (Jesse Moss) is a fidgety ball of angst. No one understands his great plan (which begins with him sending pictures of himself oiled up to Gacy) and as the movie progresses, and he falls under Gacy's spell, he becomes a bit of a shit. He fights with his girlfriend, his parents and even contemplates sending pictures of his younger brother to Gacy in the hopes of getting some sort of exclusive. Bear in mind, that we're talking about a college paper here. When the leads finally meet, you almost cheer as Gacy threatens a bit of violence, such is the sniveling nature of Moss.

As biopics go, this doesn't doesn't really shed any light on the man known as Pogo the Clown, nor does it explain Moss's motives as being any more than a desire for an A grade. All of which is a shame, as otherwise this is a solid effort for a TV movie.
March 22, 2012
absolutely one of the best movies ive ever seen...independent movie but still awesome
March 10, 2012
Paikoittain tehokas ja Forsythe on erittäin vakuuttava mutta ei lopulta yllä keskiverto draama/thrilleriä korkeammalle. Forsythe on ainoa jolla on kykyjä nostaa elokuvaa mutta muilla näyttelijöillä on vaikeuksia pysyä edes siedettävällä tasolla.