Dear Mr. Watterson Reviews

• Mar 05, 2020

For a film that documented probably the greatest comic strip ever constructed, Dear Mr. Watterson is a true disappointment. It is pure, stylish, and completely unrelenting hero worship, which will certainly be able to induce nostalgia in many Calvin and Hobbes fans (perhaps the film's only appeal) but fails to do anything for those who are not previously acquainted with the series. Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes' creator, actually discussed his struggles with publishers wanting to merchandise his work despite conflicting with his artistic vision, but of course this is far too interesting for the film to include. It's ending is also undoubtedly forced, and tries to be feel-good but forgets to contain anything of substance, much like the rest of the film. What a sub-par documentary.

• Jan 05, 2019

Where to start. The film definitely shows what the strip means and represents to millions of people while still making it clear that there is no confirmed meaning that Bill Watterson has told us. Even with all of those good qualities the film does get kind of boring after a while and eventually just turns into people talking about random things about the strip

• Nov 07, 2018

This film was almost good.

This film was almost good.

• Jul 28, 2018

A nice, decent little documentary that I highly recommend if you love the classic Calvin And Hobbes comic strip like I do.

• Jun 02, 2017

I love, love, love the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes! This movie, I just liked. It's much too long for the little "new" material/information it provides. However, I really liked the computer graphics that are in it, and it revived the love of C&H in my cellular structure! So much so, that after this, I'm gathering up all of my book collections, and reading them with my 9 year old girl! :-) Then, I'm off to go play an inning? round? quarter?, of Calvin Ball!! "... let's go exploring!"

• May 22, 2016

Will have to dig out the books and escape again

Will have to dig out the books and escape again

• Mar 06, 2016

At first this looked like a vapid love fest with an awful soundtrack. As it goes on you get as close a look at the secretive and idealistic Watterson as one can ever hope for. Many of the interviews were top rate.

• Sep 13, 2015

A delightful doc about Calvin & Hobbes

A delightful doc about Calvin & Hobbes

• Jul 17, 2015

This documentary is little more or less than a parade of people talking about how much they adore Calvin & Hobbes. This would have made for a dull and monotonous affair, if not for the genuine love that radiates from the many, many admirers of Dear Mr. Watterson. If you are a fan of the great comic strip, it's quite likely that you will enjoy this one.

• Apr 17, 2015

A must for anyone who grew up with Calvin and Hobbes. A great story.

A must for anyone who grew up with Calvin and Hobbes. A great story.