Dear Wendy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dear Wendy Reviews

February 2, 2016
Lars von Trier wrote a film and gave it to fellow countryman Thomas Vinterberg. Both has done exceptional movie work several times but this is something quite different: It's nothing special.

Well, it's a group of younger kids and their love for guns. There are some trouble and there are some action, but there is no great momentum here.
Dick - our main guy, is some kind of loser and his friends are no big guns (hoho) either. When their intrest of guns escalate there are some sort of turn here, and it's them against the world.

It's hard for me to stay interested and it's not thrilling or entertaining. Not a inspirational or heartfelt film either. The idea that this is a anti-film put against the USA's love of guns are alive but not supported by many - me included. It felt half-hearted, but I'm guessing there are some hidden meanings here. I never got it, and I never bothered to google it.

4 out of 10 targets.
½ September 27, 2015
Its mad rush to offer shallow takes on every Big American Issue would be offensive if it weren't so misguided. It's almost cute the way Dear Wendy thinks it knows what it's talking about and then just keeps going and going long after it's stopped making sense.
June 13, 2015
von Trier is why my MUBI user name is Dogville59. He wrote Dear Wendy and along with direction by Thomas Vinterberg made this movie. Trier is able to scathingly expose American insanity in this case via its obsession with the gun.Gun proponents should watch this movie. Powerful and cuts through the dark side of America as only Trier can: the same way Dogville does. No wonder a certain segment of America hates him.
May 20, 2015
I thought this was a sharp bit of satire about a group of young social misfits who develop a fascination with guns. They form a strange, insular social group called "The Dandies" that makes them feel more powerful and self-assured, while also divorcing them from reality. Their loss of a firm grip on reality leads to a bizarre, violent climax.
December 3, 2014
It's easy for me to be generous with Lars von Trier and Mark Webber and critiques of violence or gun culture... but this one misses what should've been a promising mark.
February 20, 2014
"Dear Wendy" is pretentious--it's also a visceral thrill with some fine writing.
December 31, 2013
What a film! Great story, awesome cast... brilliantly directed.
December 7, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
½ June 15, 2012
wached it once might wanna wach it again.
June 6, 2012
Non. Je ne peux pas mettre de mots sur cette oeuvre.

J'essaie de mettre le doigt sur ce qu'elle m'a fait ressentir, mais le contraste était trop puissant, trop... harmonisé pour que je puisse identifier quoi que ce soit. L'oeuvre est majeure, et m'a sincèrement marqué.

L'histoire commence pourtant calmement, et elle tisse lentement sa toile autour du spectateur, qui se laissera prendre de court par la suite des évènements. Car, qu'est-ce que réellement le pacifisme, sinon de s'empêcher à tout prix d'être violent?
½ May 19, 2012
Absurd allegorical drama in which a group of youngsters - or 'Dandies' if you will - fall in love with and marry their firearms. Seriously interesting, seriously flawed.
April 25, 2012
To the casual viewer one might think that is this an anti-american movie specially considering that it is written by Lars Von Tier they might be right,but I think it's more than that.

I look at it not only as an anti-gun movie but also america's love affair with firearms in genral take in account the fact the dandies uses pistol's to go up again heavy armed police officers at the end..there is so much said in this movie it's no wonder it's lost on most people.
March 31, 2012
Jamie Bell!!! I wanna see it!!!!! argh!!
November 26, 2011
I really enjoyed this film. The story was cute turned nasty which should have given me a clue who the writer was but I didn't catch on. I was a little confused over the message, it was clearly a comment on the gun laws in the USA but I wasn't sure which way it was headed until the end, and seeing that Lars von Trier wrote it and knowing his opinions on American culture then there was no more doubt. A very cool film.
½ October 17, 2011
Thomas Vinterberg And Lars Von Trier cooperation
October 3, 2011
Film que representa la dicotomía entre la cámara entrometida de Vinterberg y un guión metafórico e inteligente que recuerda a los primeros trabajos del gran Lars Von Trier. Un grupo de jóvenes pacifistas se reúnen para (paradójicamente) compartir su gusto por las armas en una acción catártica que generará inesperadas consecuencias. Jamás se había filmado un estudio tan estilizado y lúcido sobre la cultura de las armas en Estados Unidos, con esa relación amor-odio, aunado a la "necesidad" de portar un arma. Bellísima alegoría sobre toda esa violencia contenida que en cualquier momento está expuesta a estallar...
August 20, 2011
La musica esta genial, la historia bastante interesante y las actuaciones exelentes
July 3, 2011
This film has no internal logic. A group of supposed pacifists go underground in the mines to practice shooting their pistols... The law puts a teenage murderer under the supervision of one of these teenagers (who is supposedly a pacifist - well, you get the idea). Not much happens other than a group of misfits getting off (metaphorically) with their guns. The movie ends like you think it will: badly.
½ June 29, 2011
Funny, weird, original, and creative.
March 4, 2011
great movie!...the ending wasnt that great...the whole movie was good, but for it to end the way it did, and for everything to lead up to that...otherwise the acting was teriffic!!