Death Becomes Her - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Death Becomes Her Reviews

½ January 26, 2016
Meryl Streep is overblown, Goldie Hawn is underused, and the biting satire about a youth-obsessed culture can only be found beneath layers of cheesy special effects.
½ January 2, 2016
The issue of longevity is worth exploration, but not in a farce like this and especially with Meryl Streep's talents wasted.
December 19, 2015
Quite an amusing film with some very prestigious stars. The comedy and the effects are it's main selling point it just lacks a bit extra that isn't obvious from the film cover.
½ November 25, 2015
Perhaps unpredictable, and with great visuals, but this unfunny bad-acted movie doesn't satisfy or entertain, and for those who love Meryl Streep please don't watch, or will be disappointed with her silly figure.
½ November 25, 2015
½ November 13, 2015
One of my favorite childhood movies!!!! I love the whole fantasy aspect of the film!!!!!
October 7, 2015
A fun, light fantasy comedy with great performances from Meryl Streep and Goldie Hawn. Great score, screenplay, make up, visual effects, and art direction
½ October 4, 2015
A satisfyingly funny black comedy. Death becomes her is an original filled with great special effects.
½ October 4, 2015
There is not a more perfect casting than this nor ever there will be. Each actor/ress was at their prime form and peak abilities. The theme is still relevant more than twenty years after its first screening, Yes, call us superficial animals. All of us desire eternal beauty. A hilarious movie with a thought provoking message.
August 17, 2015
Had a couple nice immortality jokes but the story was too dark and boring. The best thing was the pop culture references. I mean that 3 second James Dean scene though.
August 4, 2015
A thoroughly ridiculous and absolutely hilarious satire of Hollwood's vapid tendencies and the misogynostic stereotypes that women have had to endure in countless "women's pictures" over the years, Death Becomes Her remains a staple in the gay community for good reason; you'd be hard pressed to find a campier film that doesn't completely collapse in on itself.

Note: It also contains one of Meryl Streep's best performances, which is obviously a weighty claim given her career. The woman can really do it all.
½ August 1, 2015
underrated, very dark and sharp edged comedy. It has improved with age.
½ July 26, 2015
The movie's absurd and over-the-top humor is what makes it work, not to mention a few truly memorable scenes and moments, even if the climax feels a bit lacking and separate from the rest of the movie for whatever reason.

7+/10
July 19, 2015
Dark, dark, dark comedy, enhanced by FX and the manic performances by the two unlikely leads (whoda thunk of Streep and Hawn as a comic duo??? But the girls work work work it!) that asks the age old question: "so you really want to live forever?" Think bitchy on steroids. Its a fun piece, a commentary on the obsession on youth and beauty, with a eerily grand performance by Isabella Rossellini at the center.
July 17, 2015
Absolutely fantastic. Brilliantly acted. Hilarious. Magnificent.
½ July 10, 2015
Rather baffling how unfunny this film is considering Zemeckis has a pretty good track record with comedy. Almost all of the [few] laughs come from a delightfully hammy Streep and the goofy body effects. Streep and Hawn both play such nasty characters that it's nigh impossible to care about whatever happens to them (whether through the course of the entire film or even through the end of a scene). Willis is largely wasted in a role that gives him little to do. A stronger script would have helped, and I also can't help but think this would have been more fun with a "light" R rating.
½ July 6, 2015
I guess out of all Robert Zemeckis's films that I've seen, this one probably has the weakest script, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. On it's own terms, Death Becomes Her is a pretty good black comedy.
½ June 29, 2015
whatever this movie was supposed to be it failed a low point in the career of one of the greats Robert z
June 25, 2015
The stellar cast is used merely as a framework for the makeup and prosthetic effects in a foul pitch black comedy about our obsession with beauty.