Death Bed: The Bed That Eats - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Death Bed: The Bed That Eats Reviews

½ April 5, 2016
People are too hard on this. It's obviously pretty dumb and not scary in the least but it is very dark in tone with some unsettling concepts. Creative and competently assembled.
½ August 24, 2015
A terrible film with some creativity in it. I would not recommend it, though. It's not a so bad it's good film, it's just TERRIBLE.
July 25, 2014
Not one of the best worst movies I've ever seen but definitely horrible and worth a watch.
December 17, 2013
It is artistic and it is imaginative, but that also requires the audience to understand the deep oddities of an imaginative mind such as this. So, for the most part this is a silly story about a bed eater.
½ March 21, 2013
Turrible, turrible turrible turrible
½ March 12, 2013
Death Bed: The Bed That Eats is not your garden variety bad film. It's a bad film, and then some. It actually has some decent plot to it, surprisingly. Before watching this movie, I tried to come up with a backstory for this thing in my head just to see what it would end up being. I was wrong altogether, but the film is kind of creative. That's not to say that it's a good film. It's a pretty bad one, but I love how they took a completely stupid concept and just ran with it for all that it's worth. It wasn't officially released by anyone until the early 2000's, despite being made in the late 1970's, so you can see just how cult this movie really is. Available on bootlegs for years, this movie is now out for all to enjoy. Uh, that is, if you can find any enjoyment in it at all.
February 24, 2013
Thanks Patton Oswalt!
February 16, 2013
If the title puts you off, then certainly don't watch this film. If, however, you are willing to accept the premises implicit in the title, then you just might enjoy this craptastic little horror film that features bad acting, poor storytelling, etc. but manages to be hilarious and engaging throughout. Pure crap through and through, Death Bed manages to still be a surrealistic, bizarre, and completely original horror film that certainly won't provoke any real thought but will leave you laughing throughout.
October 15, 2012
Death Bed was made in 1977 but it didn't receive a release until 2004. Creator George Barry tried to get it released at the time but he was, perhaps unsurprisingly, knocked back by various distributors. The reports are that he thought the film was lost until he found a pirated copy of the film many years later and this time managed to get a release.

The premise sounds too ludicrous to exist let alone to form a coherent film. In truth the film isn't that coherent, instead it plays almost like a psychedelic stream of conciousness.

In the opening scene a young couple are seen sneaking into a house. They then find the bed and promptly end their search there, I needn't elaborate on the reason why. They arrive with a bottle of wine and a bucket of southern fried chicken, also there is an apple on the bed. The bed consumes the apple, as if to demonstrate to us just how awesome its powers are. It then drinks the wine and eats the chicken, I'm not making this up! Then of course it devours the couple, not before they have discovered the remnants of their already consumed picnic though.

The narrative, such as it is, is described by a voice-over which speaks of the bed in terms of a living being, perhaps a demon. It transpires quite quickly that the voice is man who has somehow escaped the bed and has been holed up within the wall of the bedroom, behind a painting. A full explanation comes from the man himself about halfway through the film, I wont ruin the plot for all of you out there who are about to rush out to rent this film. He can see out of the painting but no one can see in so he can see the victims. The man verbally taunts the bed at several points, the indication is that he has been within the walls, behind the painting for some time, which explains his rather chippy nature. The explanation behind the bed transpires that the it is inhabited by a demon, a rather unlucky demon which used to be a tree, then turned itself into the breeze and fell in love with a girl. This film still sounds bonkers doesn't it? I wont go into the demons origin any further than that because once again our narrator does so around 40 minutes into the film.

This is one of those films that seems as though it's going to be so dreadful from the offset that the audience cant help but enjoy it. In fact I don't think it's actually that bad, I've seen worse films. I recently watched Blood Feast, which was truly terrible and if not for it's pioneering (I use the word loosely) depiction of gore I would have been much less forgiving. It's difficult to pin Death Bed down or make even to comparisons. Perhaps if Dr. Strangely Strange made a horror film it would end up a bit like this. Undeniably odd, surreal and uneven yet compelling and difficult to dislike.

Death Bed: The Bed That Eats may well be the weirdest and wackiest film I've ever seen but it certainly entertains and is a film that I'm glad I have seen.

NB: I have decided to score this 4 out of 5 but really this transcends any formal rating systems. Perhaps I could give it 4 posters (eek, review shall end there).
½ October 8, 2012
Okay, the rating is very middle of the road, but I must stress that it is a reflection of the enjoyment of poking fun at the film, which is largely awful, not the actual quality of what you will see on the screen.

Well worth a look with friends and booze, if only to see what that whole Patton Oswalt routine was about from a few years ago.

Rental.
September 29, 2012
don't let the title fool you, this Z-lister isn't just unskilled, it's unwatchable - I've been to funnier funerals
July 28, 2012
I can't believe this movie is even on here!

I'm giving this movie a really low score, well for one, because it was just aweful lol, but mostly because I'm not sure what the director was trying to do with this movie. If I could get a commentary on it, I think I could see what he was going for. But right now, I have to assume that he's just an idiot and doesn't know how to make a movie.

Ok...acting: god aweful. I mostly blame the directing, but terrible things are happening to people, and literally no emotions are shown. probably the directors intention, but it just comes off bad. poor choice. Terrible things are happening, but there's no screaming, no panicing, nothing. And besides the acting, I'm not sure where his ideas came from. A lot of the stuff in here is so random, and I don't understand why this guy thought some of it would be a good idea. This movie is almost too bad to be 'so bad that it's good'. And that's unfortunate. But there is a tiny bit of good comedy scattered around, and if you want to see the dad from Boy Meets World in one of his first roles, then you should check this out. Wait for the 'hands' scene. it's a winner!
May 1, 2012
Oh, Death Bed, why did I wait so long to watch you?
April 18, 2012
This is my favorite movie about demonic furniture that eats people.
March 2, 2012
sounds like the pinnacle of great films!!!!! :)
½ January 1, 2012
I give it credit for having a pretty decent death tally, but this movie is otherwise a turturous ordeal
December 14, 2011
Thanks to Patton Oswalt, I had to track this down. A footnote of the 70s, it combines the artistic excesses of the era with a hilarious horror premise.
½ October 15, 2011
Simultaneously disappointing and glorious. Glorious because it is awful. Disappointing because maybe Patton Oswalt built this thing up in my mind a bit too much.
½ August 19, 2011
The worst thing I have ever seen. I have no idea how anyone could possibly find this even the slightest bit good. Awful acting, awful effects, awful soundtrack, awful plot, the whole thing is just plain awful. This was even too bad for our 'terrible movie night'.