Death Note (Desu nto) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Death Note (Desu nto) Reviews

June 15, 2018
Freaking excellent. Did not expect to enjoy this movie so much, and that ending. Wow!
October 26, 2017
Great Japanese movie Based on the Manga/anime series, I really like this movie
September 2, 2017
A fun live action adaptation of the manga/anime series.
August 31, 2017
pretty decent adaption
August 30, 2017
Very good movie. The story does a good job on keeping much of its source intact, even if it rushes through much of the manga in its 2 hour runtime, and creates an entertaining and well-performed adaptation, despite some questionable graphics and an occasional soap opera tone.
½ August 26, 2017
No originality built into this movie, Acting is pretty boring, turns into a say-do between Ryuk and Light, Plot holes EVERYWHERE. If you didn't watch the Anime you would be confused as hell. Leaves a very stale taste. Very bad acting, very poorly put together.
June 11, 2017
Everything is just done right
March 31, 2017
I love it and I want to see it someday
January 13, 2017
A very good film, with interesting characters and a great story. It's faithful to the original source material but is something of its own as well.
November 30, 2016
This was actually really good. Much better than what I was expecting. I heard there's an American version coming out. I'm sure they'll ruin it. The original is good.
½ September 17, 2016
I love these characters from the anime, but for what they are portrayed in this live-action adaptation, that wasn't them.
½ September 9, 2016
The essential intelligence and psychological depth that makes Death Note so thrilling and absorbing in its previous forms (manga & anime) are missing here. The character motivations are paper-thin and plot devices are handled clumsily.

The original manga/anime version of Light is wound up so tight due to his pursuit of perfect grades and a perfect career, he's already primed for the seduction of the Death Note's power. That mindset is essential - it's why the random delivery of the Death Note was able to take root so quickly and so deeply. But the film's version shows Light already on the verge of corruption - he hangs out in seedy bars and gambles on friendly basketball games. The film justifies his early use of the Death Note with words, but no feeling.

Death Note is set up as a character-intro prequel to the true tension of the clash between Light and L that will come in the sequel Death Note 2. If you're a fan of the manga or anime, you'll be drawn to this film out of curiousity, but it won't shake your affection or admiration for the originals. It's just not smart enough.

Full review at Drama-MAX
March 12, 2016
Good anime movie better than FF7AC .
March 5, 2016
It was a big hit in South East Asia. I received the DVD as a gift from chum Ian last Christmas: not our usual fare. It seemed to me to be about the corrupting influence of power: our hero, Light, starts out killing crims but progresses to killing the innocent, cleverly mind, because he can. And more superficially, it explores the question of whether it's right to kill murderers, or does that make one a murderer too? Anyway it's all rather daft and lacking in texture.
½ October 15, 2015
Anime series is better, however this version of the story thrills, keeps in mind permanently.
June 25, 2015
I still like the anime a little bit better, but the live action movie definitely deserves the same amount of praise. I loved that they slightly tweaked the plot but still kept the mood and characterization almost identical. I can't wait to watch Part 2!
April 24, 2015
Smart and well written. Death Note isn't as good as the classic anime series but still manages to be quite the rush.
February 4, 2015
from Anime to live action seems pretty cool.
June 25, 2014
Original, high suspense thriller with a twist. Big fan of the original Manga series and the cast has been chosen perfectly for the characters of L and Light. One of my favourites
June 18, 2014
I enjoyed the concept of this movie, but found the flying god of death that only eats apples to be so incredibly ridiculous as to ruin much of my enjoyment. The pace is absolutely lethargic causing the movie to be too long and somewhat redundant. I'd heard great things about it, but found it to be merely okay.