Death of a President - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Death of a President Reviews

January 18, 2016
Powerful, clever, original and very realistic.

A "documentary" of the assassination of George W Bush in 2007. Much of the footage is of actual Bush speeches and the like, cleverly spliced with staged material to make a fictional story. It fits together so smoothly and seamlessly you would not know
that this is fiction.

Solid performances from the actors in the staged segments give this a very authentic feel.

Not just a good story, but a profound one too, one with great social and moral observations. It powerfully highlights the hysteria, irrationality and injustice that prevails in society, especially in reaction to a catastrophic event, and also the prejudices that exist.

I was expecting, with some trepidation, that this film was going to have some sort of political agenda, i.e that it would be a left-wing daydream or a right-wing attack on the opponents of Bush. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that it is very well balanced and has no real political agenda.
January 9, 2016
I am surprised at the low rating given by the critics. I thought this was an excellent movie, well produced and will messages that are still relevant. It is extremely believable. Cheney's attempts to focus on Syria, the fact Zikri was kept in jail even though the authorities knew he was innocent - compare that with the length of time people were kept locked in Guantanamo Bay for being in the wrong place at the wrong time - this movie is only too believable.
January 5, 2016
A great mockumentary about the assassination of President George W. Bush.

I was surprised how great the editing is. If you are interested in editing or sound design this is a must see.

The story is tasteful. I'm convinced that if President Bush was assassinated, that this is what would have happened.
November 6, 2015
Mockumentary, speculative fiction and social commentary combine to fuse an effectively told story about the imagined assassination of George W. Bush in 2007. The realism achieved by convincingly doctored news and stock footage can be chilling at times. Heightening the believability are the non-actory performances, particularly those of James Urbaniak (from Henry Fool) and M. Neko Parham.

I remember this film getting panned when it came out (during GW's term). Perhaps we were all too close to the subject matter at the time to get it or maybe it seemed like too much of an affront to our then current administration. Either way, looks like this mockumentary aged well.
½ September 26, 2015
It is a shame to see such obviously talented writers and film makers manufacture such garbage. I suppose this film went over well within Code Pink, but for those of us not scared to call a spade a spade, or a Muslim extremist a terrorist, then don't waste your time and certainly please do not waste your money.
½ February 14, 2015
There are a few good moments in this alternate history drama shot like a documentary. The problem is you have to really pull off the film to not make it seem like you are just using the premise for shock value. The way this goes is ultimately a letdown. Despite all the amateurs it had some good acting though.
November 3, 2013
It was a very interesting concept for a movie, and it maybe it was because I was tired. But it I found it rather boring after a while. It was all fine up until the assassination happens. But the events after were rather boring. It might have been better if it was made into a real movie.
March 7, 2013
It was pretty amusing-some of the video footage looked a little shady, but I thought it was worth my time.
February 24, 2013
Damn good movie! You just wish it were real.
½ February 6, 2013
The theme is overburdeningly political , no point denying that there is a political agenda . Donot go for the ethical and moral questions about portraying real living individuals as assassin victims or elevated presidents . Subtle attempts at being politically corrrect , to have a social message of not to label any faith or religious denomination on mere assumptions might be there ,attempts to go on record about the simmering discontent of Iraq war veterans and their families upon the loss of life or limb also may be underlying . The social message is well conceived and put forth . All these apart this is a very powerful sobering fictional documentary ( if that is the right word ). It is the story telling and the wave of credible emotions that struck me . A must see for any serious contemporary movie watcher . A wonderful film !!!
January 22, 2013
done in a very CNN-documentarian style that makes it beyond meager politics.
½ January 13, 2013
Truth or fiction????? A documental that makes you wonder and dream.
January 5, 2013
Absolutely incredible. If you haven't seen it, you should. Althought it is 'fake' this could easily be a documentary about the real life assassination of the US President.
½ December 25, 2012
Suprisingly, very good. Chilling in fact. Very realistic and done tastefully. The focus was not on the politics but on the emotions conveyed by the "eye witnessess". The assassination scene was 2 mins of the entire movie. Think Crash, done documentary style. Worth a rent.
September 22, 2012
If only it was for real!
September 20, 2012
This movie is so interesting. And every thinking person should see this movie and once you see it you will understand how powerful this movie is
½ May 23, 2012
I liked the complexity of the story, and the assassination aspect, but I didn't like how they had his staff fawn all over him like he was some sort of angel.
May 4, 2012
This movie is a make you think movie. I just watched it because the little description I saw for it said it examined what would happen if G. W. Bush was assassinated.

It does more than that. It questions so much that we as Americans accept or don't realize the real depths of what is going on in our own government. How quickly "we" jump to conclusions. How quickly we forget how others suffer. It'll make you think. Please watch.
May 1, 2012
this is down right rude the person who made this need to see a doctor
April 30, 2012
Wow that was eerie. But well done.