Death to Smoochy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Death to Smoochy Reviews

November 16, 2016
One of the most bizarre films you can see. It's completely dark hearted and cynical, but it's also strangely goofy and funny as well. Robin Williams puts on a superb, wacky supporting performance as Rainbow Randolph, a disgraced children's television host who slowly becomes unhinged as his replacement, Smoochy The Rhino (Edward Nortion, who is our protagonist. He is completely optimistic, naive and dopey.), becomes more and more popular. It's a very different kind of film, and there is no real anchor to the proceedings as the ensuing hjinx spiral into crazier and wilder heights, however that is part of the fun, getting to see just how far they go with this completely wacked premise. I highly enjoyed it.
September 26, 2016
Death to Smoochy is a fun yet dark and twisted at times movie which kept me entertained throughout, I had never heard of it until recently but I'm glad I watched it.
August 25, 2016
Has great memorable moments and quite a zany premise but is ultimately paced too slow, repetitive and uneven to revist a second time. I'd say its decent the way it is
August 12, 2016
Hilarious -- so funny, ironic, topical. Brilliant!
½ February 16, 2016
This movie was funny, creative, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. People hate on it way too much.
February 1, 2016
Vastly underrated and very funny.
November 14, 2015
One of the most unique comedies I have ever seen with purposefully comedic performances like in back to the future that fits seamlessly with the feel of the movie.
November 10, 2015
Entertaining enough.
November 9, 2015
Well written with a solid cast. Very funny and witty. Can be watched multiple times without losing its splendor.
½ September 26, 2015
This movie was all over the place, and ultimately ends up being horrible because of it. Sure, there is the odd moment or two that is good for a laugh, but this is still pretty bad and I would not recommend it.
September 15, 2015
So many people hate this film, but I still enjoy it for it's sheer lunacy and cartoon-like action.
August 13, 2015
I loved how dark this movie got, yet for me it stayed funny. I liked the characters, seeing Robin Williams go dark was the best part. I'm also partial to the Irish mob moments.
August 2, 2015
One of the greatest dark comedies of all time. This movie has a small target audience: Intelligent people who understand and appreciate dark comedy.
½ June 22, 2015
A truly underrated gem. Robin Williams & Edward Norton really shine in this dark comedy.
June 15, 2015
Williams is actually pretty good but the script does him no favors.
½ May 23, 2015
One of the best black comedies ever made, especially given such a light and playful setting. Robin Williams gives a side splitting performance as Rainbow Randolph, at once effectively giving the audience a view of a pathological man, slapstick comedy, and expertly delivered lines of pure wit.
April 15, 2015
Some great names just a pity about the direction of the film which goes south quickly
½ April 7, 2015
Death to Smoochy is a funny enough dark comedy with a great cast. The premise is insightful of how the young entertainment industry maybe operates, with some great dark and comedic twists. However, although it runs smoothly and straight-forward, there are far too many plot-conveniences that slow the momentum of a well operating story. It loses track three quarters in, and struggles to pick back up. Regardless, and ironically, it is a feel-good movie where the heroes trump the villains, and all is well at day's end, which works especially well for this narrative. Death to Smoochy is a surprisingly underrated and enjoyable collaboration from a large group of respectable actors and directors.
February 26, 2015
This one actually provided many laughs! It exploits the greedy criminals behind charities and film productions alike in an over-the-top, yet in a still realistic way. Norton is funny and Williams is his old crazy self with the best lines (pun intended)!
February 15, 2015
Death to Smoochy has a lot of great things about it, but it isn't a great movie. It's a decent enough dark comedy with an excellent cast. Robin Williams is hilarious in his role and Jon Stewart is always a pleasure. However, the film is never really that funny as it is interesting. There are enough funny parts, but it seems like DeVito got swept up in making such a misanthropic hate-film he forgot that it was supposed to be a comedy first. The amount of dutch tilts are distracting as well and the Comic Sans MS credits are cringe-worthy. Overall, I liked Death to Smoochy but I wanted to love it. I don't think I'd watch it again but I'm glad I did.