Death to Smoochy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Death to Smoochy Reviews

August 12, 2017
I chose not to finish it. It's very obnoxious and strange. While Aladdin and Good Will Hunting are my favorite Robin Williams movies this one is one of my least favorites.
July 18, 2017
War of the kid's show mascots, as a shameless Barney stand-in steals the national adoration (and television slot) of a down-on-his-luck Captain Kangaroo stand-in. With an invested Ed Norton as the former and a cackling, chaotic Robin Williams as the latter, the right pieces might appear to be in-place for some fireworks, but the film never gets there. Hopelessly predictable and cut-rate, it's a watery humorless mess. The cast seems to know they're in a stinker, too, with a steaming mound of half-assed performances and a full gallery of awful, borderline-offensive caricatures. Norton is really the only one who seems like he's into it, throwing his all into the part of a hopelessly naive nice guy who falls in bed with a den of vipers, though Williams admittedly doesn't get much substance to work with. Jon Stewart is particularly atrocious in his supporting role as a weak-willed executive with bad hair who constantly, pointlessly lingers around the fringe like a wet fart. Riddled with holes and desperately short on laughs, Smoochy's questionable morals seem to hint that the key to success in show business involves choosing the nicer of two warring mob factions. Bizarre, boring fodder without a purpose, this one was a real chore to finish.
June 24, 2017
Yo this movie is actually funny IMO, big shout out to smoochy for promoting a plant based diet in 2002.
½ January 17, 2017
Ed Norton and Robin Williams star in the Danny Devito directed comedy Death to Smoochy. Williams is Rainbow Rudolph an entertainer who sings for kids. He gets involved in a scandal and becomes defaced and fired. Norton comes into fill his time slot as Smoochy the Rhino. Little does Smoochy know there are thousands of pressures behind the scenes of an innocent kids show.

To start off he has Rainbow Rudolph out for revenge and trying to set him up to get his old-time slot. He also must handle the mob threatening to do events so they can skim off the top, the pressures of the industry, and even assassination attempts. He seems to have more enemies than friends and only his boss Nora Wells (Catherine Keener) seems to support him.

Death to Smoochy is a black comedy that will appease some fans. The contrast of goofy kids costumes in contrast with murder, schemes and criminals make for a decent combination. This concept is what clearly hopes to drive much of the film's comedic output. I found myself laughing when one of the wrong rhinos is mistakenly killed. The performances of Williams and Norton are good, and Devito himself plays his typical nefarious character. Keener is an excellent addition, but the movie although the movie has some moments, but I did not particularly enjoy the movie overall.

-01.15.2017
November 16, 2016
One of the most bizarre films you can see. It's completely dark hearted and cynical, but it's also strangely goofy and funny as well. Robin Williams puts on a superb, wacky supporting performance as Rainbow Randolph, a disgraced children's television host who slowly becomes unhinged as his replacement, Smoochy The Rhino (Edward Nortion, who is our protagonist. He is completely optimistic, naive and dopey.), becomes more and more popular. It's a very different kind of film, and there is no real anchor to the proceedings as the ensuing hjinx spiral into crazier and wilder heights, however that is part of the fun, getting to see just how far they go with this completely wacked premise. I highly enjoyed it.
September 26, 2016
Death to Smoochy is a fun yet dark and twisted at times movie which kept me entertained throughout, I had never heard of it until recently but I'm glad I watched it.
August 25, 2016
Has great memorable moments and quite a zany premise but is ultimately paced too slow, repetitive and uneven to revist a second time. I'd say its decent the way it is
August 12, 2016
Hilarious -- so funny, ironic, topical. Brilliant!
½ February 16, 2016
This movie was funny, creative, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. People hate on it way too much.
February 1, 2016
Vastly underrated and very funny.
November 14, 2015
One of the most unique comedies I have ever seen with purposefully comedic performances like in back to the future that fits seamlessly with the feel of the movie.
November 10, 2015
Entertaining enough.
November 9, 2015
Well written with a solid cast. Very funny and witty. Can be watched multiple times without losing its splendor.
½ September 26, 2015
This movie was all over the place, and ultimately ends up being horrible because of it. Sure, there is the odd moment or two that is good for a laugh, but this is still pretty bad and I would not recommend it.
September 15, 2015
So many people hate this film, but I still enjoy it for it's sheer lunacy and cartoon-like action.
August 13, 2015
I loved how dark this movie got, yet for me it stayed funny. I liked the characters, seeing Robin Williams go dark was the best part. I'm also partial to the Irish mob moments.
August 2, 2015
One of the greatest dark comedies of all time. This movie has a small target audience: Intelligent people who understand and appreciate dark comedy.
½ June 22, 2015
A truly underrated gem. Robin Williams & Edward Norton really shine in this dark comedy.
June 15, 2015
Williams is actually pretty good but the script does him no favors.
½ May 23, 2015
One of the best black comedies ever made, especially given such a light and playful setting. Robin Williams gives a side splitting performance as Rainbow Randolph, at once effectively giving the audience a view of a pathological man, slapstick comedy, and expertly delivered lines of pure wit.