Death Trance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Death Trance Reviews

September 6, 2014
90 minutes of my life I will never get back.
½ April 5, 2014
An apocalyptic samurai, ninja, sci-fi western fantasy with characters that wouldn't look out of place in 'Soul Calibur', 'Mortal Kombat' and various other Japanese RPG videogames, that is how I can best describe this eye popping flick, odd title though.

The main star here is again the ultra cool Tak Sakaguchi, here in a kind of supernatural samurai mode as a mythic character who drags a coffin behind him everywhere he goes (and an odd little girl in your typical Japanese 'The Ring' spooky fashion) as he basically slaughters all who stand before him. His name is 'Grave' and he searches for the ultimate battle...rock on that!

This film is pretty similar to 'Versus' in the location (a forest), it stars Tak as some kind of super hero again and the fact the story is really quite bizarre and makes no real sense, plus it appears to be in a place and time that don't exist. So basically Tak has nicked the coffin from a temple and is taking it to a spot in the forest so it can grant him anything he wants...it seems the coffin can do this. Or does it? a monk is also after Tak and the coffin to stop it being opened and releasing the Goddess of destruction who will kick start an apocalypse...that's not a good thing. The monk is aided by...wait for it...Steven Seagal Jr. yep that's right, or his real name Kentaro Seagal (sounds like a 'Mortal Kombat' character), all of them battle bandits and non human creatures to reach their respective goals.

The film is fast and furious with fights breaking out all over the show and many of them being...well kinda average actually. Most seem too frantic and you can see the hits aren't making contact, also to be honest Tak isn't really a well built guy, he's cool but he doesn't really come across as tough and never really looks like he could really be whipping hordes of bad guys endlessly.

The look of the film is really what sets this apart, all the costumes are a kind of cross between traditional Japanese period wear with 'Mad Max', 'Water World', 'Conan', 'Krull' and many other fantasy type films throw in, it all looks highly stylish. Add to this a complete 'Army of Darkness' approach to the dark humour, camera work, extreme supernatural entities and wickedly evil looking weapons which do also include a kind of samurai 'boomstick'.

Put it this way, the director of this film is Yuji Shimomura and he was the action director for 'Versus' (eh eh...you see, you see I came full circle there) and 'Devil May Cry 3' so I think you can get the gist of what I'm trying to explain here, the film is pretty much an explosive visual videogame. Its probably better than 'Versus' in my personal view as I reeeally didn't follow that a tall, this is easier to follow plus it looks ace. I dunno why but the Japanese are just good at this kind of stuff, had this been a Hollywood flick with the usual overpaid names it would have been trash.
May 28, 2013
the first half of death trance is basically a keep away/ capture the flag type game with a chest and it actually took me a while to get used to the style of the movie. Sometimes the action was pretty cool with over the top fake crazy fight scenes, but then sometimes it was really lame with terrible moves such one move one of the characters used quite frequently where he would land ten or so quick blows to the mid section of the enemies. The move was just terrible and made each scene look stupid, there was also at least twice where one guy would miss his punch clearly by at least a foot but his enemy would still fall back. Its hard to look passed these mistakes but luckily there are so many crazy characters and settings and an all around zaney style to everything that it does redeem itself to some extent. One thing i found weird was that i would find it hard to believe that the creators of this movie didnt purposely make the handle of the sword to look identical to a large throbbing vaney penis. I'm going to look up a little more about this movie because that had to have been on purpose, quite odd. but yeah by the end of the movie i actually found it to be quite unique and entertaining and i definatly dont regret watching it...
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage.
½ December 5, 2012
What can I say, I have a thing for bizarre Japanese movies. Oh, and Tak is just the man, period.
September 30, 2012
I say I still loved it! But the fighting part was kinda fearse
April 18, 2012
I f+++in' love this movie!!
½ April 9, 2012
This takes you into a fantasy of martial arts and stunning visual effects. I watched this movie 5 times in 2 days before I had to return it and I rented it again.
February 6, 2012
My kind of film, you won't like it.
October 31, 2011
August 2, 2011
Too messy and too little of a story to achieve the greatness it's, perhaps, really searching, Death Trance risks to be a trance to the death. Still, action (really, the only thing sustaining it) is fresh, well coreographed and shows true anime colours, so tou can make through it alive. With a gunblade.
June 28, 2011
I leave my initial impressions below, but this line is to say that I had to revise my initial thoughts down to an 'it's okay' kind of vibe after a recent re-watch. I definitely like the film a great deal, but I certainly don't love it as much as my starry eyed first time viewing might've suggested.

"Amazingly stylish film, a thin plot is strung over eye-popping action sequences, well worth a look for fans of films like Versus or those with a hankering for something completely different."

Worth a look.
May 9, 2011
This is a really cool show esp. for those who love anime
½ February 24, 2011
this is one of the most great movie....amazing and a tougher movie i ever seen...so far...
½ November 4, 2010
The acting was fine for a low budget martial arts flick, but the plot was missing entirely. I'm all for a lack of realizm resulting in a man being able to block bullets with a sword, but a man just not getting hit by automatic fire at point blank range with no explanation offered is too much. Seemingly set in ancient times, we toss in heat seeking missles, and motorcycles out of the blue.... really just a guy on a bike for one lame stunt out of nowhere. Poor poor fights. Seems they had no budget for extras, because no one ever gets stabbed...or if they do they just never die. No skill, no flash.... just running and stumbling around. Just goofy.
September 3, 2010
One of my all-time favorite action flicks.
July 19, 2010
(***): Thumbs Up

Fun and entertaining (albeit confusing at times). If you like movies with swords, fight scenes involving said swords, people dragging coffins across the countryside, heavy metal music, and goddesses of destruction, you should dig this one.
June 28, 2010
good movie, i loved the different types of weapons, the fighting scenes, and how they used rose petals as blood in the final battle. the only downfall was that the ending was ok, wished it was a little better.
but overall good movie for those who seek Fantasy and Action genre.
½ June 18, 2010
This movie was bad ass!
½ April 21, 2010
This movie has the most phallic sword fight ever. And a lot of other sexy things, like Tak Sakaguchi and a bazooka.