Death Valley Reviews

• Aug 27, 2015

A subtle, creepy, and fun horror/thriller, Death Valley is a cool film, with an always great performance from Mchattie.

• Feb 18, 2015

The kid from "A Christmas Story" is in this horror flick...the movie doesn't disappoint! The acting was good, not really good or great, but it worked. It's one of those films you don't really hear about and when you see it for the first time, it's such a nice surprise. Check this one out if you like horror films.

• Nov 03, 2014

This is something I've always been curious about and never had a chance to get into until the Shout Factory Blu-ray release. A very watchable little slasher/thriller, with an interesting twist on the setting. Well worth checking out if you're like me and have put it off for this long. Rental!

• Feb 09, 2014

The film gets a split vote, where I admired its crafted thrills and moments of suspense, the pace is inconsistent and the very beginning could've easily been edited out.

• Nov 22, 2013

Why somebody thought cute little Peter Billingsley's acting chops were enough to carry 80 minutes of supposed suspense, I'll never know. Shots and entire scenes linger on him for a curiously long amount of time yet we never feel like he's ever truly in danger defeating the entire purpose.

• Oct 25, 2013

I'm being modest with the rating here, this movie was ok, not what I was expecting though, Peter Billingsley puts together an awesome performance, even if it was so simple.

• Mar 01, 2013

Death Valley features a truly interesting cast: Wilford Brimley, Peter Billingsley (the kid from A Christmas Story), Edward Hermann (Lost Boys, Gilmore Girls), etc. Unfortunately, Death valley feels rather tame compared to the slasher films of the same period. The film starts out well and begins building a decent death count, but then it just becomes a chase film for the last half of the movie, which makes it neither a solid slasher film or a decent thriller. Still, an interesting viewing for slasher fans who have seen everything else from the 80s.

• Feb 24, 2013

(***): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img] Entertaining, even though some scenes go on too long. Marginal thumbs up.

• Jan 24, 2013

By the numbers thriller from the 80's

By the numbers thriller from the 80's

• Alex r Super Reviewer
    Dec 19, 2012

In the early 80's, the Slasher craze kicked off due to the feverish demanding of creating new and exciting horror tales of murderous madmen terrorizing innocent people. Death Valley is one of many obscured titles that have been forgotten over the years due to so many other films that have been released in the genre. This is a very good film with an interesting premise. By today's standards it looks dated, nonetheless it's a fun, mindless and eerie Slasher yarn that tends to rely more on building suspense than having a very high body count. The film has its fair share of questionable performances, but what do you expect from a Slasher film? The film is one of those obscured Slashers that deserve to be rediscovered and cherished by horror fans for its sheer originality and entertainment value. While most rely on gruesome kills, Death Valley takes time to create the on-screen tension and atmosphere and in turn it offers something that is quite unique in this subgenre of horror. The biggest problem I had with this film was the casting of Peter Billingsley as Billy; I really felt that he was one of the worst aspects of the film. As an actor, he was painful to watch, and although an integral part of the film, I just felt that character of Billy really weak and more stupid than anything. Other than that, there's some great kills on-screen as well as some effective tension that adds to the enjoyment of this film. If you come across Death Valley, it is worth watching and it among the better forgotten gems of the genre. This film along with Just Before the Dawn is the rare occurrence where the Slasher film tones down on the body count and offers something more for the viewer.