The Deaths of Ian Stone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Deaths of Ian Stone Reviews

June 17, 2009
Original story but for a horror film it just wasn't even slightly scary.
½ June 16, 2009
The movie started off well, but became harder to follow at the end as the story became too complicated. The story could've been better.
½ June 12, 2009
silly donkey wonk. awful acting. one american guy doth not a hollywood film make. an isle of man production. quite.
½ June 3, 2009
A reasonable enough premise and intriguing initial scenes degenerated into a miasma of overacting (Jaime Murray in particular, over-emoting and clad in unneccessary rubber). The Harvesters, sent to kill again and again for kicks, were nicely executed in soot and scorn, but it all came over a bit Metallica when the "hero" transformed into a blond Harvester with hollow eyes and billowing hair; that mistake, and the risible nature of much of the rest, sank the film altogether. Crucially the film lacks the central quality of any great horror movie: it's not frightening in the slightest.
½ May 28, 2009
This movie started off with great promise- jumping right into a great idea for a plot, but lost any thrill about twenty minutes in, due to a failure of execution. A bit more planning behind the plot might have helped, and also an explanation for why Ian's Harvester form was such a laugh. A more capable cast might also have helped save it, but unfortunately, that was not to happen.
2.5 stars because it was a good idea, and the Harvesters looked pretty decent.
½ May 20, 2009
What starts out like a horror film quickly turns into more of a sci-fi tale. It's interesting but don't go in expecting it to be scary once you realize what's going on. It shifts fast into a sci-fi thriller.
½ May 18, 2009
A similar plot has been used before, in films such as Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge, Brazil, and Jacob's Ladder, but never better than in this intense spook-out.,
½ May 16, 2009
Started off alright, but got progressively more stupid as it went on.
May 14, 2009
Great idea for a movie. Its just a shame it was made like it was with such a poor choice in cast! I really cant stand Jaime Murray sorry!
½ May 11, 2009
it was not scary and failed to be an interesting movie.
May 7, 2009
Why does he became Axel Rose!?! Bah
½ May 1, 2009
When the Afterdark Horror Fest began a couple of years ago, I was genuinely intrigued. After all, I love a good scare. I thought there were some real gems among the first group -- The Abandoned, The Grave Dancers, Dark Ride. But I've slowly grown disappointed with the subsequent films.

Include The Deaths of Ian Stone among the latter.

The story of an all-American guy, played by Mike Vogel, starts off fabulously. In a kind of twisted Groundhog Day, Ian Stone is killed everyday. Only to wake up in a completely different life... but with the same people.

We soon learn the thing(s) killing Ian, are a Harry Potter Dementor-inspired group called Harvesters. Well, it's about right here that the film goes downhill. Everything becomes predictable and quite frankly, boring. All coming to an ending which mixes Matrix-type wear into the fray.

Mike Vogel does bring a certain amount of sympathy to the role of Ian Stone. And Dexter's Jaime Murray is kind of a campier version of her role on the serial killer hit.

I won't let this deter me from watching other AfterDark films, but I really hope they get back to the original premise -- that these films are too gruesome to be screened anywhere else.

2.5 Ball Point Pens.
May 1, 2009
Excellent! If you like horror movies that have thought of something new, you'll like this one!
April 19, 2009
Ok Ok Now I have given a review to pretty much every AfterDark Horrorfest film in the series and I love em all to a degree but this 6th entry for me was by far the best. IT was fun. Well Acted. A great plot device and hella entertaining. Why this film didn't get more recognition is beyond me. Like the Abandoned the year before. It rankds as the best of this year but I still have 2 to watch. I really can't see the next 2 beating this one though. Highly recommended.
April 16, 2009
This was a dull thriller film. Story just seemed confusing why an average man works in the office gets killed again and again? Acting was a bit lame, special effects looked dodgy and deaths scenes was over the top. No more to say..
½ April 11, 2009
ei vittu. vittu etta oli taas paska leffa. sopii hyvin tahan mun huonojen elokuvien putkeen. taman oli kai tarkoitus olla joku kauhuelokuva, mutta siina epaonnistuttiin tosi pahasti. en mina viitsi tasta kertoa edes mitaan. paaosan mies oli kai ihan jees nayttelijana, mutta muuten ei paljon ollu positiivista. niin ja alun jaapaini-kohtaus oli tosi huonosti tehty.
½ April 8, 2009
This is a unique horror film that combines demonic creatures with sci-fi elements.
April 6, 2009
Good idea for a film, shame it was an epic fail! The harvesters looked really creepy but film could have been a lot better, bit of a bore really, found that old man pretty annoying, didn't make finding out what's going on very interesting. Nail in the coffin for me was when Ian turned, I was expecting him to have a rather huge outburst of 'I would do anything for love.' A mythical creature based on Mr Loaf just doesn't cut it for me (and why did his hair grow long when he changed, is this really making any kind of statement for the character/film.. NO!) I was anxiously anticipating the credits during the last half hour and if it went on any longer I would have had a panic attack
½ April 2, 2009
It was a slow buildup but it did eventually satisfy all of my curiosity since I stuck with it. This was worth watching. I really enjoyed it.... I don't want to give anything away.