Deathwatch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deathwatch Reviews

October 23, 2016
A unique setting raises this film above similarly themed films. Trenches are gloomy by nature and it doesn't take much to turn that omnipresent dread into terror. For once, our stalwart heroes have an obvious reason to place themselves in such a terrifying place. The downside is that they don't do much with the setting they're given. We get a few scary scenes (at least one of them memorable) but mainly it's just relying on the atmosphere to be disturbing without the need for much else.
September 11, 2016
This movie is great. Not sure why it's at 25%. Very surprising. I mean there's possessed barbed wire ripping through bodies and evil trenches. Fing amazing!!!
½ January 16, 2016
ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
½ September 22, 2015
I remember watching this movie some 7 years ago, but I couldn't remember most of the movie. So, last week I purchased the DVD from Amazon and watched it over the weekend. It's a bit slow, but has good moments of suspense sprinkled with the occasional horror scene.
August 25, 2015
150430: I like this movie. At least three stars. Good simple entertainment done on what I assume is a reasonably small budget. The sound was a little poor until the title appeared but then it got better, or I got used to it. Lots of mud, rain and gore with a few characters that grow on you. Well worth a one watch.
June 14, 2015
An all time trailer tease but one $hitty movie.
May 16, 2015
Do your duty!

A group of British soldiers get caught behind German enemy lines during World War I. They weave their way through the trenches encountering few soldiers but lots of dead bodies. The bodies appear to be killed in a way that does not resemble war. Shortly after making the discovery, some of the British troops start disappearing. Will any of the soldiers get out of the trenches alive with this unknown enemy tracking them down?

"Thank fuck he's on our side!"

Michael J. Bassett, director of Wilderness, Solomon Kane, Silent Hill: Revelation 3D, and episodes from the television series Power, Strike back, and Da Vinci's Demons, delivers Deathwatch. The storyline for this picture is interesting, as are the characters in the film, but the horror elements were disappointing and below par. The acting was okay and the cast includes Jamie Bell, Laurence Fox, Kris Marshall, Torben Liebrecht, and Andy Serkis.

"I'm only twenty and I've already been shot four times."

I came across this on Netflix and decided to add it to my queue. I thought this had potential and elements of this film were very good, but the primary plot/horror elements were poorly executed and not that dramatic. Overall, this may be worth watching once off cable but I wouldn't go too far out of my way to see it.

"We are alive. We are still alive."

Grade: C-
½ April 15, 2015
Around the first 20 minutes, I began seeing this flick more as a war movie rather than a ghost movie. It helped me enjoy it better as most supernatural aspects were ditched in favor of ghostly possessions. Actually, this movie may have done better if it was a straight war movie where the characters go crazy rather than get possessed. Anyway, it wasn't a terrible movie and the ending was a decent way to close it off.
½ January 14, 2015
It has a promising premise, but quickly devolves into guys rolling around in the mud for an hour and a half. It's never really made clear what exactly it is that is stalking the soldiers. I gathered that the bunker was just haunted and occasionally graboids would come from the ground to get people.

The acting is actually pretty good, but it's all for nothing. There's no clear indication as to what is going on (whether they're being stalked, the place is haunted, they're all dead, or they're all going crazy from gas) and there's no real "bad guy". Andy Serkis could kind of be seen as the villain, but every character outside of Shakespeare does something bad. So with no clear cut villain, it was hard to care when they all started dying one by one. Only three of the characters are killed off by something supernatural and the supernatural elements happen too sporadically. The ending is also a bit lame, as it was predictable in the "oh that would be dumb" kind of way.

A more straightforward and focused plot would have been much better. It's too scatterbrained and very little happens to make this enjoyable, even if on the surface it looks good.
December 16, 2014
Grim and dark. The actors pull of good performances in a confusing story. But the special effects are...effective.
October 25, 2014
"Deathwatch" is not the be-all or end-all of horror movies, but it is an interesting one, nevertheless. I was intrigued by the film, if only for the fact it's the first horror film I've seen set during the First World War. The film begins on the Western Front in 1917, where a group of ten British soldiers find themselves lost in a fog after an attack and soon find a German trench which is abandoned save for three Germans, two of whom are killed by the British soldiers with the third German being taken prisoner. The soldiers proceed to capture the trench and hold it until reinforcements arrive. The trench itself is a sinister place, maze-like and filled with mud, blood, corpses and rats. However, it is not long before the soldiers become aware of something else...of some strange, supernatural force which is beginning to prey upon them and which is either killing them off or driving them mad and is preventing all of them from leaving the trench. It is an intriguing, atmospheric film, though it can be incredibly slow at times. But once things get going, they get going. The film is boosted by strong performances from its cast, which includes Jamie Bell, Andy Serkis, Hugo Speer, Laurence Fox and Dean Lennox Kelly. The performances convey a sense of each soldier wanting to be anywhere but here, of the frustration they feel of being in the war, and later of the fear, paranoia and madness that sets in as each man is tested to his limit. The film, with the mud, rain and fog, is persistently grim, so come expecting something like "Blackadder". However, the film has its drawbacks--at times, it is incredibly slow and there are also moments where it feels like it's trying too hard to be a horror film. But other than that, the film is like a nightmare that only a WW1 veteran would have had, with its imagery of blood pouring out of the soil, of rotting, mud-drenched corpses, of rats eating off a man's legs while the man is still alive and of barbed wire coming to life and wrapping itself around unfortunate victims. Despite the film's bad reception, it has it's strong points like its atmosphere, its cast and its originality and I do think it's worth watching if you're up for something different in your horror.
March 21, 2014
Ever wondered what Andy Serkis looks like when he's not playing King Kong or Smeagol? Now's your chance. This is a great movie, Excellent acting (Jamie Bell) stars, and so does the WW1 trench setting. Mud and rain provide their own particular relentless horror.
½ August 27, 2013
An interesting turn of events, with a good plot twist ending. Nothing to special about the film, but it was a creative one.
August 15, 2013
Add a Review (Optional)
½ July 2, 2013
Unusual and intelligent horror, dripping in atmosphere--Extremely Impressive!!
June 13, 2013
February 1, 2013
Sometimes it offers something truly nightmarish and original and it chills and really works. Sometimes its just dull!
½ January 28, 2013
Jamie Bell was the reason I had this in my queue. It was the movie he made after "Billy Elliot". Set during World War 1, a company of British soldiers find themselves holed up in a German trench. It's almost immediately obvious what is going on here when after a night time battle it suddenly becomes day. I had thought that was odd and one of the characters even mentions it. In the trench the soldiers have to deal with a supernatural horror as well as they're own madness. The "big" reveal at the end was so predictable and to get there it wasn't worth the journey. This was one of those movies that left me feeling like I had wasted an hour and a half of my life.
December 27, 2012
A low-budget movie about a haunted trench during World War 1. Only watched it because it had Serkis, who has a few good scenes. "Frankly, it's all tedious on the western front in this bum-numbing bore."