The Deceivers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Deceivers Reviews

½ August 4, 2012
Great historical value, it reminds me of the lesson that we have not learned from the Dark Ages!
January 11, 2012
I thought the film was quite enjoyable. Brosnan and Jaffrey were fantastic, and the film moved nicely. Nicholas Meyer shows again why he's great at creating tension in any kind of story and pulls no punches.
½ September 19, 2011
beautiful and lavish as only merchant/ivory knows how to do engaging historical drama.
June 26, 2011
This is a true, but ever-so lame version of Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom. That is, without Spielberg at the helm. Kudos to Brosnan for keeping a straight face.
August 6, 2010
An interesting story that is sapped dry thanks to a few lame performances and some downright awful editing.
½ January 29, 2010
great locations,a master-mind performance from pierce bronson about the evil clan,"the thugee" in 19th century india,true factual story.Millons lost their lives to the sranglelations of the thugee.bronson plays gobal a man trying to expose the deceivers.a real history lesson 4/5 stars
January 12, 2010
If this story wasn't based on true events it would be a terrible original storyline. It's main problem is that it lacks good characters to transfer the pseudo-real life murder mystery onto the big screen.
January 11, 2010
Couldn't get into it, found it well made but very slow.
September 15, 2009
More intriguing than satisfying. Brosnan is very good, but in the end the movie just doesn't quite come together in a satisfying way.
August 26, 2008
The book was better. The movie a classy and sincere attempt to portray the story visually.
July 20, 2008
Good Story Ruined By TV-Movie-Style Visuals.
This had the potential to be a great adventure/drama. It had an interesting story revolving around the downfall one of the most ruthless cults in history (The Thugees killed close to 2 million people). It also had some great performances, including Brosnan's portrayal of a British officer who infiltrated the cult's ranks. What went wrong? TV-movie-style direction. Flat compositions, uninspired camera placements and lens choices. It makes all the difference in the world I've come to realize. Director Nicholas Meyer has proved his ability with actors and story in this and his other films, but composition is where he fails. His directing style works for the Star Trek films he's made, which are mostly set on starship bridges and small sets. However, set him out in the wilds of India and he doesn't know how to capture it. Also, could it be the DVD transfer or the film stock they used which makes the picture look so old? It was made in 1988, but has the appearance of a TV movie-of-the-week, circa 1970. This may sound like shallow criticism, but it really detracts from the film's appeal. If it were filmed better, I truly believe it would have impressed audiences of its day more.
June 10, 2008
I wish I could watch every movie ever made but I sadly don't have the time. I'm not interested in this movie because I don't think I'll like it or don't know enough about it to think I might like it. I may still end up seeing it some day though.
April 27, 2008
Intriguing premise but the execution leaves a lot to be desired, as the direction is clumsy and the script rife with plot holes.
½ April 23, 2008
A classy adaptation of the John Masters novel of the same name, filmed on location in India. Pierce Brosnan was somewhat more affordable and less recogniseable than he was later to become, although there are quite a lot of similarities between James Bond and his 19th Century predecessor, William Savage. Here the evil organisation being infiltrated and destroyed to make the world a safer place is the Thug cult and not SPECTRE, but it's a similar boys' own tale to Bond but with simpler gadgets.

If I have a criticism of the film, it is that it starts very well and the centre is taunt stuff, but the telling of last part of the story seems a bit rushed; it gives the impression of having been finished in a hurry against a rapidly diminishing budget.

One day someone will film the excellent sequel book, "Nightrunners of Bengal", but until then you have "The Rising- the Ballad of Mangal Panday"
March 13, 2008
One of my fave films. Kali Ma will rule the world, betch!
December 15, 2007
This true story is excellent period thriller set during the days of the British Raj.

Trivia: Explains where the word 'thug' comes from.

Great historical yarn, perfect for a snowy day.
½ November 28, 2007
Yup it really happened
November 6, 2007
Didn't like it. Weird theme.
October 15, 2007
Well..... the only thing that prevents one from laughing out loud at the pitch of this story is the fact that it is a true incident, and this actually happenned.

Piece Brosnan disguising as a desi.... though 50% of the time his accent is the British one, and people cant figure out what is going on..... there was one scene though, where it did appear that he was trying out the desi accent ......

The story of the Thugs, the serial killing cult in 1850 India who have reportedely killed 2 million people over 300 years, is these days coming under scrutiny as being a fable by the east india company to scare the locals into the need for protection.

All of Saeed Jaffery, Shashi Kapoor and Brosnan are quite good in the film, and there are some interesting twists in the movie as well..... the only dowside is that the pace of the movie is quite slow, which is usually the case with Merchant Ivory films....

The sets are quite elaborate and it gives you the look of a decent budget movie......

I dont agree that there were Muslims in the cult who were also followers of Kali..... I mean, if they were followers of Kali, as a Goddess, then they werent Muslims were they :)
August 31, 2007
An English officer smudges oil-paint on his face to imitate an Indian and chases after the Thugs. Isn't it incredible?