December Boys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

December Boys Reviews

½ January 2, 2013
The locations are great, but the story is too soapy, boring and uninvolving. Daniel Radcliffe tried so hard to make the transition from Harry Potter to a character actor, but this movie didn't help at all. The performances are very bad and the screenplay doesn't amuse, it's more depressing and mystical than familiar.
November 12, 2012
December Boys bathes in the summer sun and sea breezes even as it exudes the energy of youth and promise. The cinematography by David Connell is grand and beautiful, with magnificent locations in Adelaide and Kangaroo Island. The performances are strong all around. Cormie really deserves the star billing he's denied, but Radcliffe certainly acquits himself competently as an awkward teenager in the throes of first love. Thompson is believably noble as an elderly husband who cannot stop the advance of the disease that is taking his wife from him, bit by bit, every day. And McQuade is heartbreaking no matter how lame the dialogue she's given in Mark Rosenberg's screenplay. Third-rate special effects notwithstanding, spirituality is one of the central themes of "December Boys," or, more correctly, faith, not just in divine power, but in our fellow man. Though familiar as an old shoe, this is straightforward and well told...

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)
October 10, 2012
I like it just because Daniel Radcliffe are in it. Actually it's very bad!
September 19, 2012
dame there is a lot of x scenes
September 15, 2012
Well after David Copperfield, I thought I should try to take a look at Daniel Radcliffe's other films besides Harry Potter. So here's my review for December Boys.

Plot: Four orphan boys that name themselves Maps, Misty, Spark and Spit live in a Roman Catholic orphanage in Australia who called themselves the December Boys because they are all born in December. For their birthday the pastor that runs the orphanage sends them to a holiday at the beach living with a couple that are friends with the pastor. When Misty learns that the couple's neighbors have considered adopting and reluctantly tells it to the others, he and Spark and Spit instatly try to become closer to the neighbors, but Maps becomes distant he becomes more interested in spending time with a teenage girl named Lucy.

Okay this was not that good of a movie. It was nicely acted and the story did roughly get better around the second half of the movie, but unfortunately it's mostly predictable in the sense that you know what mostly these characters are like especially with this mostly being a sort of coming-of-age film, so you can figure out what will happen. Even then, it just had a couple of stuff that was...weird. Mostly with the horse trying to catch fish or just appearing at random times and also the imaginary nuns and stuff that Misty daydreams about.

Daniel Radcliffe/Maps: I think he did a nice job. He wasn't spectacular, especially since he was very quite and kind of just standing there during the first half of the movie, but I think the did a nice job displaying what Maps was going through in the more teenager/young adult. So this wasn't his best film, but at least he gave us a character to care about at the end of the day.
Lee Cormie/Misty: He was...okay. I guess the thing was that in some ways, you can care for this character with him always trying to be good and innocent and really wanting to find a family, but at the same time you may find it a little weird with his daydreams and stuff like that like I did.

And that's my review for December Boys. It had okay acting and at least a couple of things you may enjoy if you like the kind of coming-of-age story, but other then that, it's very predictable, and even weird at some point that at best you should watch if you are a fan of Harry Potter fan that wants to see practically anything with Daniel Radcliffe like me.
August 26, 2012
I enjoyed this coming of age story it was sad but heartwarming at the same time but Radcliffe puts on a perfect Aussie accent well done
½ August 15, 2012
Usually i never cry atleast when watching a movie but this i cried
WONDERFUL MOVIE !!!! Please everyone watch it.....
August 13, 2012
Pleasant movie, somewhat charming but not a lot more than that.
July 31, 2012
It was a good movie..
July 18, 2012
This isn't a kids movie. I saw it said kids and family in the genres thing, but there's a sex scene in this movie. The girl doesn't suit Radcliffe at all.
½ June 9, 2012
dan radcliffe might be able to have a career beyond harry (note i said might, cause you never know)...he shows promise here, and while he isn't the protaganist of this story in my opinion, i have to mention him as he is the reason i watched this in the first place...other than that, it was another one of those heartwarming coming of age stories, made different by showcasing a beautiful part of the world i am not used to seeing on film. (n.b. part of my harry potter trio side project mini-marathon, which included driving lessons & the bbc's ballet shoes and my boy jack).
June 4, 2012
This movie could have been better. Maybe if Radcliffe would look back, he will also be disappointed at himself.
June 2, 2012
This is a gorgeous film. It's got this nice childish charm that i liked and it made the film kind of sweet.
½ May 30, 2012
came for Radcliffe....stayed cuz i didnt want to waste my money. Kind of wish i left now...
May 29, 2012
I enjoyed this movie, partly because Daniel is in it xD It was nice and moving, however, forgettable.
May 28, 2012
The ending with the boys grown way up and throwing Maps' ashes was a little corny, I thought, but otherwise it's a really good movie.
½ April 15, 2012
Didnt really see the point of this film.
April 8, 2012
An ordinary movie with some bunch of kids.Radcliffe performance was good though.Not very moving as it is meant to be..poor story line
April 7, 2012
I'm in love with Daniel Radcliffe. Go see this movie.
½ March 31, 2012
Contrived with a heart breaking ending.