Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay Reviews

September 8, 2015
Similar to Penn and Teller, Ricky Jay has established his own style as a magician based on the influences of his childhood. This is partially a film about Jay but also a great tribute to the lesser known old masters who were well known in New York City but did not achieve wider fame.
February 22, 2015
Excellent and worthwhile documentary on the famous and incredible magician Ricky Jay.
January 18, 2015
fascinating look at a world you'd never know about unless you were in the know.
½ August 29, 2014
A fascinating documentary about Jay and magic in general. Slight of hand tricks that will blow your mind. I would have a little more personal information.
August 13, 2014
It's funny....I didn't even know Ricky Jay was a magician... I just knew him from P.T. Anderson movies! Turns out he's one of the greatest illusionists of all time! And this is a wonderful doc about his life.
April 5, 2014
I got kind of choked up during the giant ice cube story.
½ March 29, 2014
cool magic history lesson. lots of magic idols referenced.
March 19, 2014
Just watching this guy with a deck of cards is mesmerizing.
February 6, 2014
A paint-by-numbers retrospective.
February 1, 2014
Great look into mastery and the history of magic arts.
January 29, 2014
fascinating and well done. Ricky gives great history and what a fascinating life he has led.
January 21, 2014
Great access to the man with a lot of historical figures and footage. But after seeing the film, I don't feel I have any greater appreciation for the man than before I saw it.
½ January 19, 2014
Magician, con man, & husband, this documentary not only covers all sides of the man of magic , it 's also useful as a truncated history of slight of hand
January 18, 2014
An amazing performer and a great documentary.
½ January 16, 2014
Deceptive Practice provides a thorough look at sleight of hand artists of the 19th century and what they brought to the magician community, but the film lacks any true magical excitement.
½ January 12, 2014
I was fascinated by Ricky Jay as an actor years before I discovered he was a magician... which is actually what he's been famous for the last few decades, whoops. Quite the author and collector too. This is currently streaming on Netflix and anyone interested in the world of magic needs to see it. You learn plenty about Ricky but also about the many great performers who inspired and directly taught him so many secrets.
January 11, 2014
A pretty interesting doc on magic. Most of it dealing in card tricks. If you are interested in the history and seeing them done then check it out.
January 7, 2014
The first time I encountered slight-of-hand artist Ricky Jay was as the narrator of Paul Thomas Anderson's Magnolia. That voice. Once heard it will live in your head. The next time I saw Ricky Jay was in David Mamet's Heist. That lead to an obsession with Mamet's films & plays which in turn lead to obsessions with Joe Mantegna, William H Macy, and Ricky Jay. Now for the first real time, director Molly Bernstein takes us inside the tricks of Ricky Jay's trade. No, this is not a How-To on his artistry, but a sort of origin tale - a documentary that will drop your draw in astonishment while also digging a bit into the history of stage magic. I'm a sucker for this type of thing. Penn & Teller. The Amazing Jonathan. Fun stuff. But Ricky Jay is an artist. VF.
January 6, 2014
Interesting doc on Netflix.