The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years Reviews

October 8, 2010
Most unforgettable scene for me is Chris Holmes in his pool being interviewed while his mom looks on.
JTB
½ August 29, 2010
This movie was a pretty good documentary on metal and bands.
July 21, 2010
In its core, a hilarious, vicious attack on the 80's Metal scene, particularly scanning the Sunset Strip. It's always on IFC for some reason.

The film portrays the scene as a nonstop sideshow of delusion ("I will make it!") and excess, filled with fevered overstroked egos who are seriously all in bands competing as to who most closely resembles Spinal Tap. I would have loved to party with these guys but Jesus Christ these people have NOTHING to say. The dude from WASP is the funniest guy ever though, and so are the douchebags from Faster Pussycat and Odin. The "sexy dancer contest" Bill Gazzarri chick is seriously one of the most shallow people I've ever seen. I won't be surprised if over half of these motherfuckers are dead by now. Lemmy is lost in the mix, being interviewed in the distance and seen as a "pioneer", because he legit rules.

It's no wonder the rest of the world hates Los Angeles.
July 20, 2010
Another in this series of rock documentaries. Looking at hair metal and its fans
July 20, 2010
This really makes these bands look TERRIBLE. However it wasn't hard to do.
July 1, 2010
The Decline of Western Civilization Part II The Metal Years(Dir:Penelope Spheeris) Até Lady Gaga ruborizaria vendo tantos cabelos ridículos.
½ April 26, 2010
Rise and fall of Glam Metal.
April 7, 2010
im a huge metal fan and want to buy this movie. Does anybody know where to find a copy?
½ March 19, 2010
What a bunch of FUCKING CLOWNS! The loser dudes from the shitty bands, I mean. Straight outta Spinal Tap, and they're actually serious. I love the interviews with the kids who know they WILL be ROCK STARS just BECAUSE. IT WILL HAPPEN. Without actually doing much of anything besides teasing their hair. It's 80's decadence and the ME ME ME generation to a T. I loved the interviews with the more seasoned musicians though, especially Lemmy. That guy is amazing.
February 22, 2010
The best part is, half of these bands ended up going nowhere.

Or maybe the fact that they use Megadeth to basically say GLAM is silly and stupid.
½ February 17, 2010
Pretty funny how pathetic most of the people are in this movie but that's what makes it funny. Most of the music in this is hair metal which isn't my cup of tea but this is still a decently entertaining documentary.
½ February 15, 2010
Interesting film on the late 1980s metal scene in LA. I found the probation officer's "demetaling" program for delinquent teen headbangers insightful. Megadeth seem intelligent, London not so much. W.A.S.P. guitarist Chris Holmes needs help.
November 19, 2009
if you're seriously in to music and haven't seen this series, you suck ass. this is a good one to watch before Get Thrashed.
½ October 24, 2009
Like Sex And The City with bad hair and worse music.
The only worthwhile interviews were Lemmy and Alice Cooper.
October 2, 2009
This film is both unintentionally hilarious and sad (much more of the former).
½ July 30, 2009
So are you ready to watch 80s excess till the wheels fall off?!!? This documentary is both hysterical and very depressing. You have people believing 100% that what is going on is the greatest thing that has happened and will ever happen. The movie is summed up perfectly when a guy states "i don't work, i can't stand work" and Spheeris asks him "what was the last job you had?" and he responds "I've never had a job" The movie is also depressing because you see SO many douchebags in this! And how the music industry has turned into a conveyor belt,so it cranks out horrible hair metal music until it doesn't show any profit. The best scene of the entire movie has guitarist Chris Holmes in a pool sitting on an inflatable chair. He's drunk, his mom is poolside in a chair and he talks about his alcoholism and life as a rocker...that scene is shocking in how depressing it is.
July 27, 2009
have no idea what this is but sounds epic/hilarious from the title
½ July 20, 2009
what ever happened to Odin? there the next shit according to this documentary.