Deeply - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deeply Reviews

December 20, 2014
great movie!! good storyline and handsome men!!! plot thickens... all around good!!!
June 24, 2013
Bittersweet tale of lost love, grief, and the sea, with breathtaking cinematography of the coast of Nova Scotia in a haunting film that reminds me somewhat of Ondine. Lynn Redgrave is wonderful, as is Julia Brendler.
½ May 23, 2013
Canadian writer-director Sheri Elwood did this fine film set in a small fishing town where writer Lynn Redgrave has written a story that gets depicted within the movie as she tells the story to a disgruntled teen girl (Julia Brendler) Two films in one. Redgrave's story about a sadden girl parallels that of Brendler's. Kirsten Dunst plays the story-girl and gets top billing, which Brendler, who is very good, doesn't.
DrStrangeblog
May 14, 2013
Soggy love story of interest only to Dunst diehards. Here she sports some young rugged beauty, enviable long golden hair, and among the worst Canadian accents ever heard. The location of this isolated fishing isle is never specified so, judging from the dialects, for a time I thought it was near Ireland until I began picking out the faces of some familiar Canadian actors. However all the musical cues are distinctly Irish, so who knows? Regardless, Kirsten sounds like she spent some misplaced deep-fried Southern time.

Part of the movie takes place in the present where we're supposed to sympathize with a sullen teenage brat (Julia Brendler); part of my brain was whispering "Jump!!" after she climbed in despair to the top of a lighthouse. She meets a crusty old unpublished author (Lynn Redgrave) who recounts her latest work, and that's the story that sluggishly plays out during most of the film. Writer/director Sheri Elwood touches upon a curse that plagues this fishing community every 50 years and hints at a dark secret to lift the curse, but nothing ever comes of the foreshadowing. Much of the rest of the script is similarly underwritten with only a couple characters gaining any foothold, but at least the vital ingredient of the budding romance between Dunst and naval captain's son Trent Ford works.
½ December 28, 2012
left me hanging in the end..I think there should have been more to it..
December 2, 2012
Kristen Dunst had the worse accent ever!
October 7, 2012
Leaves too many unanswered questions.
½ October 2, 2012
Trent ford gets by with his deep eyes.
June 4, 2012
Very good love story!
May 31, 2012
Kristen Dunst had the worse accent ever!
April 12, 2012
I think this is a great movie but no one heard of it.... o.O
September 24, 2011
i had never heard of this film, but i like dunst so wanted to check it out.
September 4, 2011
Great story, good acting. It seems Lynn Redgrave was very good at her craft. Nice cinematography.
½ June 11, 2011
all in all this was a great movie. I really enjoyed this.
June 10, 2011
I really loved the story.
½ May 2, 2011
For a small, independent, Canadian melodrama, Deeply builds up to something quite intriguing and a pretty good movie. And the Kirsten Dunst stars doesn't hurt either.

A young teenager and her mother take a vacation on a small (really, really small) island so that the daughter can recover from a tragedy that took the life of her love. While on "The Island" the daughter meets a grumpy old woman who agrees to tell her the story she's writing. The story is a tragedy in the '40s on a similar island that involved a young woman and a curse she is destined to bare. Kirsten Dunst plays the girl in the old woman's story. The woman's story is the intriguing and entertaining part of the movie. The events of the teen and her coping with her tragedy, not so much. That part of the movie is extremely melodramatic, but is interesting because it somewhat parallels the life of the girl in the story. This story about fate and loss may be slow, but the mystery of the story keeps you interested.

Written and directed by Sheri Elwood, the writing is average, and so is the directing. The shooting location utterly beautiful and it's hard to shoot a shot that doesn't look wonderful with that kind of background. But in reality, with all the outdoor shots it has going for it, it's a pretty basic looking movie. Not too stylized. Simple, like the town on the island is. But I must say, this movie does keep an incredibly intriguing plot interesting with some good, smooth pacing, and a soothing music score. There's some interesting shots of the ocean that are mysterious and keeps with the theme of the movie: quiet, romantic, but with a sence of upcoming danger.

It's not unique filmmaking and the dialogue isn't all that creative, but the plot of the story is something different and intriguing, and the performances by Kirsten Dunst and the rest of the cast isn't as annoying as it could have been. Deeply is a soft and romantic drama, and pretty funny at times too, that is pretty good, not as bad as I heard it was, and worth a watch.
½ December 27, 2010
If Second Chance Love is possible...
½ August 28, 2010
Healing and mysterious in a classic way. Is this why people's eyes sometimes change to blue when they cry?
July 29, 2010
This is my all time fav movie ever This is amazing btw Trent Ford is HOTT!!!! Its amazing I love the way it keeps you guessing the whole time then at the end your like wow that was really a great movie!!!!
July 13, 2010
"Deeply" is a beautiful, mythic tale about love and loss. A teenager travels to a small island with her mother, and meets a woman 50 years older than herself with a secret and a story to tell. As the mythic tale unfolds, the teen discovers that she and the old woman have much in common. I gave it five stars because it accomplished exactly what it set out to do. Yes, you do figure out the ending halfway in, and if you are looking for something fast paced this isn't it. But the scenery is beautiful, the characters pull you in, and the story is poignant. I'll watch this one again.