The Deer Hunter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Deer Hunter Reviews

November 17, 2017
vietnam was cool as hell
November 11, 2017
A masterfully crafted movie on every level. Effortlessly keeps you engaged despite it's running time due to engaging performances, stunning cinematography and no obviously predictable story arcs for the characters. A cinematic classic.
November 11, 2017
Fastinating movie ...
November 10, 2017
The Deer Hunter is another haunting film of PTSD with Robert De Niro and Chris Walken at their top class acting
October 27, 2017
Watched back in Summer of 2016. Greatest Vietnam era film ever. Iconic scene.
October 17, 2017
A great one for my 400th movie review.
½ October 17, 2017
Nice enough message. I've heard it many times since then but it was probably reasonably fresh at the time - re coming home from the hellishness of war. Unfortunately it is delivered in a way which is just too deliberate for me and it feels like homework. It's long and it has too many scenes that are mundane and should have been edited out IMO. I know that part of the point is juxtaposition between the mundanity of home life and war - but it doesn't change the fact it's a movie and watching it is mundane at times which is not good. 5.3 out of 10
October 8, 2017
This Vietnam war picture is one the best ones to ever be produced. It has an almost overpowering direction by Michael Chimino, and some great performances too. You can nitpick a few minor things but, this film will quickly make you not care about those minuscule things.
½ September 28, 2017
It's a Vietnam War film in the sense that everything that happens is affected by the war but at the same time little of the war is actually seen. We see the home life of a group of men, their experience in captivity in Vietnam and their return home and how they were affected. It's an important film but is a rather slowly paced drama rather than the war film some may expect. Worth a watch but a bit overrated in my opinion.
September 22, 2017
Anyone could possibly enjoy this heartbreaking but great film.
September 11, 2017
If you've never seen it, find it & watch it - after all these years, it still holds up. Yes it's long, but never drags or bores. Incredible attention to detail, especially the flavors of a small steel town in Pennsylvania. De Niro, Streep and Walden are at their peaks, all cylinders firing at once. The famous Russian roulette scene is electric, masterful and a tour de force of acting, direction & camera work.
September 5, 2017
The movie takes forever to get into, but the final 2 hours are fantastic.
½ August 7, 2017
Let's be honest, that wedding scene was too damn long.
August 3, 2017
A brutally memorable tale detailing a group of men who serve in Vietnam and are left changed forever by the horrific post war effects. The film starts off a tad slow but once it gets going it is some of the most memorable filmmaking you will ever see. Walken, Streep, and particularly De Niro all shine marvelously in their committed, saddening performances. I was left out of air and speechless. Truly a film for all to see
August 3, 2017
One of those movies that was so influential that a lot of its plot beats now come off as cliche - the broken veteran returning home, the thousand yard stare, etc. There are also some pretty dangerous and backwards attitudes towards women, with characters we're supposed to be rooting for groping, threatening, and outright hitting female characters (in public! With no repercussions!). I also didn't buy Nick's turn at the very end of the film at all.

The film is, however, beautifully acted and shot, and the famous russian roulette scenes are as tense as advertised. Still, there are three or four "Horrors of Viet Nam" films I would recommend over this one, so skip it unless you're a completist.
July 31, 2017
Awards o plenty and well deserved!
July 20, 2017
de Niro as the deer hunter and each hunting sequence is among the most memorable cinematic experiences I have ever seen develop.
July 11, 2017
A drama film about friendship more than a war film, The Deer Hunter sticks to its strengths in telling a personal story about a group of friends and how the Vietnam war shifts their friendship in many different ways, boasting a terrific cast and top shelf direction, besides the fact that the film over stays it's welcome and has abrupt transitions, slightly muffling it's emotional punch.
July 3, 2017
Stark drama about how the Vietnam War woke up small town America. Should be required viewing in every home. Exemplary acting...And no, I don't think the wedding reception went on too long. It kind of had to, didn't it? for the story to have its impact
June 1, 2017