The Deer Hunter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Deer Hunter Reviews

½ August 7, 2017
Let's be honest, that wedding scene was too damn long.
August 3, 2017
A brutally memorable tale detailing a group of men who serve in Vietnam and are left changed forever by the horrific post war effects. The film starts off a tad slow but once it gets going it is some of the most memorable filmmaking you will ever see. Walken, Streep, and particularly De Niro all shine marvelously in their committed, saddening performances. I was left out of air and speechless. Truly a film for all to see
August 3, 2017
One of those movies that was so influential that a lot of its plot beats now come off as cliche - the broken veteran returning home, the thousand yard stare, etc. There are also some pretty dangerous and backwards attitudes towards women, with characters we're supposed to be rooting for groping, threatening, and outright hitting female characters (in public! With no repercussions!). I also didn't buy Nick's turn at the very end of the film at all.

The film is, however, beautifully acted and shot, and the famous russian roulette scenes are as tense as advertised. Still, there are three or four "Horrors of Viet Nam" films I would recommend over this one, so skip it unless you're a completist.
July 31, 2017
Awards o plenty and well deserved!
July 20, 2017
de Niro as the deer hunter and each hunting sequence is among the most memorable cinematic experiences I have ever seen develop.
July 11, 2017
A drama film about friendship more than a war film, The Deer Hunter sticks to its strengths in telling a personal story about a group of friends and how the Vietnam war shifts their friendship in many different ways, boasting a terrific cast and top shelf direction, besides the fact that the film over stays it's welcome and has abrupt transitions, slightly muffling it's emotional punch.
July 3, 2017
Stark drama about how the Vietnam War woke up small town America. Should be required viewing in every home. Exemplary acting...And no, I don't think the wedding reception went on too long. It kind of had to, didn't it? for the story to have its impact
June 1, 2017
Best War movie around
May 27, 2017
10 out of 10:

Incredible performances, spectacular direction, and powerful storytelling, The Deer Hunter proves that Vietnam films can be this intense.
½ May 16, 2017
Definitely a must watch directing is fantastic the acting is amazing it's definitely a very slow building movie but it's worth the long sit
½ April 24, 2017
A brilliant film, with a rather non traditional structure and often no clear antagonist, is only slightly hindered by sometimes overpowering music choice, and the fact that the jump between act 1 and 2 is mildly disappointing, but only for a brief period
April 20, 2017
I've never seen a movie quite like this one. It reminds me a lot of Full Metal Jacket. This movie is very contrasting. It's got hilarious moments that make you laugh out loud but it's also got very intense unsettling moments that make you think about never joining the military. This movie has made a huge impact on my life and I will be revisiting this movie again, soon.
April 17, 2017
Michael Cimino's epic is elevated by a sensitive direction that carefully explores the consequences of war, outstanding performances by De Niro, Streep and especially Walken, beautiful cinematography, and an incredible emotional resonance. This anti-
war classic masterpiece hits hard and, although it is three hours long, it never feels self-indulgent or bloated.
½ April 3, 2017
More cliches like the cruel Vietnamese (not mentioning that they were only defending themselves from the American colonials and warmongers). Bangkok is depicted as a corrupt filth ridden city full of "easy" Vietnamese women ( the film forgets to mention that these women are captured and sold by white American capitalists and that Vietnam would never have been a red light district is it wasn't for American led corruption). Michael Cimino is to blame for this corrupted backwards piece of crap, I am glad his career was ruined by his next movie.
March 20, 2017
Some war movies have it, others don't, but The Deer Hunter may have the most powerful feeling out of them all. If you can ignore it's 3 hour long running time, which may be killer for some people, you're sure to like this movie, analyzing more the effects of the Vietnam war on soldiers, a bit like an other good war movie Platoon (1986). It's a sad and very dramatic movie, with a great act by Robert DeNiro, as the lead character and also the most beautiful guitar score I've ever heard in a movie. Recommended !!
½ March 19, 2017
Dragged on and on, but Robert De Niro and Christopher Walken helped elevate the film.
½ March 6, 2017
A really good movie that was just way too long. They could have easily cut 30 mins or more. Powerful performances from DeNiro and Walken. Nearly had me in tears at the end.
½ February 28, 2017
In 1978, this powerful film showed a side of the Vietnam War most Americans never saw possible.
½ February 8, 2017
Overlong and tedious. It also lacks cohesion. The wedding sequence felt completely out of place. (First and only viewing - 11/30/2010)
½ February 4, 2017
An emotionally complex film that deals with the lives of a group of friends who witnessed and survived horrific experiences in Vietnam