The Deer Hunter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Deer Hunter Reviews

½ March 20, 2018
Amazing movie, just super long.
½ March 8, 2018
In 1978, this powerful film showed a side of the Vietnam War most Americans never saw possible.
½ February 17, 2018
Won best picture, so it is kind of a big deal. 1001 movies to see before you die.
½ February 17, 2018
A whole lot of fuck all going on. Apparently one of the greatest films of all time. I'm thoroughly bored
February 5, 2018
THE DEER HUNTER is a masterpiece, a brilliantly conceived epic that works on almost every level. Robert DeNiro and Meryl Streep are both awesome, but ultimately, my praise goes to Christopher Walken, who gives a spellbinding, Oscar-winning performance. The Russian roulette sequences are alone proof and that proves why this film is not for the faint of heart- it is some of the most brilliant filmmaking you will ever see.
½ February 3, 2018
Tension and great acting. Tedious at times.
January 22, 2018
???? ? ???? ???? ?????? ?????? ?? ????? ?? 79 ??? ??? ?? apocalypse now ?? ????? ...
I'm laughing...ich lache!!!
December 8, 2017
A seriously acted powerful drama that leaves you shocked!
½ November 23, 2017
Unforgettable performances in an unforgettable film. Once you've seen it you'll never forget it. A heart wrenching account of what it was like to live through a war like the Vietnam war, was is hell and that's what some live in afterwards. Intense and violent and as I said unforgettable.
November 17, 2017
vietnam was cool as hell
November 11, 2017
A masterfully crafted movie on every level. Effortlessly keeps you engaged despite it's running time due to engaging performances, stunning cinematography and no obviously predictable story arcs for the characters. A cinematic classic.
November 11, 2017
Fastinating movie ...
November 10, 2017
The Deer Hunter is another haunting film of PTSD with Robert De Niro and Chris Walken at their top class acting
October 27, 2017
Watched back in Summer of 2016. Greatest Vietnam era film ever. Iconic scene.
October 17, 2017
A great one for my 400th movie review.
½ October 17, 2017
Nice enough message. I've heard it many times since then but it was probably reasonably fresh at the time - re coming home from the hellishness of war. Unfortunately it is delivered in a way which is just too deliberate for me and it feels like homework. It's long and it has too many scenes that are mundane and should have been edited out IMO. I know that part of the point is juxtaposition between the mundanity of home life and war - but it doesn't change the fact it's a movie and watching it is mundane at times which is not good. 5.3 out of 10
October 8, 2017
This Vietnam war picture is one the best ones to ever be produced. It has an almost overpowering direction by Michael Chimino, and some great performances too. You can nitpick a few minor things but, this film will quickly make you not care about those minuscule things.
½ September 28, 2017
It's a Vietnam War film in the sense that everything that happens is affected by the war but at the same time little of the war is actually seen. We see the home life of a group of men, their experience in captivity in Vietnam and their return home and how they were affected. It's an important film but is a rather slowly paced drama rather than the war film some may expect. Worth a watch but a bit overrated in my opinion.
September 22, 2017
Anyone could possibly enjoy this heartbreaking but great film.
September 11, 2017
If you've never seen it, find it & watch it - after all these years, it still holds up. Yes it's long, but never drags or bores. Incredible attention to detail, especially the flavors of a small steel town in Pennsylvania. De Niro, Streep and Walden are at their peaks, all cylinders firing at once. The famous Russian roulette scene is electric, masterful and a tour de force of acting, direction & camera work.