The Deer Hunter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Deer Hunter Reviews

January 7, 2017
'The Deer Hunter' is another one of those oldies that damn near everyone claims is a 'classic', which then seems to imply that anyone who disagrees with this 'incontrovertible' consensus is automatically and unquestionably wrong and must surely only enjoy watching Michael Bay movies.

One cannot help wonder why such a long, bloated, boring mess of a film scores so highly amongst both film critics and audiences, past and present. Certainly, some of those who do like it would probably say that this is undeniable proof of it being a "good film" or indeed "classic". I would say that it is more a symptom of widespread unquestioned groupthink, and that people who watch it amd say they like it do so because, for one reason or other, they don't want to go against masses of popular opinion. Either that, or huge scores of people just have horribly bad taste.

Because I unreservedly fail to understand what is so good about a film that squanders a talented cast amidst a threadbare plot and characters that barely develop within the poorly paced (approximately) three hour long run time. And what (little) plot and character developments there are, is so poorly and sloppily executed, that they amount to more or less nothing in the end. Personally, I didn't care one iota about the characters or story in this badly edited and directed disaster.

If anything, the 'Deer Hunter' is evidence that Robert Dear Niro starred in some stinkers way back then in his hayday when he was lauded and (to some extent) overrated as one of the world's greatest actors, a view which has since been undermined in recent years by an acting career in continual decline due to a string of bad roles, film choices, and performances. Well, you can add this alleged 'classic' to his ever growing list of execrable silver screen title roles.
December 21, 2016
62%
Saw this on 21/12/16
Uneven and scattershot. The film has a lot of moments of authenticity, but it fails to connect them and ultimately succumbs to a lethargic pacing that's both testing and drowsy. Robert De Niro and Christopher Walken provide affecting performances, but they are not enough. The beauty of the film can also be seen in it's lush cinematography and scenic locales.
December 4, 2016
The Deer Hunter has the potential of being a great epic, but it's drawn out and misplaced pacing stunts itself. The first act focuses much more on ethnic details than character development and dialogue.
November 28, 2016
still watching its really a long slow......slow movie
November 28, 2016
A favorite but a definite tear jerker......The end is sad yet has you taking a deep breath of relief as if you are truly one of them there in that moment.
½ November 25, 2016
Cimino is a great director who takes his time in a long, careful first act before throwing his characters inside a terrifically tense, gut-wrenching second act that makes us deeply consider the tragic effects of war on veterans, with Walken and De Niro in spectacular performances.
October 15, 2016
First seen in 2016. There were some scenes that were way too long and some way too short. I didn't know a whole lot about but seeing the ratings I expected much more. The acting was good but the film just didn't put it together as well as it could have.
October 8, 2016
Slow, deliberate and heartbreaking. De Niro is superb.
October 2, 2016
The finest Vietnam War film of all time in terms of the emotional effect the war had on those who participated in it. Whereas 'Platoon' was probably the most realistic in terms of its combat sequences, 'The Deer Hunter' is most likely the pinnacle depiction of the horrific PTSD that the American soldiers experienced as a result of their service in that war. An emotionally shattering, overwhelming film experience. A true masterpiece.
September 19, 2016
Despite the quality of the cast etc, just blind US jingoism. Unwatchable.
September 5, 2016
One of the supreme artistic experiences ever made for silver screen. Sublime and raw at the same time, with talent and performances beyond words. Thanks Christopher, Robert and Michael, Vilmos...
½ August 24, 2016
Good, fun and exotic but a bit too much paprika
½ August 21, 2016
Classic Vietnam era epic with stellar cast. Some scenes are too long (bad influence of Coppola's The Godfather) but overall a masterpiece about friendship, sacrifice and love.
August 20, 2016
It's the 1970s, when the fallout from the Vietnam War highlighted the difficult division between warlife and homelife. When Walken did more than just mug, and De Niro actually tried. And when Hollywood films could be stark, scary, truthful, and difficult, yet still sentimental. The film was fine for the first half hour...and then we got to Vietnam. Holy Moses. Corny? Perhaps, at times. Powerful? You bet.
½ August 17, 2016
Vietname and America war bandaged by Good romance, honest plot and perfect casting. This movie brought you a trully tragic story about a main cast (De Niro) who become a hero for his friends at war time.
August 5, 2016
This movie is everything. It's a Vietnam war epic drama that talks about love, friendship, family, and bonding. It's one of the best drama films if not THE best film I've ever seen. Definitely on the top 5 my list. What's really good here are the performances, it's emotional , and genuine, you can feel their emotions which is very relatable. I've seen intense shit on films but this one has that very memorable intense scene which is breathtaking that puts you at the edge of your seat. It's violent I'm telling you, some parts, I can't just stand to watch. Set aside, this film is a magnificent piece of art. Brilliant directing and performances. A movie to laugh, to cry, to celebrate and to learn. Definitely a piece of cinema that we definitely missed today. Thank you for Cimino! Great job on this great film.
½ July 28, 2016
When it gets to the russian roulette scene... you can't help but shut the hell up... powerful stuff...
½ July 22, 2016
Starts off slow but it's more to develop the characters and the movie is pretty long but at the end it left an impression on me about that era during the Vietnam war.
July 18, 2016
With director Cimino's recent death and his reputation in tatters since the debacle of 'Heaven's Gate', I decided to visit 'The Deer Hunter'. Though over three hours long, it's astonishing, paced so achingly right and I can see why he rightfully earned the 'carte blanche' that would unfortunately lead to his downfall (as well as an entire studio's) as soon as he made his next film. But to reach such heights and to have such ambition--as well as undeniable talent--is a victory in and of itself. Just armed with the main five actors alone, at the zenith of their craft, a fine script (really the first interesting and well-deliberated Vietnam film to hit the big screen) and Vilmos Zsigmond behind the camera meant that this would prove something special. Scenes that will haunt you forever. My favourite shot is the incredible 360-degree pan shot around Linda's bedroom when she realizes she's given up on Nick and is going to declare her love to Michael--extraordinary stuff. What's YOURS?

Many film lovers who despise Cimino's work instantly clam up when 'The Deer Hunter' is mentioned...and there's a reason for that. It's deservedly considered one of the finest American films of the 70's--a decade that was chock-full of great ones.
July 9, 2016
Breathtaking and gripping, an awesome experience impossible to forget