The Deer Hunter Reviews

• 3d ago

What a dumb movie, it never makes a point and it's just so boring. We can stop talking about this overrated movie now. From it's cartoonish female characters to racist portrayals of vietnamese, it doesn't explore the consequences of the war and only wants to show how much the white kids suffered.

• Aug 05, 2019

Well what do you expect? Director Michael Cimino had to go to extremes to show the audience the horrors of war and the impact it has on family and friends. It's a great film that will stand the test of time.

• Aug 04, 2019

I was changed by this movie. It's hard not to feel a little different after seeing it.

• Jul 31, 2019

It has one of the most intense scenes you will see in any movie.

It has one of the most intense scenes you will see in any movie.

• Jul 14, 2019

Deplorably dull/boring, depressing, and slow/sloth speed developing the plot and characters. If you want to feel sad, hate your country, and think we should not have been in Vietnam, then watch this movie. It is an anti-Vietnam/military movie surrounded by garbage, nothing else. This movie brings out the very worst in man and portrays it as if it is in every one of our actions. The deer hunting scenes were comedy. They drive a couple of hours from Pennsylvania and hunt in high mountain peaks with glaciers... Terrible continuity. During the stalk of the same deer, they show several different canned shots of several different deer. The ONLY shot of substance was near the end, when the hunter didn't shot the deer. Many men have said it different ways but in general, 'If you have ever hunted man, all other hunting pales in comparison.' If you've burned out your brain blowing dope you might like this movie... Otherwise, skip it and save a long 3 hours of your life you'll never get back.

• Jul 04, 2019

Great acting and a heartbreaking story!

Great acting and a heartbreaking story!

• Jun 16, 2019

recommend watching this high/drunk AF because it's very long. Really rare classic movie

• Jun 12, 2019

So, is "The Deer Hunter" an anti-war or pro-war film? The movie endings with a grim yet sad song of "God Bless America". Interesting, touching, tragic, but full of meaning. Christopher Walken is just amazing in this movie. While some of you want to call this a pro-American movie, or propaganda, I would not say anything. "The Deer Hunter" is a war drama film about dilemmas and injuries.

• Jun 11, 2019

Only one shot, only one shot....

Only one shot, only one shot....

• Jun 01, 2019

This was one of the most engrossing and easy to watch three hour movies I have ever seen. Much like Gone with the Wind (1939) and Apocalypse Now (1979) you feel completely involved in the lives of the characters whose lives you see shaped by the horrors of the Vietnam war and the minutiae of their lives becomes important to you. This is a great war movie because it's not really about the violence experienced on the battle field but about how this violence changes once innocent young men forever and hurts those around them. This film was deserving of it's Best Picture win and of it's status as one of the greatest films of all time. Michael Vronsky, Robert De Niro, Nick Chevotarevich, Christopher Walken, and Steven Pushkov, John Savage, three young Russian-Americans from Clairton, Pennsylvania experience terror during their time serving in the Vietnam war as they are forced to play Russian Roulette in their Prisoner of War camp. They are able to escape after Vronsky shoots their captors and carries a severely injured Pushkov to safety after losing Chevotarevich. Vronsky returns home and begins a tentative romantic relationship with Linda, Meryl Streep, who had been the longtime girlfriend of Chevotarevich. In Vietnam Chevotarevich has become addicted to playing Russian Roulette and Vronsky decides to make one last attempt at saving him which brings disastrous consequences. I was amazed at how interested I remained as we spent a whole hour watching some very normal people enjoy themselves at a wedding as the impending doom of warfare looms. The detail paid to capturing the lives of people with very few hopes outside of finding someone that they love to marry and keeping their jobs at the local market was what allowed me to feel so emotionally invested in these characters. It was this first hour that made me so horrified when we cut to scenes of a family being burned alive in Vietnam and then to the torture that these three men face in the camp. I felt that I knew them and wanted their lives back home to continue even if their aspirations weren't fantastical. The scenes of Russian Roulette themselves are well crafted and tense as we fear the sight of a man's bloody face as that dreadful click sounds. The actors have a great deal to do with this effect of course but Cimino really builds up an atmosphere of fear and tension with the Vietnamese men loitering around them and their friends drowning in the background that leaves you horrified. We don't just cut back to civilian life either as we see how difficult it is to get away from the camp and back onto dry land where long stays in hospitals await them and it is difficult to contact their friends back home. The film is unrelenting but it never feels over long or gratuitous, a credit to the director's immense talent. The performances are impressive as Streep in particular impresses in one of her earliest film roles. She is lovely as the troubled Linda who is torn between two men and yet her struggle never feels superficial and I never felt as though we were meant to believe she loved either of these men but rather needed emotional support and turned to two people she had known since childhood for it. Streep never pushes too hard as there is subtlety and texture even in the love scenes between herself and De Niro and she pulls of the accent as well you would expect. I believed in these characters because the actors felt very natural in their roles and even with small gestures they were able to convey so much. This is one of the greatest Best Picture winners I have ever seen, I have seen 83, because it achieves exactly what it sets out to do and is a thoroughly intimate film that leaves you feeling for those men and women who faced this conflict. I loved the film and I would call it one of the best I have ever seen, although I say that often, even though it is a war film, not a genre I particularly like, because it is an emotional experience more than an action film.