Def-Con 4 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Def-Con 4 Reviews

½ August 2, 2015
A secret manned satellite w/ nuclear missiles is orbiting earth when WWIII occurs. In short order almost all of civilization in obliterated. A couple months later the satellite crashes to earth. Competing groups of survivors roam the Canadian countryside while the astronauts attempt to survive. An astronauts is killed. One remains locked aboard while another explores the area further, soon partnering with two other survivors; all are captured by a ruthless teen leader of the largest, and most stable group of survivors. At this point the action dies and the rest of the film is rather dull. Not the worst post-apocalyptic movie, but disappointing after a pretty good set-up.
March 13, 2015
The entire budget must have went into the artwork (Poster)!
½ January 11, 2015
Pretty much a run of the mill low budget eighties sci fi film. It's not horrible but I do not think I would want to watch it again.
May 14, 2014
A likeable low budget schlock shot with a bit more presence of mind than you would expect. Not Bad.
December 27, 2013
Def-Con 4 is a horribly underrated dystopian sci-fi film about astronauts who crash back down to Earth after a nuclear holocaust and their struggle to survive in the harsh wasteland. Though it has its cheesy moments along with implausible moments, I found it to be a very effective and engaging film. I found the vision of the nuclear wasteland to be very fascinating and I wanted to know more about this hellish world. I also found the film to be a very interesting piece about what people would do in such a situation to survive, especially in a position of power. I honestly don't know what people found to be so awful about Def-Con 4, and it is beyond a shadow of doubt, one of the most underrated films I've ever seen. If you have a penchant for obscure films and darker sci-fi flicks, I'd say to give Def-Con 4 a fair chance before dismissing it.
½ August 24, 2013
This movie was pretty bad, but I give it props for trying.

But the acting is pretty bad, things happen that simply cannot in the real world(the bomb surviving a drop on a beach from space, or a guy swimming at night in the middle of the ocean AND catching up to a boat?) and half of what happens makes little sense.

The Jon Bon Jovi looking villain is a perfect prick, but the lead guy is such a dope. Take his screaming at two bad guys to not pick up their guns, but since he is such a douche they ignore him and instead of shooting them, he just keeps telling them NOT to do what they then do.

Overall it's pretty stupid and looks super cheap.
½ October 27, 2012
Started out ok as 3 astronauts in space when nuclear war breaks out. Upon their return, the plot meanders. The lead character gets held prisoner on a farm then winds up in a prison camp run by a bloodthirsty teen. Script could have used polishing.
September 22, 2012
Saw this when I was in high school, back then post nuclear world movies were the latest craze (ala The Day After), thought this movie was cool back then and felt it held up over time...I think it's great for what it is, for those wannabe movie Roger Eberts I give you the middle finger instead of the thumbs up or down not all movies were meant to be Shakespeare, chill out.
September 3, 2012
Had potential, and the initial set-up was interesting. However, drifts in the third quarter, and the conclusion is quite lame.
½ August 13, 2012
Pretty ropy but enjoyable, low budget sci-fi that blows all its budget on set and costumes it discards all too quickly in favour of sand dunes and farm houses.

Probably just for fans of 80's, B movie, light sci-fi... to be fair the acting was passable and the story has possibilities that the budget stooped them exploring in a grander fashion.
July 31, 2012
Eighties post-apocalyptic cheese fest rife with bad acting, bad special effects - and a GREAT cover on the box. Oddly compelling, however, if (for nothing else) than the fact that ANY story set after a nuclear war rings as genuinely frightening, even ones as low-rent as this. Starts out quick and gets right to down to the depressing aftermath. You could do worse, but not much.
½ May 28, 2012
Saw this in the 80's. A bit cheesy compared to todays graphics, but that is why its a classic because its simple.
½ July 9, 2010
A prince amonst B grade movies. The world as we know it ends, people get eaten, all shot on a very low budget.
April 29, 2010
This is your typical postapocalyptic movie previewed by a trailer that has little to do with the actual storyline. Since it is set in the Cold war era, what wreaks havoc is, predictably enough, a WW3 nuclear war. The astronauts' standpoint is interesting and unusual, and the movie is generally good. However, some details of the plot are sketchy and the depiction of postapocalyptic Earth is rather uncreative (radiations, wastelands, military and paramilitary rule, slaves, everybody more or less lose it). Most of the characters are low-end stereotypes.
getshort78
February 14, 2010
Well if you upp some B.horrow Sci fi..this is a movie for you
December 20, 2009
I've been on a post-apocalypse movie marathon and this one was one of the better ones I've watched. It's a far cry from being up there with "Mad Max" or "A Boy and His Dog", but it certainly has it's moments and is better than a lot of the other "Max Max/Road Warrior" clones.
July 10, 2009
this low budget 80s movie was a bit disappointing. the cover for it holds so much promise, but the movie itself was pretty bad, though you'd be surprised at who dies. the story seems very rambling and the limited budget showed. i couldn't help hating the main baddie, not because he was bad in anyway, but because he was so annoying, so i guess he did a good job in a weird way.
June 4, 2009
A visual record of the 4th Annual Def Leppard Convention.

Nah, just kidding. This film is marginally more interesting than that.
March 17, 2009
Canadian made nuke thriller, is kinda shit, but not totally shit like a bunch of Canadian movies so it gets three stars.
March 7, 2009
[font=Courier New][size=4]It's too bad this site doesn't allow users to give a movie negative ratings, because if it did I'd take full advantage of that option where this piece of toxic waste is concerned. [i]Def-Con 4[/i] is beyond a doubt the worst movie I've ever seen and the worst film ever made; its director should be arrested and hanged for crimes against humanity.[/size][/font]