Delete Lovers (Delete My Love) Reviews

• Aug 02, 2014

Delete Lovers aka Delete My Love is a Hong Kong "almost charming" romantic comedy with a paper thin premise that almost works. A young man named So Po-Wing, in the film everybody calls him So Boring (hardy har har), one day gains the power to delete anybody in his life with a single wish. At work he is underappreciated, often bullied by his co workers and boss, at home his mother behaves more like that annoying criminal Neigbhor next door who asks you to hide his drugs when he gets wind of a police raid on his house. So, with this new magical powers that is never really explained he starts to delete people out of his life. But when you delete a person you dont necessarily get rid of them you exchange them for a version of the person that you think you want. There lies the faulty logic of this film which kinda gets looked into towards the end but not as fleshed out as I wanted. If you exchanged your girlfriend for a hotter model, does that change the past too? I mean, she just got here, but it seems that everybody else doesnt notice but you. There's a scene towards the end with one of the replace kids stating that she knew something was wrong because she couldnt even remember her childhood or first apple pie. Its during small scenes like this which are sporadic thought out the fiilm that are truly inspired. One of my favorite scenes in the film is when he gets pissed off at his life long friend and replaces him with a Chinese Tony Stark. BEST. SCENE. EVER. The film overall is goofy, often riduculious and many times just doesnt work. Its a feel good movie about family ,accepting what you have and trying to make the best of it. I found myself often being charmed by its ambitions even though not everything connected with me. The film could have been soo much more if it had focused a little more on the mythos of this "deletion/replacement" power but I enjoyed it enough to recommend it to others. Because, lets face it, if we could just delete all the people who disappointed us in life, most of us would have no friends.~~!!