Delhi Belly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Delhi Belly Reviews

½ August 5, 2016
One of the most radical, unorthodox and bravest movies produced by Indian cinema which is capable of providing clarification to most of the depressing situations in regular life. Shit happens....
½ May 28, 2016
The film's story is okay, and it's not that funny, it is an overrated movie.
½ December 14, 2015
Darkly comic, filled with a range of accentuated characters, a surprisingly solid emotional connect, badass songs, excitement and most importantly a feeling of "bakchodi", that makes Delhi Belly, despite whatever little lapses, or lack of "deep" overall artistic ambitions, political views or themes, a film that will make you fall in love with every inch of its stinky ol' self. The acting is on-point, though I must admit that for some reason Imran Khan seemed to be the weakest of the lot but was still serviceable enough. The rest of it is spectacularly well-made (especially for a Bollywood film) with its crisp direction and texture, whilst also being very forward-moving and in its social context, rebellious. Another thing to be noticed is the fact that the movie goes full-on in its ridiculous plot of coincidences and happenstance chances, having no pretentiousness whatsoever about what it is, thus managing to focus on being entertaining, engrossing and different.
January 3, 2015
(Original Review From 2011)
This was the best movie choice I've made in a long time.
Best movie I've seen all year. Period.

I think the like-ability was stemmed from the resemblance of myself and my two best friends within the characters. Great comedy that people should take note of and amazing cinematography and the music selection was over-the-top-notch.
½ October 30, 2014
I think I lost a rib cracking up. very tight and insensitive I must say. hilarious. I see Quinton Tarantino doing a remake for Hollywood audience
September 4, 2014
I just couldn't get into it :(
½ August 13, 2014
Bollywood's version of The Hangover is absolutely hilarious, though treading into this territory that strays from the generic romantic comedy results in a loss of conviction and interest in characters.
½ January 25, 2014
Good one, Im sure story is copied coz style is not Indian
½ November 7, 2013
I don't watch many Bollywood movies often, but this is pretty good. The dialogue is a little hard to understand at times, but it was entertaining.
September 25, 2013
Ridiculous and hilarious. "Akshat Verma's script is imaginative and funny, the film's stars are engaging and 'Delhi Belly' adds up to pleasing escapist fare." "Sexy, filthy and thoroughly entertaining comedy marks a welcome shift in contemporary Indian cinema." "Crosses cultural - and taste - barriers with a joie de vivre that'll have even the Bollywood-averse belly laughing along too."
July 29, 2013
Any time you sit through 1 hr 43 min of a movie and leave with the impression it was time well spent is a good job done. Delhi Belly does exactly that but no more. And I guess that's why it will go down as an average comedy movie and not reach the heights of say "Khosla Ka Ghosla". The most obvious reason for that is that it never reaches close in humor terms. But also for the fact that the cast does not bring anything to the party with their performances which are as per script but nothing memorable. In the end its the set pieces which work well and ofcourse the attempt to bring in an everyday feel that echo well with audiences and thats exactly why it rates 3 stars.
July 11, 2013
The most original and entertaining adult-screwball comedy. DELHI BELLY scores on almost all aspects, whether it is sale-able music, witty-cum-filthy dialogues, sharp comic timing by the principal cast, or the frenetic pacing. The only problem of this movie is the abrupt climax. But, who cares, if we are enjoying this unabashedly entertaining 2+ hr. comic-caper.
July 4, 2013
"Delhi Belly" masquerades as a genius and intense comedy while being a transcendental work that honestly depicts young and rising India. Ruthlessly funny, beautifully shot, and wonderfully performed, this film is delightful. One of the best comedies in the last two decades of any cinematic industry.
June 2, 2013
Non stop RAW comedy.
April 25, 2013
Delhi Belly (Abhinay Deo and Akshat Verma, 2011)

Delhi Belly is a slang term for diarrhea, which plays a major role in the film. If this is something that's going to offend you, you might as well stop here. It's not like the film hasn't been excoriated by hundreds of Bollywood traditionalists for being filled with toilet humor already. On the other hand, if you like sharp, snappy crime comedies and can put the toilet humor in the back of your mind, it's not a bad little movie. And something coming out of Bollywood that runs less than two hours? Can you imagine? (For the anti-Bollywood crowd, the main reason the movie is so short is that it contains only one full musical number, and that over the end credits, with a snippet of a related musical number in a dream sequence halfway through that lasts about thirty seconds.)

The movie revolves around three slacker roommates, Tashi (Janne Tu...Ya Jaane Na's Imran Khan), Arup (The Curse of King Tut's Tomb's Vir Das), and Nitin (Panga Naa Lo's Kunaal Roy Kapur) who are forever trying to come up with ways to pay the rent and keep food in the house. Tashi, who normally works as a freelance journalist, is asked by his girlfriend Sonia (Shenaz Treasury, currently appearing in American soap One Life to Live) to pick up a package for her and deliver it, because she's got too much on her plate at the moment. Nitin, at the same time, is suffering the malady in the title and can't stray too far from the restroom-and since Tashi is already going out, can he drop off a stool sample at the local doctor's office? All seems to be going well until the doctor and the recipient of the other package, a slimy-looking guy nicknamed Cowboy (Monsoon Wedding's Vijay Raaz), open the bags they've been given. The doctor has a cache of smuggled diamonds... and Cowboy's got a pile of excrement. You can guess which of the two is happier. And which of the two is going to try and figure out where his diamonds are, and how far he's willing to go to get them back.

It's amusing, though it's trying to play in a very big sandbox and no one involved with the film seems to have done more research than sitting through Chinatown a couple of times and crossing it with some Beat Takeshi comedy skits. Which doesn't make it any less fun, though it's pretty derivative. But as long as you're in the mood for this sort of thing, it will deliver what you're after. And the Return of Disco Fighter sequence in the closing credits? Worth the price of admission by itself. ***
March 25, 2013
Bhaag ,Bhaag Dk Bose...!!!!!!!
½ February 25, 2013
Three struggling room-mates unknowingly become potential prey of a ruthless gangster.
½ February 14, 2013
Immensly entertaining in every frame.
Delhi belly will grab your attention from the first frame,and keep you hooked.
Whether it is the languague used, the living conditions of various character
encountered or the underbelly of crime delhi belly captures it all.
February 12, 2013
Fun and entertaining.
½ February 2, 2013
The movie was funny, I enjoyed it.