Deliria (Bloody Bird)(Sound Stage Massacre)(Stage Fright) Reviews

• Apr 23, 2020

This Giallo/Slasher film hybrid marks the directorial debut of Dario Argento protégé Michele Soavi. The direction and technical aspects of the film are all solid, however the characters are paper thin and there isn't much deviation from the standard tropes and clichés both before and after its 1987 release to interest those who aren't fans Giallo or slasher films. Not worth going out of your way to see, but not something you'll regret watching either.

• Jul 16, 2017

A fun slasher with a great 80s feel and some quite graphic gore. It's a bit dull in the first half (though not for lack of things happening), but really picks up by the end. Not incredibly original, questionable acting, and as usual in slashers the characters sometimes act with amazing stupidity, but a pretty nice set and a memorably creepy owl mask. I liked the ending, as well.

• May 16, 2017

Above average slasher film. It lacks a bit in pacing (first half hour can pretty much be skipped) and acting ability, but more than makes up for it in atmosphere and set/costume design.

• Mar 13, 2017

A gloriously artful and technically superb slasher. It reaches a balance between camp, style, and genuine suspense with a villain that's equal parts enigmatic and terrifying. It's a must-watch for slasher fans.

• Nov 17, 2016

El debut Michele Soavi tras un tiempo trabajando para otros conocidos como Argento o Bava, no sorprendió a muchos, sin embargo ha conseguido dejar su huella en la historia del cine. Quizás sea por el vestuario de su asesino, por lo meta que es o por las ridiculeces que se suceden en la cinta, pero lo cierto es que Stage Fright tiene un encanto especial que la aleja de convertirse en slasher cualquiera. Ojo, eso no quiere decir que sea un giallo, pese a las claras influencias. Una película desenfadada y divertidad. Si queréis saber más escuchad nuestra critica en EL Terror No Tiene Podcast: http://www.ivoox.com/terror-no-tiene-podcast-episodio-22-audios-mp3_rf_13273141_1.html

• Oct 22, 2016

this was so weird i can't even make much of it. i have such a hard time "feeling" things with dubbing/dialogue this bad. it's just so weird and kinda dreamy and has a bunch of wonderful shots and strange behaviors and awful, unnecessary cop comic relief scenes. it's not laughably bad, and it's not fun enough to be great to throw on with pals. or maybe it is, idk. just strange.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Oct 15, 2016

To make up for how bad House 2 was, I decided to make up for it with another 80s horror movie. This time a slasher. I think all I'm missing now is a ghost story and the horror fest would be complete. I wouldn't classify The Conjuring 2 as a ghost story, but it's not also what I would call a demonic possession movie either. It sort of falls somewhere in the middle. Anyway, a slasher was also very essential to this little fest. Though, if I'm being completely honest, this was a pretty awful movie. But with the rating I gave it, I found this to be a really entertaining cheeseball slasher. It's not quite a masterpiece of awful, like The Room, because it is a considerably better movie, on pretty much every level, but that's hardly high praise. I remember watching a movie with the same name, also a slasher, from 2014 and I could have sworn that that was a remake. But apparently it wasn't, though they share some similarities. Technically speaking, the 2014 Stage Fright is a much better movie, but as a whole, part of me enjoyed this more due to the unintentional laughter it produced. Both get the same rating, though I enjoyed one more. I will say, however, that this film, honestly, after everyone else got killed off and only Alicia was left, it lost some of its more entertaining aspects. A huge part of my enjoyment of this film was the fact how bad some of the actors really were and how over-the-top they all were. These are people that I have never seen before or since, so that should tell you something about the quality of their performances. Though slashers have never been known for their acting. I believe that the film wasn't completely genuine, like they didn't want to make a purposely shitty movie, that's just the way it all played out in the end, but I do think they were aware of the fact that this wasn't gonna be a masterpiece. Though I will say that, outside of Hellraiser, this was a more violent movie than Jason and Freddie were at the time, I'm not as familiar with the Halloween franchise so I wouldn't know if it was more violent than that. Though I don't honestly think what exactly they were trying to accomplish here, because, for about 98% of the movie, the villain of the film is wearing an owl head, like they were fucking deadmau5 or something. It's difficult to take everything seriously when the bad guy is wearing an owl head. But, again, this wasn't meant to be super seriously. But they didn't really have like an iconic villain to compete with some of the big horror franchises at the time, so you have to wonder what the purpose was of it all. And I think that VHS renting started to become more popular in the 90s anyway, so I don't know how popular this even was on home video. I'm sure the people who HAVE seen it, in the right state of mind of course, enjoyed the fuck out of this movie. And giving it an average score is me being nicer than I need to be, because this isn't an average film, but it did a good job at making me laugh, even when it wasn't supposed to. The laughs get fewer and fewer the more people die, but I was still entertained by this movie's awfulness. I'd recommend it if you're looking for something goofy that will make you laugh at it instead of with it.

• Feb 21, 2016

Leaning a little heavily in style over substance Stage Fright manages to overcome its predictable slasher plot and create a visually engaging, and tense film

• Aug 27, 2015

Absolutely perfect giallo horror.

Absolutely perfect giallo horror.

• Aug 22, 2015