Delirious - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Delirious Reviews

½ December 9, 2011
Only real highlights were a cameo by Margot Kidder and a very small role played by an actor who was in an episode of my girls as
an artist named Jasper Dakimmel, all in all a decent enough premise that doesn't pay off with many laughs
½ June 27, 2011
I've always thought this was an overlooked John Candy gem. Much less over the top and snarky than "Soap Dish" but just as funny.
½ November 27, 2010
I wouldn't rate this as Candy's best comedy, but it is entertaining nonetheless. His portrayal of a writer deeply involved with his characters on an emotional level really lends credence to what he does once he can interact with them personally.

There are running gags throughout that will definitely make you chuckle- such as needing to wait for the cable guy because you have "Bars on 2 & 7" or "Oh no, you're going to give me a brain tumor!" (in regards to how melodramatic soaps are). Blake Hedison's upped dosage of medication and results really are enough to make your cringe. And my personal favorite- John Candy's reaction to Robert Wagner- priceless!

The writing is clever (again, keeping inside jokes), and the stabs at the soap industry are ones any one has made a thousand times but it is done with such earnest exaggeration that it does not get stale.

This is more of a causal comedy than a gut buster but I do not think it should not be missed by any John Candy fan.
October 8, 2010
I liked it because of John Candy.
September 27, 2010
A potentially great premise is sadly not fully taken advantage of and John Candy is given very little to work with in this clever but hit-and-miss comedy. Worth a look.
September 2, 2010
I love this film, havent seen it in years though. I remember the scene where he drives a car blind folded whilst trying to impress the woman of his dreams.
August 17, 2010
archetypal schmaltz. loved it.
July 31, 2010
Fun star vehicle for John Candy, pleasant but rather forgettable.
June 8, 2010
A decent,random movie
½ June 1, 2010
Wonderful John Candy comedy.
½ May 14, 2010
Its a silly comedy starring the lovable John Candy. Sure, he's stuck in a make-believe world of his own soap opera... but the antics he gets up to is definitely worth a laugh.
April 21, 2010
Written and directed by Tom Mankiewicz, who wrote 3 of the James Bond films of the early 1970's, as well as doing the first two Superman films, and the 1987 take on Dragnet, comes this warm, low-key but amusing romantic comedy, which feels in a way, a bit like Pleasantville. It's got some good moments, but it does wear a little thin by the end, and a tad confusing too. It has Jack Gable (John Candy), a writer/producer on an American soap opera called All My Dreams, but his peers at work would rather do it their way than Jack's way. When Jack is involved in a car accident, he finds himself in his own soap opera, in the town which it's set with all the characters in it too. Best of all, Jack discovers he can control how the characters interact, as he has a typewriter with him, and whatever he types, they do. And he tries to win the heart of character Janet Dubois (Mariel Hemingway). But, it would appear forces in "the real world" are trying to write it their way, and a sort-of war of words begins. It's a good little concept, and it does have it's laughs. Candy was a welcome addition to any film, and he's still sorely missed to this day. It's paradoxes though do bog the film down, but it does fly by. Oh, and this was the last film of the great Raymond Burr.
½ April 11, 2010
Pretty crappy. Not funny. Dated soundtrack and everything. Horrid last few minutes. Whoever decided to end with a voice over is an idiot.
March 5, 2010
This movie has so much potential, but never really develops any further. Entertaining at best
½ December 26, 2009
Delirious is just not a very funny film and left me disappointed by the time it ended. I kept waiting for a good joke to laugh at, but they never showed up.
December 21, 2009
Too funny!!! Slapstick comedy, gotta love it!
September 26, 2009
The Late John Candy shows his dramatic side in some scenes, great film by the way.
September 26, 2009
for someone who basicly detests soap operas this movie was perfect. though slow and drawn out at times and over done, it was the perfect sarcastic approach to the soaps redundant, overdrawn and tiresome scripts. good, enjoyable cast who were surprisingly right for their parts, it seemed as though they enjoyed taking delight in acting out the spoof on the soap opera world. enjoyed it greatly.
September 6, 2009
John Candy is awesome. This is a pretty funny movie, I like how he donates a Ferrari to an auction and then bids $1,000,000 to get it back...