Deliver Us From Evil (Fri os fra det onde) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deliver Us From Evil (Fri os fra det onde) Reviews

September 2, 2016
Ok Danish movie , not long alright ...they don't tell how far the delivery with the truck is . Guese not far otherwise this movie would'nt make much sense. Fine
½ November 10, 2013
I love Ole Bornedal's previous work, but this was a major letdown. The movie starts off promising as a rural drama, but ventures into bizarre territory (not in a good way), becoming laughably implausible and morphing into a cheap Straw Dogs wannabe.
July 7, 2013
Insane and insanely good.
½ June 13, 2013
"Deliver Us From Evil" is a Danish film written and directed by Ole Bornedal. The film is set in the Danish countryside, after a young father moves back to his hometown with his family, where circumstances soon follow that force him to defend his family, and the way they live their life as well. On the surface, this is a stylish thriller both beautiful and brutal, with events that bring to mind Sam Peckinpah's 1971 classic "Straw Dogs." However, "Deliver Us From Evil," maintains a certain tone that prevents it from reaching the same emotional and psychological impact of its predecessor.

Lars (Jens Andersen) and Johannes (Lasse Rimmer), are brothers with very little in common. Johannes is a high-powered lawyer with a beautiful wife and two children; Lars is a drunken truck driver who beats his girlfriend. Having returned to his hometown in the country, Johannes hopes for a less hectic, more genuine lifestyle. But trouble is underfoot when Lars runs over a woman with his truck. He sees only one-way out: put the blame on Alain (Bojan Navojec), a Bosnian refugee with impaired mental functions. Led by the dead woman's husband, a retired colonel whose son was killed in the Serbian theater, the town's population of angry drunks and bitter workingmen instantly jump at the chance to crucify the outsider, but Johannes stands in their way, motivated by his sense of amorality. Undeterred, the violent, drunken horde makes their way to Johannes´ secluded house, where the family and Alain fear for their lives. The house is converted into a fortress, where the madness and siege begins.

An engaging, yet over determined setup, the movie does little to complicate. What few twists in the story that exist, don't add to much of anything shocking or memorable. Perhaps it's the saturated high contrast of the cinematography, that while absolutely stunning, it gives the film an artificial feel. The cast is of one-dimensional clichéd characters, who all play predictable roles. The strange choice for a narrator whose introduction of the story makes it seem like it's a family comedy, and not a gripping thriller that is about to unfold. The end result is a brutally violent climactic showdown that may be visceral and exciting, but lacks the grit or the emotional involvement that would have made this one a classic in its own right.
½ January 22, 2013
a very evil story, brilliant acting. It's not that often it's possible to feel sheer terror creeping up your spine...
July 3, 2012
A dark colourless wash of small town prejudice and violence. Too many loose strands.
July 1, 2012
Nasty. Ã... kalle dette drama/thriller blir litt for snilt. Grøsser/slasher er mer betegnende. Ikke la deg skremme av at Lene Nystrøm har hovedrollen, denne er vedt Ã¥ se!
½ January 17, 2012
WOW! "Straw Dogs" re-imagined (although it strikes chords not hit in that film)... and well written, as I am joyfully discovering about Ole Bornedal! A MUST see!
December 26, 2011
Cinema Fantástico - Fantas 2010
½ July 8, 2011
such an unique and great movie. Thumbs up!
July 4, 2011
Holds one of the best dialogscenes ever delivered in any movie.
½ July 4, 2011
A shame, it could have been a great film! Clearly inspired by Straw Dogs. It's bold to put Lasse Rimmer and Lene Nystrøm in a film like, this it's again just a shame that they don't perform that well. There's a few scenes that works with them. On the other hand we have Jens Andersen, who performs like a dream! The entire gang of drunks and misfits are also doing a very good job. Nicely shot! Didn't like the narration bits, and didn't fit the film. And also it started some dilemmas, like how far would you go to save another persons life and your dignity? Would you risk your own, or even your family's. They just didn't take this all the way, and that's also a shame.
½ October 10, 2010
this movie reminds a little bit of straw dogs...a brutal story about hate and inhumanity, rape and self justice....well done
October 9, 2010
Fantastic movie: bleak, beautiful and brutal.
September 3, 2010
Godt laget. Etter hvert blir det litt vanskelig aa skjoenne om de vil lage en moerk komedie, eller en alvorlig og skremmende film.
August 29, 2010
#2: Saw it again, this time completely. Apparently I didn't concentrate fully last time cause now already in the first minutes I figured out new things and they sort of made a thing or two to make actual sense. Especially the line "Without Anna, I'm not a human." The ending, then, offered slight surprises. The movie really is quite topical and I would see it more or less as a satire. Raised my rating to 3 stars.

#1: Interesting. A mixture of drama, thriller, horror and grotesque comedy. First I got annoyed but then I couldn't help smiling at it. Sadly, I missed the very ending 'cause I had to leave. And now I found out that the one chick I disliked most was played by Aqua's singer Lene Nystrøm...
½ July 29, 2010
Really liked this one! Should be analyzed because there's a lot going on here. :D
½ July 2, 2010
Average Danish thriller..
May 26, 2010
Starts out as a sort of stylized existential drama, but gets increasingly mad. Enjoyably so, seemingly with nods toward Rashomon and Straw Dogs in the last act. A great follow-up to Just Another Love Story and The Substitute, Bornedal displays considerable flexibility in storytelling and cinematographer Laustsen delivers immensely. So nice to see what he can do in this context after the mixed results of Wind Chill, Solomon Kane, Silent Hill, etc.
½ May 15, 2010
En mörk dansk thriller som trots en något flummig början tog sig rätt så rejält.