Deliver Us from Evil - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deliver Us from Evil Reviews

½ August 27, 2016
This is the movie to see if you wondered about the background of the "based on real events" movie "Spotlight". Focusing on a particular priest, Oliver O'Grady, who confessed to molesting both boys and girls, filmmaker Amy Berg examines the effects of his actions by showing us the lives of three of his victims and their families. There is also information about the church hierarchy and its handling of the case, and the evolution of celibacy over time. Not for the faint of heart, but perhaps cathartic for abuse victims and lapsed Catholics.
½ July 9, 2016
(2.5 stars)
A documentary delving into the now known sins of the Catholic Church. Definitely informs us to a greater extent of the sinister details than 'Spotlight' and it adequately identifies the individuals in the church who participated in the outrageous cover-up. However I found the structure and presentation bland and it's focus on one paedophile priest in particular somewhat obscured the large scope of the scandal.
May 22, 2016
The testimony of the victims will break all but the hardest of hearts, and the victims include the families of those who were directly abused. The agony of knowing what O'Grady and the likes of him did to children is shown in the faces and the words of those families whose lives have been torn apart by this horror.
This film, in my opinion, is far more powerful than the one that won accolades at the recent Oscars, because it talks directly to those involved. I will never forget Mr Jyongo and his pain on knowing what O'Grady did to his daughter.
The fact that O'Grady is a free man now, in Ireland, is nothing short of a national disgrace - for that country, for the Catholic Church, and for all of us who fail to speak out and support those fighting against abuse. As painful as it is to watch, everyone should see this film, and then go and do something.
April 18, 2016
One of the most powerful documentaries that I've ever seen- 'Deliver Us From Evil' is up there with the greats from the likes of Herzog and Morris. Amy Berg delivers something unforgettable here.

Anger, shock, horror, fear - all just some of the feelings that this movie will put you through. The involvement of O'Grady in the film takes it to new, nauseating, levels and yet it still seems to avoid becoming overly-sensationalised. This is the story of a 'monster' and, as always, that monster is really a human being and that's the scariest thing of all.
February 29, 2016
Wow...this was a hard watch, but one that must be watched. An extremely powerful film that will break your heart and sicken your soul.
½ February 12, 2016
Very great documentary that sheds light on corruption and deception. But a bit slow at times
½ February 8, 2016
Deliver Us From Evil is a powerful and necessary documentary which, in some places, is hard to watch. A story of horrific demoralisation. (@Lewis_MrG)
January 7, 2016
Deliver Us From Evil is one of those documentary films that really deserved to be made just like Citizenfour to show that the world really needs to know, even when taking a risk that'll spread some controversy. The documentary is about Oliver O'Grady's past life in how he sexually abused children and how the church doesn't do anything about it other than moving him to other churches. The film starts out a bit slow which I was a little worried at first whether the whole documentary is going to be like this, but it was really just a way for the viewers to introduce the family for what their name is, what they do, and telling the story about how they met Oliver O'Grady for the first time. It gets you a bit sucked in to their stories about how the parents met the priest at the time, and when they tell you what happened to their children, you can't help but be shocked and get disgusted at O'Grady. It goes to Oliver O'Grady's point of view to give his thoughts which I was invested, but also frustrated at the same time that something like this happens, and seeing that the church doesn't do anything to help the situation, but surprisingly make it worse is absolutely shocking. You feel really sorry for the victims and the victim's family that you really want them to go back to the time where it happened so that they could prevent it. Deliver Us From Evil is an important documentary that I'm surprised that it didn't get an award for Best Documentary Feature at the Academy Awards as I think that it deserved it.
January 1, 2016
Love it, sad but true!!!
November 15, 2015
Eye opening, infuriating, saddening, frustrating, poop.
August 25, 2015
This is a heart wrenching experience. Cried my eyes out and shouted out loud a numerous times watching this documentary. A horrifying view into the most corrupted and disgusting inner workings of the Vatican and the catholic churches in America. Thank you Amy Berg for making this film.
½ July 18, 2015
Ending Catholic clerical celibacy may work to start resolving the problem within a gemeraration or two.
May 11, 2015
hard to watch but important documentary film about the Catholic abuse scandal. One perpetrator priest is interviewed and a few of his victims also recall events. Abuse, especially in the church, is incredibly devastating physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
May 5, 2015
"My remarks, which some bishops found offensive, were deadly accurate. I make no apology. To resist grand jury subpoenas, to suppress the names of offending clerics, to deny, to obfuscate, to explain away; that is the model of a criminal organization, not my church." Frank Keating, Oklahoma Governor, 2003
½ February 19, 2015
Yeah I think religion is prety darn stupid and if you believe in god, god's in his heaven all's right with the world so pedophiles must be what god want right? Your leaders are pedo-ing up kids all day long. Everyone knows it happens and this documentary represent that, talking to pedo cunts and victims. It's a great insight on the religious cowards who hide behind their religion and exploit people/children and think they can get away with it. cuntasaurus rex MAde me angry that people still love the pedo cunt who is the pope. Burn their gold, burn and stick it up the arses which are controdicting their god who is sounding more and more like satan. I'm chatting breeze but yeah this documentary is tight and reminds me why i hate religion. I watched it because know your enemy right? I must learn about these batards to take them down. peace
½ February 18, 2015
It can be recommended for not sensationalizing its seedy subject. It really is a very straightforward case against sexual abuse within the catholic church and how it was covered up.
Because of the clinical approach it does miss an emotional punch, even when it's not easy to watch a grown man consumed by guilt over not being able to protect his daughter. But it's a solid documentary that tackles a big important issue, and that's always recommended.
½ November 22, 2014
Well-made and profoundly eye-opening first hand accounts of betrayal in the church at its highest level.
September 22, 2014
Horrifying subject - don't think that the high rating means you even like the subject matter of a pedophile who virtually gets away with his crime unpunished.
But you hear from some victims.
And you see the injustice.
And you feel the added violation of being ignored and sidelined by the church that was supposed to protect and not overlook such degradation.
Don't go into this movie without heeding this warning about the subject matter.
But it's well done, and clear, thorough and accurate.
It's intelligent and compassionate.
If you can handle the heavy subject matter, there is the reward of seeing truth, and that truth, by nature, will set you free.
½ August 25, 2014
A disgusting man veiled by Catholic bureaucracy. Bleak, impacting and important. A very interesting documentary.