Deliver Us from Evil Reviews

• 6d ago

What an amazing performance from the entire cast and production team! Bana is an acting god in this, as always! The characters are harmoniously developed in a concerto of steady build up! Certainly "Deliver Us From Evil" is an underrated masterpiece! The crescendo as we watch at the edge of our seats while The Priest and Officer traverse the stages of exorcism with the demon until finally, a satisfying end to the terror is purged from our minds and faith restored! Quantum level movie with gruesome special effects yet with one of the most omnipotent message of God faith and spirituality! Never let faith in God be shaken by the evil you might see hear or speak! Now in my top 3 of exorcist movies with the likes of Emily Rose and The Exorcist! Some parts of the movie are somewhat autonomous however the full casts delivery carries the plot smoothly through to a satisfying end! A big applause to the villain actor and what brilliance he portrays on screen as the possessed. The interplay of animals and primal fears and the paralysis that can take shape from our lizard brain. RESISTANCE and POSSESSION of our brains are the metaphoric concepts of the movie hidden between the lines. Just like Jungler the demon, resists evacuating the body which belongs only to God we too can relate in everyday life when facing a new experience or stimulus. We might even freeze up with fear at the thought of creating something new or trying something different. An article excerpt on resistance: You keep postponing a task or a project. You're being too self-critic. You get obsessed so much over details that results are never good enough for you. You always find some excuse not to do something.

• Dec 13, 2018

Run of the mill horror movie. Poor storyline has potential to be better but lacked creative execution.

• Oct 10, 2018

Excellent movie. This is how a suspense thriller should be done. The film rolls with a few spooky crime scenes until at the end they find the guy they are looking for.

• Aug 04, 2018

Music and story execution is unfortunately a large portion why the movie could not be as good as it presents itself. Yet the actors, horror visuals and premise make the view enjoyable to watch for the most part. It's decent enough to warrant at least one watch but that's it. For my full review of Deliver Us From Evil (2014), check it out on this IMDB link: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4233087/?ref_=ur_urv

• Jul 28, 2018

Really liked this, gave a gritty edge to an already used idea. Breath of fresh air and Bana was amazing! Seen it multiple times now and still enjoy it every time.

• Jun 24, 2018

It's hard not to follow some tropes when doing a possession film... However, when they're done right, the end result can be quite interesting even without being surprising. A plus for me is the fact that even though its a supernaturalbased film, it downplays this element. This is an entertaining film,solid cast, with some iffy dialogues, but a good script, a very competent directing (nicely shot, cinematography not great but ok, very crepy atmosphere, some well done jumpscares, very good practical effects and quite gory!) Not at all what I'd expect from a mainstreem horror, much better than some review darlings like the autopsy of jane doe.

• Jun 11, 2018

A solid horror movie with good performances and some smart writing. Bana does his usual good job.

• Feb 07, 2018

Have to say that I am surprised to the low score for this movie; as whilst I found the concept 'already done' found a sound delivery on all levels. Atmosphere was dark from the outset, with little given away and the story unfolds, becomes darker and as a modern day horror flick goes for a desensitised generation of move goers, I was really engrossed and felt that the evil was delivered very well. The initial Brooklyn Zoo scene with 'the painter' and Eric Bana's character literally enters a lion's den with a really tense moment. Won't give too much away here, the ending was expected, but again, delivered in such a way as to offer some shock horror not offered so well since the Exorcist, in my opinion. Not sure what some people mean when criticising Eric Bana in this role, as he performed his role impeccably, in keeping with the genre. What did you expect? An Oscar nod performance? The only criticism of this film, is how it states it's based on a true story. Upon investigating this claim in an interview with the true life character, it's hog wash. The Jesuit Priest doesn't even exist and the story line is bloated beyond comparison. Overall, highly entertaining film that has been roughly done before, but performed and delivered very well. More entertainment value that The Last Jedi.

• Feb 04, 2018

"What! There can't be half an hour left"

"What! There can't be half an hour left"

• Jan 31, 2018

I thought the it started out ok. But as the film went on i was starting to lose interest. I also didn't like the plot all that much, and it didn't end on a high note either.