Demon Hunter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Demon Hunter Reviews

May 25, 2014
Though Sean Patrick Flanery offers a competent performance as the lead, but this is the only thing the film does right. The writing, pacing, casting tone, and overall quality of the movie suffers from either a lack of directing ability or funding (or perhaps both). Drago (though a talented actor) is entirely phoning it in on top of being a complete miscast. Entirely forgettable and not worth a look even for "bad supernatural movie night" with your friends. Instead, the very fun and campy John Carpenter's Vampires is loads of fun.
March 31, 2013
Not bad if you like a vampire movies
½ February 15, 2012
Demon Hunter (Scott Ziehl, 2005)

Another of those "Stephen J. Cannell, what were you thinking?" direct-to-video horror cheapies Cannell churned out like he was trying to be Roger Corman during the middle of the last decade (one of which, The Garden, actually found its way into theatres, presumably by accident). If you've seen any of Cannell's more cheaply-produced TV shows, you've got a basic idea of what you're going to get from these movies, save that there will of course be more nudity and more graphic violence. Of those I've seen, Demon Hunter is actually the most satisfying on a number of levels, which probably has to do with the quality of its cast.

Plot: Jake Greyman (The Boondock Saints' Sean Patrick Flanery), a half-human, half-demon who makes his living as a demon hunter for Mother Church, is hired by the somewhat paranoid Cardinal White (House of 1000 Corpses' William Bassett) to figure out whether a demon is behind certain recent events. To keep him in line (well, as much as possible), he's assigned a chaperone, Sister Sarah (Baby Blues' Colleen Porch). Needless to say, the two of them find out pretty quickly that yes, the demon Asmodeus (The Untouchables' Billy Drago) and his sexy henchman, a nameless succubus (Something's Gotta Give's Tania Deighton), are behind etc. Ultimately, it seems, the demons are after Nancy Lebinowitz (The Hard Easy's Nancy Yoon), the widow of a billionaire arms dealer, and the demon hunters have to figure out why.

The draw here is a surprisingly solid cast of B actors; it's likely you're a fan of at least someone in this cast (I watched it because I adore Colleen Porch ever since Baby Blues). It helps that the director at least knowsn his way around a camera; Ziehl does low-budget genre work (he's best known for the Rob Lowe vehicle Proximity back in the nineties), but he does it pretty well. Both of these things help balance out the kind of horrific script turned in by stuntman Mitch Gould (recently seen jumping around, falling, etc. in Twilight); both actors and director do the best they can given the material, and in the end, they come up with a watchable movie. It's not great cinema, to be sure, but I've seen a lot worse. ** 1/2
January 28, 2012
I can't remember alot about this film, as i've only seen it the once, for Sean Patrick Flanery. I do remember that i really liked it, as it had a really good story. I need to see it again to truly remember it all and give it a better review.
June 23, 2011
I liked the premise of the story but it was poorly executed. Awful dialogue, some poor acting moments, and awkward music choices. The fight scenes weren't completely terrible though.
½ July 21, 2010
started well and went down hill.
½ June 30, 2010
I really wanted this one to be better and that's even with having gone in with very low expectations.

The character of Jake Greyman is very interesting and could go a lot further given the chance. If the movie focused more on that than sub par fighting scenes and needless nudity it could've been better.

There's a lot of potential there, but one way or another it missed the mark.
June 17, 2010
This is what happens when you put worthy actors in a terrible movie. They totally went for it which I respected but they had almost nothing to work with. The demons looked ridiculous.
March 28, 2010
A mostly cheesy film version of what essentially felt like a scrapped Buffy The Vampire Slayer episode.

Sean Patrick Flanery is decent enough in the lead, but he's left battling both humans and demons in little more than hand to hand combat, one might expect him to be better armed.

A rental if you're a glutton for punishment, otherwise I'd pass.
March 13, 2010
The concept is pretty cool (a half-demon, half-human who executes rogue demons for the Catholic Church) but this is not a good movie. The special effects are made-for-TV quality, the acting is so-so and the dialogue is particularly bad.
January 18, 2010
½ January 17, 2010
cheezy horror √° la late nite Cinemax. watching this film induced some mild to moderate pain.
January 8, 2010
Eh, its bad but for some reason Sean Patrick Flannery seems to pull in a good performance despite a lackluster script. But its good for one viewing though..
½ October 20, 2009
Extremely bad. Only saw it for Sean Patrick Flanery.
½ September 24, 2009
Es taaaaaaaaan mala que hasta da risa. De nada sirve que se hayan currado las coreografías de las peleas, si no saben desarrollar correctamente la historia.
½ March 15, 2009
..i was hoping for more...cheesy make-up ,wimpy fight scenes..plenty of gratuitous frontal nudity....no scare or emotional fright factors...
it goes in the 2 star category of the collection..barely
December 29, 2008
Not his best work but still great
December 16, 2008
After a decent opening scene, the promise that this movie shows falls apart pretty quickly and it turns out to be another straight to video crapfest.
December 2, 2008
Ohh:O what is this?someone who can tell me?