Demon Seed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Demon Seed Reviews

September 12, 2017
a psycho computer rapes a woman in this trippy film
May 15, 2017
Rather original and interesting movie. Adapted from Dean Knootz sci-fi novel. Fritz Weaver is a scientist that invented a super intelligent organic computer - Proteus. His wife Julie Christie isn't on good terms with him. While he is away for days in the lab, Julie is lock in by the home system which is been control by the super computer Proteus. It want to make her pregnant so that it can live on, by transfer his knowledge to a human body and lives on. She refuse to cooperate but in the end wasn't its match and gotta do as it says. A friend came to visit and tries to save her but is killed. When Proteus refuse to cooperate with Fritz on an issue that will profit people but endanger humanity, the government want to shut it down. Fritz rush home and was notify by Julie what happened. The child is already born within 28 days and few more days needed for it to grow normal. As Proteus is nearing its shut down, Julie want to kill the child but Fritz want it alive. A metal baby came out of the incubator and drop dead. But Fritz peel the shell and realize it is flesh and skin beneath. After all peel out it is a boy. The boy woke up and speak in Proteus voice and it has successfully transfer itself to a body.
May 1, 2017
This one got me by surprise. I want more!!
December 12, 2016
I saw this once many years ago, but have just watched it. I loved it! I will definitely watch it again. Self aware technology.... terrifying thought.
July 21, 2016
I had only known of the eccentric, ill-fated director by going through Kenneth Anger's provocative short films collections and seeing Cammell act, early in his career, in Anger's 'Lucifer Rising'. Here, Julie Christie was both gorgeous and eerily convincing in a bizarre hybrid of 'Rosemary's Baby' with sci-fi elements reminiscent of 'Colossus: The Forbin Project'.

The unique atmosphere and directorial integrity alone are worth the price of admission here. Well worth both purchasing and re-watching for the cinematically adventurous connoisseurs out there.
July 21, 2016

July 5, 2016
Nice atmosphere, interesting idea but somehow it didn't engage.
½ June 28, 2016
It's essentially a science-fiction Rosemary's Baby...but that's no bad thing
February 28, 2016
Bit TV movie-esque for late seventies expected more. Even when the puzzle shaped robot is revealed it seems to float on wires and they use the Star Trek door-slide fx when it moves. The film is presented in a matter of fact sort of way so they'res vaguely any feeling of suspense and the only body horror is presented at the end which is worth waiting for.
½ February 1, 2016
Advanced Proteus computer infiltrates the home security system of its creator and mates with his estranged wife. Good but shows signs of its age at this point. I wonder if Alfred was allowed to return to home security after Proteus was disconnected.
May 5, 2015
Proteus: one of the most underrated "evil computers" in a home invasion/rape and revenge film where the invader/rapist isn't even human.
April 25, 2015
Inventive sci-fi horror with a chilling warning for mankind and its reliance on computers!
½ April 12, 2015
Weird - but not weird enough. Donald Cammell (fabled director of Performance with Nic Roeg) finds himself trapped in a locked house (courtesy of Dean Koontz) with an artificially intelligent supercomputer and Julie Christie. There are therefore constraints on what he can do. The plot, with shades of Rosemary's Baby, involves the computer (Proteus) seeking to impregnate Christie - against her will. So, that's gross. But this is a horror film after all - women in peril etc etc.etc. Nevertheless, you do catch glimpses of Cammell's psychedelic yearning in the '70s era computer animation on display (by Jordan Belson) and in some of the odd pseudo-futuristic creations littering the set. Why does the wheelchair robot have only one arm anyway? The moral of the story is again that computers will menace us if they become smart enough to be jealous of our real existence. But don't be tempted if this theme is appealing to you - this is grueling fare.
October 21, 2014
Let's face it, this movie seems fairly dates. I am referring mainly to the special effects. However, it isn't a completely implausible story, in my opinion. And, those sections in the movie that may seem ridiculous are mentioned by Julie Christie's character as being such. It takes a bit of 2001 and expands it to where the machine has even more humanity than HAL. Although more of a science-fiction movie, there are some truly horrifying moments.
½ February 18, 2014
Demon Seed is somewhat intriguing and highly uncanny.
February 5, 2014
Um computador que deseja se tornar um ser humano arranja uma maneira de inseminar uma mulher humana. Horror com tema original.
January 16, 2014
First of all, I had no idea this was based on something Dean Koontz wrote, and it has some nicely unsettling bits of the house tormenting and taking advantage of poor Julie Christie, even becoming something I'd seen later parodied on The Simpsons,

Worth a rental.
October 26, 2013
Weird but interesting premise, occasionally hard to take seriously, but worth watching purely for Proteus, one of the creepiest antagonists ever.
½ September 17, 2013