Demon Seed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Demon Seed Reviews

March 2, 2013
Recommended on the scary movie quest. Not scary, but enjoyed it for the classic sci-fi that it is. Imagine that if I read the book I'll like it better. Also pretty certain I need one of these robots. It cleans, it tells people to go away, it disposes of their heads if they don't, it digs bondage, it brings breakfast in bed, and it self destructs after impregnation. Everything about that strikes me as hawt. Minus a star for flawed logic in overall premise, and for too-old girl who throws tantrums being enough to make even me want to donate my uterus to science before getting any use out of it.
Thoroughly enjoyed there being a robot named Joshua and watching scientisits play chess with the "computer".
Yay for now having further understanding of popculture references.
½ January 8, 2013
do not want to see this movie again, this movie I thought was crap and I will not watch this movie ever again, I expected better from this film, I don't want this film on DVD, I expected better
December 16, 2012
Now We Know Why Computers Have Hard Drives--Artificial Intelligence Terrorism!!
½ December 16, 2012
Not bad from Donald Cammell
October 27, 2012
Supercomputer Proteus IV does not want to be shut down so it traps a woman in her fully automated house and impregnats her with its own synthetically made spermatazoa. The emergence of the computer child at the end is worth sticking around for.
October 20, 2012
Though this film does have its problems and is completely whacked out of its mind, it is worth viewing just because you will not have seen anything like it before. Plus it does have some good points like Julie Christie putting in a good performance, a good score, some awesome special effects and a few issues that wouldn't be tackled for some years later in other films.
October 18, 2012
A product of extremes that unfortunately does not achieve synergy. Half of this film is solid science-fiction presented with an art-house aesthetic the other half is an infuriating melodrama with questionable sexual politics. It's worth seeing for the metaphysical monologues and stoner montages.
December 1, 2011
An evocative, intelligent sci-fi thriller based on the Dean Koontz novel, concerning a new revolutionary supercomputer called Proteus IV which is capable of intellectual grow, it thinks and has become self-aware, developed by a brilliant cybernetics genius Dr. Alex Harris, played superbly by character actor Fritz Weaver, Proteus IV is imbued with its own will to live and to procreate, Dr. Harris's young wife Susan, played by Julie Christie in a compelling and richly layered performance unknowingly will become the target of Proteus IV's plans it taps into the home terminals of Harris's high-tech residence taking control of everything in the house including the computerized security system, Susan is now a prisoner in her own home and is completely helpless, it will become a battle of wits between Susan and her remorseless computerized nemesis who is capable of extreme violence and psychological cruelty, she tries many different ways to escape but fails every time, but soon to her horror she will realize Proteus IV's true intentions and with the help of a robotic wheelchair that has one mechanical arm, it will build a hexagonal probe to impregnate Susan with its "Seed," Susan will bear a child destined to rule the world, but first Susan most under go a series of dehumanizing and tortuous physical and mental tests, Proteus IV has taken lethal steps against anybody interfering with the inception and the birth of its child, it will kill anyone! Astute direction by Donald Cammel, special kudos must go to Robert Vaughn for his chilling voice performance as Proteus IV, the late Jerry Fielding's eerily haunting score is perfect, marvelous cinematography by Bill Butler and a impressive production design by Edward C. Carfagno. An intriguing, thought-provoking film about a man-made entity trying to achieve life! Highly Recommended.
½ November 18, 2011
Fun, interesting film. A little harrowing though!
October 14, 2011
By no means a good movie but creepily effective and prescient, particularly in this age of Siri and Cleverbots. It's Basically Hal 9000 meets Rosemary's baby with a dash of Altered States. Worth a watch.
½ September 6, 2011
I know I should not be watching these kind of movies... but this one was kinda good.
July 31, 2011
Not sure how this ended in my queue. Quite a disturbing movie. It's 2001 meets rosemary's baby.
June 20, 2011
Interesting sci-fi with the beautiful Julie Christie.
½ June 16, 2011
The book was bizarre and the movie was just as strange."
½ May 2, 2011
Quite enjoyed this. Potters around a little during the middle of the movie, but interesting ending!
March 16, 2011
it's a scifi horror film of all time.
½ February 20, 2011
how can u say no to a film where julie christie is being terrorized and eventually 'raped' by a computer/house? sci-fi horror that is not scary per se, but lets jus say that it is disturbing:) a pretty good ride. shocking!
½ January 5, 2011
By reading the synopsis, you can tell that this is a very strange sci-fi horror movie. It's a very creepy tale of machines gone bad, you'll never look at computers the same way again.
December 9, 2010
Not bad. Obviously influenced by 2001, and Robert vaughn's voice over is creeeeepy. But quite unspectacular.
November 30, 2010
The dread Beast computer biological A.I. ooo scary! I was disturbed by the actress' emotional state as she played a stepford getting raped by an illuminaughty super computer that has pyramids and obelisks spouting out to breed the anti-whatever. Cammell did a bunch of these coded movies and seemed lost (look up White of the Eye, but Performance was interesting). The actress looked traumatized.