Demon Wind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Demon Wind Reviews

September 13, 2017
J'ai recherché ce film pendant 20 ans!... L'attente n'en valait pas la peine.
October 19, 2015
Oh, this was bad. Really, really bad. But at the same time, it's charmingly bad. The entire movie is shot in the middle of nowhere (want to save money? Shoot in the middle of nowhere!) and since they wanted a spooky-looking, dilapidated house, they shot the exteriors of a home that had only like two and a half walls and no ceiling. There were no rooms, as it was literally just walls. So they shot these exteriors, but then went on very cheap sets and shot interiors. It's baffling. I've never seen anything like it. And you would think that they were doing this as some attempt to be funny, like a Troma movie, but no. The movie takes itself 100% serious. The characters are forgettable, and the only reason they're even there is so they can get killed. Seriously, the main character asked a bunch of people to come with him to his grandparents burnt down home, but they don't do anything. He spends most of his time wandering alone. The special effects and makeup are the highlight of the movie, and likely where the shoestring budget went. The demons look like they have terrible acne and plates of spaghetti were just pied to their faces, but they have a unique look to them. When all the mayhem starts, it becomes like most zombie movies. They're trapped in a house, a bunch of the characters do dumb things that make no sense, and everyone dies (not really, but pretty much). There are a few "wtf?" moments that give this movie some added charm, like when a demon is killed and reverts back to being a baby and then turning into a dove. Strange and out of nowhere, but I like that kind of stuff in these bad movies. Makes them more memorable. The movie feels like it would have been perfect for MST3K or Rifftrax. It's ripe pickings to get riffed on. And because of that, I enjoyed the movie. It's bad... really bad. But sometimes those movies can be a lot of fun.
March 31, 2015
It always bugged me when critics use "it's a rip-off" to justify giving a movie a low score. if a movie is a rip-off don't take it out on the movie, take it out on the producer and scriptwriter. If you love The Evil Dead as much as me, seriously, what would you rather do, watch the same movie over and over or watch movies that are pretty much the same but also a little different? Would you rather watch Halloween 10 times in a row or 10 different but very cliched slashers? Demon Wind isn't a great movie but I do appreciate what they tried to do here. The only thing this did better than Evil Dead is after watching the whole trilogy the only character you'll remember is Bruce Campbell, but in Demon Wind I found all the characters memorable. It also has some very original and creepy scenes, such as the destroyed house that looks undamaged when you look through the front door. That freaked me out.

I gave the movie 2 stars because it isn't good. My biggest complaint is they rely heavily on special effects which are cheap so the movie is sometimes comical and cartoonish. But I was determined to like this movie so I forgave all its flaws while watch it, like it was a true story and this is just how everything factually played out. Most people might not even give it 2 stars but I think it deserves at least that. If you can show the movie a little love and force yourself to get immersed in the story you might even give it 4 stars. I just wish there were more Evil Dead rip-offs out there. I guess where the plot is so basic it's difficult to think of new ways to tell the same story.

And I have to mention the box art. Very cool. It's one of those 3-D pictures so when you move the box you see the demon jump through the window.
November 9, 2014
Very bad ripoff of The Evil Dead.
June 29, 2011
Used to scare me as a kid.
December 30, 2010
Out of all the genres of horror out there American slashers probably lack style more than any other, which unto itself isn't that big of a deal, but add into the equation the fact that the substance is quite often lacking as well, if not more, and what's left is basically an excuse for you to host your own episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 with a large group of inebriated friends (though you'll never be as funny). But then again, what's wrong with that? They're fun.

What is a slasher film anyway?

My definition might vary a little bit from other folks. A slasher doesn't necessarily need to follow any aesthetic of film making (although most seem identical to one another). In short, they are films in which the character density decreases in mass throughout due to a mysterious or unforeseen threat until we are left with a mean of one male and one female, left to fend for their lives against said threat.

Throughout the genre, people will be shot through the neck with arrows, blood will slowly drip onto an unsuspecting character from a dead body hidden in the rafters of a cabin, a couple having sex will be joined together permanently by a sharp object, machetes will claim limbs, and finally, there will be significant crotch violence. They are films with substance the likes of that listed above, stuffed with suspense, just the right amount of satire, shots from the killer's point of view, garden tools used in unexpected new ways, lots of violence, and finally, a plethora of nudity.

What makes a bad slasher film?

Well, for starters, Charles Philip Moore...

To be honest I'm not sure it's even fair to categorize Demon Wind solely as a slasher. Yes it has the large cast reducing considerably throughout, but the question of loyalty to the genre comes in the unforeseen threat. The villain of the film is for the most part the continually shrinking cast. It's a possession film in the mold of Evil Dead 2. The exact mold as Evil Dead 2. It's as if the film makers burst into Sam Raimi's house, demanded his ideas for a spin-off of his film, grabbed sketches of the production design for the infamous cabin and whatever else they could use to throw a script together as fast as possible, took out an ad for actors promising big time exposure, and somehow got picked up by a major studio.

The film is pathetic as the attempted possession-themed thriller, but functions rather well as more of a cheesy slasher film, due to the over-abundance of cliched characters, the gradual expiration of each in grisly ways (thought the f/x aren't too terribly great) etc. It's one of the few Alien Nation/Evil Dead 2/Exorcist/zombie films out there (I guess you have to give it credit for that). Despite the film's poor quality and very confusing ending, it's absolutely hilarious (unintentionally of course) which will no doubt prompt the intoxicated and sober alike to unite and laugh at the mediocrity laced throughout.

The Story

The pre-credit sequence of the film concerns an old woman wandering through her house searching for her son, calling out his name. Soon she finds him, his back to the camera. He is unresponsive to her calling. He turns around. It's her son, but he's possessed and speaks with that ever present deep "possessed" voice. He says something cryptic and begins to lurch toward his mom which prompts her to pull out a snow globe, warns him to back away, then drops it which causes the house to explode. Trust me, it's better if you don't ask...

Cut to several years later. The woman's grandson, Cory (Eric Larson, who has two flashbacks in his first 5 minutes of screentime!), and his girlfriend Elaine (Francine Lapensee) are driving to his grandparents' farm. Seems that Cory recently witnessed his father's unsuccessful suicide attempt by slitting his wrists after which he disappeared which prompts Cory to check into his family history, starting with his grandparents. On the way there, the two stop at a gas station in the middle of nowhere. Literally the middle of nowhere. The town consists of, well, the gas station. There they meet up with several friends who've agreed to come along. After ignoring the warnings of the crazy old man at the gas station about the house *Sound familiar?* the 10 or so victims head out.

Upon arriving at the house, they find it burned to the ground, save for the front wall. However they soon discover that when you walk through the front door it "transports" you into the still standing house briefly before it's destruction. After being freaked out by some cabinet doors begin flailing wildly, the characters attempt to leave only to find that their cars won't start. They try walking, but once they reach a certain distance they become engulfed by the "Demon Wind", which has the power to transport you back to the house and also to make an already overly long boring movie longer. From here on you basically have a combination Evil Dead 2/slasher film.

The films contains uncanny similarities to Raimi's film. First, the moaning voice coming from the woods. In his film characters are lured out of the cabin and into the woods by a faint haunting, yet hypnotizing voice. In Demon Wind characters are lured out of the cabin and into the woods by what sounds like someone hissing into a bullhorn.

Then there's the cabin itself. Although from the outside only a mere portion stands, the inside is practically identical to the one from ED2. Everything is covered in dust, every surface ready to lodge splinters into the unfortunate person who touches it. Not to mention the fact that the front door acts as a time portal to before the house burnt down while at the end of ED2, you guessed it, it acts as a time portal to the Middle Ages.

Then finally there's a possession scene in which a character gets infected through their hand. It's not expanded much though, so I suppose that's good. Even so, the mere idea that these folks had the nerve of attempting to recreate one of the greatest schlock cinema fights of all time and put it into a film called Demon Wind well, that's unforgiveable.

As if this plagiarizing of a true classic wasn't bad enough, a shield formed by one of Cory's grandmother's spells surrounds the house and zaps anything that tries to get in. It "zaps", it doesn't electrocute or burn, but "zaps" anything that tries to get in with authentic ZZZAP! sounds. Then finally you have an Omen "inspired" scene in which Cory finds out the only way to kill the villain is buy stabbing it with a special dagger.

Despite the fact that there isn't a single good performance in the film, the acting is ironically the most entertaining part. Practically every character somewhat resembles a more famous counterpart. Cory bears semblance to Jeffrey Combs (Re-Animator), Elaine resembles Laura Dern (Wild at Heart), one of their friends looks like Kevin Bacon (Friday the 13th), and finally, the crazy old man at the gas station looks like he could be Lloyd Bridges long lost twin brother.

Cory's friends consist of nothing more than a bunch of characters lifted from other genre films such as The Gate and Cheerleader Camp. You have the smart, sensitive kid who gets all the good ideas. The idiot jock (who spouts lines like "Hey, if you two homos would quit hugging for a minute we could get going", which automatically seals his fate considering homophobic characters in slasher films invariably serve one purpose and one purpose only -- extermination by the unforeseen threat, with extreme prejudice). Then you have the scared girl who meets her fate early on. But, then the film maker's attempt to get sly and throw in a hipster magician (who performs hacky sack kung fu style with a Coke can) and his friend out of nowhere. Despite the wide variety of every class, cliche, and cliques here, basically they all look like potential victims considering there are no likable characters.

There are tons of mistakes in the film. Most notable are several misread lines that I can't believe the editors missed. e.g. Spoken by Cory and the jock:

Cory: Are you sure you wanna do this?
Jock: Sure as I anabananathing.

I'm fairly sure he was supposed to say "as I've ever been about anything". Considering the massive slur, this just leads me to believe, that you not only have to be inebriated to watch one of these movies, but make them too.

The gore effects range from shabby to great. Once characters become possessed they simply look as if they're melting. The demons are nothing more than people with latex dripping off their faces with some corn syrup smeared around their mouths (although they don't eat people rendering this pointless and odd). I'm guessing the f/x crew must have gone to the same school as the folks in charge of Umberto Lenzi's City of the Walking Dead make-up crew.

Overall, the film is watchable. It's basically a film you rent on a Friday night to watch with a couple friends and have a few drinks, but if you're just looking for a scary flick, I'd strongly advise against it.
December 18, 2010
I actually enjoyed this movie and was rather entertained by it. I think the best part is the visual effects also the kind of annoyance of trying to get out of a place that keeps pushing you back.
October 30, 2010
For what it is, it's very entertaining. Maybe a little too much like Evil Dead, but it does it well and with enough variety that i would recommend it.
½ March 24, 2010
Mediocre story of demons haunting a pathetic family shack in the middle of nowhere. Made-for-TV feel brings zero scares but decent special effects. An Evil Dead knock-off.
September 16, 2009
Demon Wind is the story of Cory (Eric Larson) and his eight (!!) friends who accompany him on his quest to discover his family history after the suicide of his estranged father. Against the warnings of the know-it-all wise man, the group ventures out to the old abandoned farm where Satan worshiping, demons, and murder ran rampant. Naturally, the group becomes trapped on the farm, unable to leave the area, and are picked off one by one as they attempt to battle all of the undead demons/zombie hybrids that come after them until an epic battle between Cory and Satan ensues, with plenty of campy 90's gore effects and unintentional comedy abound. The movie has its up and downs. It takes 45 minutes to get to the first death within the group (which was actually awesome and creepy. Hell, that same person manages to have 2 awesome deaths actually), but then the characters become a bit annoying (thanks to the writing and direction from Charles Philip Moore) as they completely forget about the first person dying and show no emotions for it until others start dying. Yeah, it's a bit trivial, but that lack of continuity really bothered me for some reason. As for the rest of the deaths, most of them are average, but a couple manage to be actually cool and unique. The story does tend to get a bit silly, but this small Evil Dead clone managed to entertain me. This is no surprise though as I do love these kinds of corny films. Just wish it hadn't taken 45 minutes to get to the good stuff. Overall, though, not bad.
October 8, 2008
lol its not a good film but fun to poke fun at
September 3, 2008
Much unintentional humor
½ July 4, 2008
Sooooooo cheesy. Like, I had no clue how cheesy this was. A lot of fun, a bit silly, but totally worth the shipping and handling. Magicians, skulls with tongues, and Bonnie...my Bonnie. :( Rent it!
June 28, 2008
infuenced by evil dead but i still can forget the scene when cory kick the balls of antichrist in the final scene of the movie ... a must see.
May 31, 2008
Funny heavy handed demon fest with god awful badness abound. In this movies case, that's good. This is another one of those anti-depressant flicks that will cure any signs of depression. Its just so bad...but in that lovable B-grade way.
May 30, 2008
Magician jumps 10 feet in the air and roundhouse kicks a can into a dude's face.
March 31, 2008
Dude takes a drive through the hills with his girlfriend because he feels drawn to some old farm that belonged to his grandparents, meets up with a bunch of his college friends including a magician who knows kung fu, an old man warns them not to go, they go anyway and accidentally summon some demons. So yeah, quintessential american straight to video horror. I quite liked this one though! It starts off with some seriously excellent scenes that build a totally savage backwoods horror atmosphere, but it turns into a pretty blatant Evil Dead ripoff pretty quickly, right down to the voices of the demons. Anyway, this was enjoyable enough. There's some nice gore and annoying characters that get savaged, plus a few cool scenes, like a hatched egg full of maggots. Faceless, but fun.