Den du frygter, (Fear Me Not) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Den du frygter, (Fear Me Not) Reviews

½ August 9, 2014
Den du Frygter (Fear Me Not) (Kristian Levring, 2008)

It would be possible to write an entirely accurate review of Fear Me Not in exactly eleven words. "Ulrich Thomsen. Paprika Steen. What more do you need to know?" Amazon, however, required reviewers to write at least twenty, so I might as well go whole hog and tell you more, for those of you (there may be a few out there) for whom Thomsen (Adam's Apples) and Steen (Applause) are not automatic selling points.

The two of them play a married couple, Mikael and Sigrid. Mikael has taken a leave of absence from work for an undisclosed reason; we can reasonably assume it has to do with his anxiety and depression, which he attempts to hide from Sigrid and their daughter Selma (Magi I Luften's Emma Sehested Hoeg) as much as possible. (He doesn't do a very good job of it, but the two of them are willfully blind to his condition, Sigrid more so.) One of the few routines he is still clinging to is rowing a few mornings a week with his friend and brother-in-law Frederik (Terribly Happy's Lars Brygman), a doctor whose hospital is about to start a trial of a new anti-anxiety medication. Mikael asks if he can get in on it; Frederik reluctantly agrees. At first, everything seems to be going swimmingly; Mikael becomes cheerful, connects with his family, starts talking about going back to work. But then, the changes start taking a darker turn.

A few months before I watched Fear Me Not, I watched Side Effects, the latest (as of this writing) film from Steven Soderbergh, which covers, at least in its first third, a very similar scenario. I was not terribly fond of Side Effects, though I did like that first bit some. Fear Me Not has shown me why I was dissatisfied with a good deal of it. Soderbergh used this idea, of a drug trial gone hideously wrong, as the springboard to something else, and he put very little thought into that part of the film as a result; Rooney Mara's character went bonkers, and that set the scene for his real movie. Here, on the other hand, it is the real movie; this is what the press for Side Effects wanted you to believe it was, and Levring (The Intended) manages, with very little effort, to create a sense of palpable menace. Excellently-drawn characters working their way through a cracking script with a very mean heart. I say again: what more do you need to know? *** 1/2
½ March 18, 2014
I like my movies slow but this pushes even my limits. Not a horrible premise but as we wait and watch this guy devolve, well nothing moves very quickly.

Danish films are usually pretty top-notch so I like to watch them. I guess they need Mads Mikkelson to truly be effective. This is the story of a workaholic who takes some time off. Out of boredom and perhaps because he thinks he's depressed, he volunteers for an anti-depression trial. I figured out the twist pretty much instantly but I wasn't sure. Either way, the plot moves very slowly and nothing really happens. You could say it builds to something...and it does, but it's so damn slow that I feel they could erase 30 minutes of the movie and still be as effective.

And speaking of that ending, it's a European flick so you're not guaranteed a happy ending. I always like that...not knowing for sure. It's kinda like life. The good guy doesn't always win. I won't spoil the ending here so you still don't know (not like anyone's going to watch it anyway...)
December 3, 2013
could not get into this one -- too much about midlife crisis
½ October 2, 2013
reaches for palpable psychosis but, in the end, achieves only meandering dread.
September 23, 2013
In a nutshell, a story of a man living a seemingly happy family life, having an existential crisis. It's somewhat uncomfortable, yet fascinating in a way, watching the main character unravel. Somehow, Scandinavian movies manage to capture bleak atmosphere of urban dread and desperation exceptionally well.
June 28, 2013
Creepy psychological thriller with a great performance by Thomsen.
May 9, 2013
A dark, quiet thriller that really thrills.
October 15, 2012
A Bergmanesque psychological drama about a man who slowly loses his mind. Dark and depressing.
½ November 22, 2011
samokontrola dla m??czyzn:p
November 21, 2011
This guy is intense, and shot to pieces and takes depression to a whole new level. Somewhere in a past life he was a cloud of rain, a dead kitten a famine in Africa and now he comes back as a pissed off Dane. Not a lot happens but he incessantly talks and thinks too much, then he starts on some "anti depressants" and not much changes but he occasionally does something odd.
½ September 24, 2011
Heavy movie, not fast paced, no neat happy ending, not a movie Hollywood would make. Good movie.
June 24, 2011
Good film that takes a sinister turn.
May 16, 2011
anbefalt av littlemissbloodandguts ......
½ May 8, 2011
overall, it's a good film about justifications of purpose and action. Thomsen plays such a snob prick.
January 13, 2011
(***): Thumbs Up

Interesting and well-acted.
½ January 13, 2011
A danish film starring the always dependable Ulrich Thomsen (Centurion, The International, Hitman, Brothers-not the remake the original starring Connie Nielsen). Thomsen plays Mikael a loving father who's finding his life a little mundane. He has a beautiful wife Sigrid (played by Paprika Steen-The Substitute), and a lovely daughter Selma (Emma Sehested). His friend Frederik (Lars Brygmann) works for a pharmaceutical company and is going to start a experimental drug program. Mikael tells Frederik that he is interested in taking part in the program and Frederik reluctantly agrees. When Mikael starts taking the pills he suddenly feels happier then's he felt in some time. But suddenly he is told there were dangerous side effects and the program is abandoned and all pills should be destroyed. What Mikael does about the pills is the rest of the story. This was a very solid story about one man's quest for feeling alive again no matter what the circumstances. Ulrich Thomsen once again shows why he should be considered as one of Denmark's finest acting talents. The man is a joy to watch. Paprika Steen also turned in a fine performance as the wife who is seeing her husband drift away from her. If you're into foreign films here's another one to try. Recommended.
Matt S.
January 2, 2011
Well it was interesting, well performed, nice set up and a decent twist I didn't see coming but it could of taken it to the next level. It's about a father named Michael who is unhappy and decides to take a leave of absence from work and try an experimental drug to help him unwind but has psychotic side effects that threatens his simple, privilege life. This could of been so much more terrifying than it ended being and it seemed like it didn't know what direction to take whether it was a startling psychological/thriller or a deep character driven drama. I thought it was very slow moving but I stuck it out thinking something big was going to happen and when something actually did happen it didn't take it anywhere or to new heights, it just ends. I was thinking to myself when the credits rolled, "what was the point of it all or trying to make"? It didn't explain anything completely and all I got was that he had a bad childhood but they never went into it at all, I hate when movies do that. Overall it was an intriguing movie with fine performances that had so much potential but pretty much fell flat to me and not worth seeking out and wasting time one but hopefully the semi similar upcoming movie Limitless will be more thrilling and stronger than this one. Skip it. What a waste!
½ March 4, 2010
Having seen a few northern european movies, I am fascinated by the particular style in which these are filmed. This is one more example of exquisite cinematography, with an interesting storyline. Recomend.
October 28, 2009
En fremragende dansk thriller - frem til slutningen hvor den fuldstændig punkterer. Det der holder oplevelsen oppe, er Ulrich Thomsens fantastiske præstation, men manuskriptet halter gevaldigt. Filmen er dog et friskt pust i dansk filmindustri.
½ October 25, 2009
God film med et uforudsigelig tvist, godt skuespil af Ulrich Thomsen