The Departed Reviews

Page 1 of 14
June 5, 2019
Like taking a master class in filmmaking and ensemble acting.
February 19, 2019
An enthralling morality tale in which the mortality rate escalates in tandem with the tensions generated by its riveting narrative.
January 27, 2019
The film elapses in a strange way, with the first 60% of the film feeling like an extended introduction with lots of exposition, leaving the last 40% as its conclusion.
January 17, 2019
The biggest draw, of course, are the star acts: Caprio, Damon and Mark Wahlberg in particular are electric.
November 29, 2018
Very violent, but very, very good.
February 27, 2018
If you like Scorsese, or if you just like thrillers, you'll have a good time.
February 27, 2018
Though the story is a corker of a premise, with detours into the perils of ambition and duplicity, you can't hope to become emotionally invested in these reputedly troubled souls.
February 27, 2018
For 150 minutes The Departed delivers a visceral punch you're unable to dodge. It's the best American crime film since Michael Mann's Heat.
February 27, 2018
It starts strong, but the development loses steam and narrative intensity, offering little. [Full Review in Spanish]
February 27, 2018
Scorsese proves he can just simply entertain. The Departed may be his most commercial film yet, but the fluidity of the camerawork, the intricate storytelling, and the exquisite tension leave no doubt that you're in the hands of a master.
March 16, 2017
The definitive Boston Irish mob movie of our era was made by an Italian from Queens.
February 23, 2016
The legendary director successfully converts a tight little thriller into a grand opera, and it's the best work he's done in the last 10 years.
January 25, 2015
The Departed is an example of a cinematic master seeking to live up to the veneration with which he is regarded by his pupils.
January 25, 2015
The dialogue crackles wittily and obscenely, and the set-pieces are superbly staged.
January 25, 2015
Not only is The Departed not among the best of Scorsese's films; it's not even the best version of this film.
January 25, 2015
Nicholson is on good-to-great form as the paternal brute, and lends an inimitable relish to certain lines in William Monahan's screenplay.
January 25, 2015
As in his remake of Cape Fear, Scorsese has mucked up a B-movie he professes to love: producing something full of twists but devoid of that lovely, fluttery, rare thing: surprise.
January 25, 2015
Smart, tough talk, and lots of it, drives The Departed.
January 25, 2015
It's a convoluted, rich plot that goes back decades, but The Departed is so sure-footed it all makes sense.
January 25, 2015
There's a lot of tough talk from tough men in this testosterone-fueled thriller, as the thin blue line disintegrates amid gritty give-and-take in William Monahan's excellent script.
Page 1 of 14