The Departed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Departed Reviews

½ June 18, 2016
The Departed is a very entertaining movie with a fun story, terrific performances from its great cast and some quite memorable sequences, but it is still an incredibly clichÚd gangster flick with typical characters and a very formulaic plot. It is also overlong as it should have been shorter for at least half an hour. But it is still surprisingly solid and entertaining.
½ June 12, 2016
Scorsese delivers another excellent movie featuring a constantly changing plot and great performances by DiCaprio, Nicholson, and Damon.
June 8, 2016
Unbelievable film. This is my favorite Scorsese film that I've seen however I think it's mainly because of the performances by its leads, specifically Matt Damon, DiCaprio, and Nicholson
½ May 26, 2016
One of my favorite movies
May 26, 2016
May not be Scorsese's best, and thats saying something because this movie is excellent.
May 23, 2016
The BEST crime based movie you'll ever see. Dicaprio and Damon are brilliant. Nicholson is as solid as ever.
May 19, 2016
DiCaprio's + Scorsese = fu*king masterpiece
May 14, 2016
Great Cast, amazing movie and awesome soundtrack. In my Top 5 best movies ever list. P.S. HUGE fan of the Boston accents!
May 13, 2016
It's a confusing film to follow, but that's what makes it so good, it's not just your typical action film. The unique plot is exemplified by the emotion that follows the characters.
May 12, 2016
Holy all-star cast Batman! Last man standing is Marky Mark?!?!
May 10, 2016
I like this film, but I certainly don't love it. My biggest problem with it is that I just don't like Nicholson in this one. It's not that I think he gives a particularly bad performance. I just think he's the entirely wrong person to be playing this part. (Is there a right person to be playing an apparently Irish gangster named "Frank Costello"? Where the hell does that name come from?) He really seems to be walking around in a different film from the rest of the cast. His giant presence seems to pull the focus of the film away from where it should be sitting with Damon and DiCaprio. I have a few other small issues. Scorsese's usually infallible feel for music seems to have let him down here since he includes both the intolerably awful Dropkick Murphys and a terrible version of "Confortably Numb" by Roger Waters with Van Morrison's band (???). I do like Vera Farmiga quite a lot here, but I'm ultimately unclear why her character is in the film.
May 8, 2016
While the entire film is amazing, and nicely paced, the ending feels rushed, and unsatisfying.
April 29, 2016
The Departed is a fantastic and thrilling movie, Scorsese is a master film director and he proves it in this amazing, well-performed masterpiece.
April 27, 2016
Oses fores kai an to dis ta 5 asteria einai liga gia auti tin taineia... Aristourgima!!!
April 27, 2016
Scorsese only used the outline of Infernal Affairs to create an American remake. Scorsese's version is more stylistically interesting, but not as emotionally involving as the original. This version still managed to transcend the source material, and is better than most Western remakes, which are typically just shot-by-shot rehashes of the original for audiences too lazy to read subtitles.
½ April 26, 2016
The Departed (2006) ??? 1/2
Knockout crime saga packs a tremendous punch. Three major players: rookie DiCaprio, undercover for Boston state police, infiltrates (and is trusted by) crime boss Nicholson. Meanwhile Damon, trusted Police officer, is an ally of that same crime boss. As the characters interact, tension mounts. Mature, gripping remake of INFERNAL AFFAIRS is a biting, intense character study, and a bravura piece of moviemaking. Every performance in the movie is exceptional, with Wahlberg the surprising standout. Overlength is the only criticism to this otherwise crackerjack crime thriller. Scorsese finally picked up an Oscar for his fine directing here. Film also won Best Picture, script and editing Oscars.
April 23, 2016
Thanks to a well-written script performed by a packed cast of A-listers, The Departed is by far one of the most enticing crime dramas ever made. The characters are so efficiently fleshed out, too. Add in great music, editing, and a masterful job directing, and Scorcese's 2006 film earns a rare 5/5 rating from this humble amateur.
April 23, 2016
Excellent movie - a must see !
April 22, 2016
Very good movie. The acting was above average and very good suspense. Many different players all following their own course and the collisions are inevitable