The Departed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Departed Reviews

October 12, 2016
Martin Scorsese's best film since "Goodfellas."
September 23, 2016
This is a better version then the Chinese one. Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio is absolutely the beast of this film. Jack Nicholson should be in a comedy because he is good but he isn't as bad as Matt Damon. I hate dirty cops. This reminds me of Training Day when Denzel Washington plays the villain dirty cop. A must see film
½ September 22, 2016
A little slow at the beginning, but everything else makes this a very unique and fantastic experience. Top notch acting, and almost exceptional plot progression.
September 17, 2016
When it comes to a Martin Scorsese film, it is not a surprise for me to be highly expected for what he can do with his filmmaking skills. However, I was not ready for the superior acting delivered by Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, and Mark Wahlberg.
½ September 9, 2016
The cast does an outstanding job and drives the movie with funny, often profane and very witty dialogues. Even though the ending felt a little rushed and somewhat unjustified, the movie was absorbing and super entertaining.
½ September 6, 2016
Great crime film (would've been next level had it not been for a couple flaws), featuring next level work from Matt Damon and Jack Nicholson
August 27, 2016
For me, the ending almost ruins the movie. DiCaprio is great in it.
½ August 19, 2016
Unbelievable cast! Painfully slow at times.
August 18, 2016
Finally got to check this movie off my To See list - well worth the wait.
August 18, 2016
One of the great gangster films of all time - Scorsese really nailed it with this film and it was worthy of the Oscars it one. Great cast and another brilliant acting performance by Jack Nicholson.
August 13, 2016
It may cause too much weight on viewer that none of the characters knows what's going on.
August 9, 2016
Funny that this should be so highly reveiwed. It's a pretty mediocre film with highly incosistent parts and mainly one dimensional characters. Scorsese is generally rather overrated. Goodfellas was excellent, other than that his films have by and large been meh...
½ August 9, 2016
Love this movie! This is pure entertainment. A masterpiece?, maybe not... But you will love it. This is a movie one must watch before he or she dies.
August 5, 2016
63% - The Departed is a regular gangster film that consists of usual themes in the genre. But due to the strong performances of a great cast, the film remains to be quite watchable.
August 2, 2016
10 out of 10:

A gripping and powerfully acted mobster film that finally warranted Scorsese's Oscar.
July 26, 2016
You know I really liked this movie when I first watched it until I found out the truth! Scorsese stole this plot from a Hong Kong movie created in 2002 called Infernal Affairs! Even down to the scene involving the writing on the envelope! Talk about f_cking plagiarism!
July 25, 2016
Another fantastic piece of work from Scorsese. This is a fascinating invitation into the world of undercover policing, corruption and mob culture, all with the familar signatures of this exceptional film maker...fast paced, beautifully edited, fantastic soundtrack and sharp script....it's also very funny. With this all star cast behind the wheel and the addition of a 'Pink Floyd' song...what more could you ask for?
July 21, 2016
I decided to celebrate the Summer Solstice by watching 'The Departed'. Don't ask me why. I had previously loved the Hong Kong-made 'Infernal Affairs' trilogy on which this is based. Usually I hate when international masterpieces get remade, but this was a sterling exception. This was controversial when it took in a cartload of Oscars, particularly finally a directorial nod for Scorsese, but don't be misled--it's easily one of his finest works.

This is my Golden Rule on both remakes in general, but especially American remakes of international (particularly foreign-language) great films. When in doubt, check the label:

1. Director? (check)
2. Cast? (check)
3. Script? (check)

'The proof is in the pudding!'
July 19, 2016
One of the best thrillers I've ever seen in my life!!!
July 18, 2016