Der Todesking (The Death King) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Der Todesking (The Death King) Reviews

½ March 4, 2014
"For each man who regards it with awe, the corpse is the image of his own destiny. It bears witness to a violence which destroys not one man alone but all men in the end."
- Georges Bataille

JŲrg Buttgereit's fascination with death and corpses hasn't stopped. In this case, however, he takes a much more complex approach. Instead of attempting to be an unnecessarily pretentious or exhaustive essay of the many "faces of death", like the repulsive documentaries attempted to do in the 70s, we contemplate various perspectives on a topic that has been subject to several philosophical, religious and social interpretations.

Seven segments of a random subset (sample) of death's concept are selected and exploited, most of them in a subtle manner, but surprisingly enough, inviting to reflection. The decomposition of the human body is the only thing brought to the table as an irreversible consequence of earthly death; the metaphysical realms remain untouched. We may be led to think, therefore, that death is an indivisible instant in our existence. The real "horror" comes from the potential circumstances that drive us to pain and suffering. In fact, death fascinates me. I long for it. The disturbing part is to feel like one of the characters, and sadly, I empathized with the Sunday segment because I used to feel like that constantly, and sometimes leaving blood on the walls. I thank God infinitely for pulling me out of such hell hole.

The Death King is one of the most terrifying "horror" characters in movies, and he didn't even make a single appearance except for a drawing and a photograph!!

January 24, 2013
As recommended by Darren and Chris and curious to see it after Mark Kermode mentioned Jorg Buttgereit albeit negatively.
November 2, 2011
Der Todesking is the story of the most masochistic, suicidal creature on earth. The post-WWII German. This film shows how Allied propaganda has convinced Germans that they need to feel sorry for their past. The level of guilt the "good guys" have forced on Germans have pushed them to the edge. At least that's what I think this movie's about. I could be completely wrong. If I'm right, this is a horribly boring movie with a great theme. If I'm wrong, this is a horribly boring movie. It certainly does have its great moments, but they're few and far between. This is really the slowest pile of crap calling itself a movie that I've ever seen.
½ October 6, 2010
30 Days of Horror Day 6:

This is a piece of shit that horror fans will tell you is good, in attempt to gain some sort of art cred.

It's almost as boring and self indulgent as Begotten.
July 25, 2010
potentially for the "That's Fucked Up" list; vignettes depicting various unrelated suicides over the course of one week
March 31, 2010
Wanna see suicide 7 different ways? Okay.
August 5, 2009
A depressing view into suicide. Though it's by Buttregeit (of Nekromantik fame) it's quite a departure from the rest of his work. Sure it's disturbing but overall you can't help but feel sorry/angry or indifferent (the same thoughts that may arise if say you personally knew someone who committed suicide) for the characters involved. The story is told in a vignette form using instead the theme of suicide as the main focal point and using 7 different characters on each day of the week showcasing their self-inflicted demise.
June 26, 2009
Good film but feels incomplete. More a series of vinettes intercut with footage of a decomposing corpse. Very disturbing in places but in a psychological sense, makes you question your own life and is actually more of a meditation on life and death.
June 8, 2009
An absolutely stunning piece of cinema.
August 5, 2008
Monday A man comes home, phones his boss to resign from his job, writes mysterious letters, cleans his apartment and swallows poison in his bathtub. His death is simultaneous with the death of his fish, the only being that was close to him.

Tuesday A man rents a film in a video store, a movie in which Nazi soldiers are torturing a prisoner in a concentration camp, castrating him and painting a swastika on his breast. When the young man's girlfriend comes home, she yells at him until he kills her with a gun. This whole episode is being shown on a TV screen in a room where somebody has been hanged.

Wednesday A man and a girl meet in a park in the pouring rain. The man tells the girl about his disastrous sex life with his wife which led to him killing her. The girl pulls out a gun to kill him, but the man takes it from her and blows his brains out.

Thursday A motorway bridge somewhere in Germany, superimposed by the names, ages and occupations of the people who have jumped from it.

Friday A woman, alone in her apartment, is observing a young, seemingly happy couple in the neighbourhood. She spies on them and finds a chain letter in front of her door, urging her to kill herself. Obviously everybody in the house got the letter. She ignores it, eats chocolates and falls asleep, dreaming of surprising her parents when they make love. The camera shows the young couple, dead on their bed.

Saturday A young woman, equipped with a camera and a gun, kills several people in the audience of a rock concert (the front man is played by Die ńrzte-drummer Bela B.) and records it on film, until someone kills her.

Sunday A man, alone on his bed, is crying and banging his head over and over violently against the wall until he dies.
June 22, 2008
As you can see, I am making good and tasteful use of my popcorn-film download capabilities.
April 9, 2008
I know Jörg Buttgereit can make great movies. So I really want to see this.
March 9, 2008
death, absolute death.
January 30, 2008
One of the weirdest forms of art
½ November 27, 2007
not Jörg Buttgereits best flick - that would be Nekromantik, but well worth to watch!
November 17, 2007
emo kill yourself movie
October 20, 2007
Når totalt sett inte upp till samma nivå som Nekromantik, men har en högre ambitionsnivå...
½ September 27, 2007
Vissa kallar filmen konstnärlig splatter, jag kallar den annorlunda.
Jörg Buttgereit är en unik regissör.
September 20, 2007
Excellent. Less confronting visually that his other work, however Buttgereit tops them all in emotional and thematic impact. A powerful, moving film that will challenge your perception of suicide and death. Not for the weak of will.
½ September 4, 2007
Meh. i expected more from buttgereit