Derailed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Derailed Reviews

August 10, 2016
I really like this film for some reasons but I don't even know where to start with this. Derailed is one of those movies that people find the story so predictable and ludicrous, the book I think is much better for people cause for this movie has some twists and turns. Clive Owen is a good actor, Jennifer Aniston is good and Vincent Cassel is a great actor and he's good in it. He plays a good villian and on top of that the scene where he rapes Jennifer Aniston's character I just thought it was sex cause I can hear him say ''Hey Chuck, fuck her like that.'' Good God! What's wrong with people back then? It has many plot holes which I don't understand however I can't even find the plot holes in any movies that I've watched but please give me a break. Derailed is just a good thrilling film with plot twists and a twist ending, I won't spoil it for you. I can watch it over and over if I had the chance.
½ July 13, 2016
A devious twisted thriller that loves to play with your mind. Jennifer Aniston is great here.
May 13, 2016
well made tense thriller!
April 25, 2016
Admittedly still entertaining, Derailed could have been passably ok if not for some blunt dialogue and a predictable twist that more than derails it.
½ March 16, 2016
I just watched this again after years and I've forgotten that it's a pretty good movie. The plot is intriguing and the suspense builds up to a satisfying conclusion.
½ February 3, 2016
Not much to say about this film.
The plot was preposterous and it just never made sense.
I kept waiting for something to click with the film but it never happened.
February 2, 2016
Adequately suspenseful and amply jarring, Derailed is a fairly generic, yet ripened suspense thriller embedded in a predictable and churlish narrative that weaves gossamer threads of drama and mystery across its suitably gritty palette of aesthetics.

Individually, Jennifer Aniston, Clive Owen, and Vincent Cassel are assets to the film's long-range impact, but their respective characters -- and the interpersonal relationships formed among their characters -- are poorly developed, which bolsters two-dimensional character designs in spite of the actors' talents. The lack of depth in these characters also sufficiently debases their relatability and admonishes any compassion one might feel towards them even when they are targeted by misfortune throughout the film. It is difficult, after all, to elicit concern or sympathy from the viewer when they haven't been given enough material to attach themselves to the characters.

However, Jennifer Aniston proves, once again, she can fulfill her duties in a serious role, even if she wasn't as powerful here as she had been in The Good Girl (2002) with co-star Jake Gyllenhaal. Clive Owen offers his usual dark eyes and fastidious movements so suited to the genre. The chemistry between Owen and Aniston certainly registered, but it came across flat, and this was distracting because it was a hinderance to the film's credibility. Vincent Cassel, an otherwise great performance, had a tendency to push the limits of his performance in a way that felt forced and contrived at times. Nevertheless, performances were generally staunch when it came to fueling the plot.

[C] -- 57%
January 7, 2016
December 5, 2015
Cautionary tale about cheating on your spouse or scamming people out of their money. Loved it. Good revenge film with great actors.
½ August 16, 2015
Il y a quelques bonnes idées dans Derailed, mais elles sont noyées dans un océan de banalité qui n'est sauvé que par Clive Owen et Jennifer Aniston, tandis que Vincent Cassel dépasse les limites du ridicule, dans un rôle de méchant français typique. Les twists sont évidents, le rythme est très mal dosé et la mise en scène de Mikael Hafstrom ne marche que par segments isolés. Notons cependant que RZA et Xzibit sont étrangement bons dans de tous petits rôles, mais cela ne fait pas de Derailed un film qu'on pourrait retrouver avec plaisir 10 ans après sa sortie en salles. Il y a bien mieux et bien plus intéressant dans le même genre.
½ August 5, 2015
terrible... a guide as to how not to cope in a situation... One swift karate chop and the pain would have been over quickly for both the main character, Clive, and the sullen audience.
June 3, 2015
The fear of the inner city dirt and grit and slime exploited bigtime with this cautionary tale about a innocent and naïve businessman (?!?) seduced into an affair that explodes in his face quite literally. Everyone performs okay, only wanting for common sense from the script in this okay thriller.
March 28, 2015
this movie is much better than its rating. Clive Owen and Vince Casell are terrific and if Jennifer Anniston has a sexier role I have not seen it. Don't want to give any plot points away, but this is almost on a "Usual Suspects" level, though a very different movie.
½ March 15, 2015
3/15/2015: An ok movie with a good cast. The storyline was ok and I like the twist in the end, but it could have been better if it would have been more aggressive.
½ February 23, 2015
Tense drama with some nice twists. Jennifer Aniston stars in this thriller that may seem obvious but is a fun ride just the same.
February 9, 2015
A great twist at the end but I've definitely seen better.
January 17, 2015
Rewatched last night after many years. I actually could remember the twist in this one, and actually it's glaringly obvious anyhow, which I don't recall it being first time around.
Still a good movie. Jennifer Aniston does a good job here. And quite different to some of the fluff she's normally associated with (not a criticism - I've enjoyed a lot of it over the years. I actually do think she's a good and quite versatile actress).
I did have to suspend disbelief quite a few times with some of the things that happen- seemed way too easy. Particularly what happened at the very end - as if someone would get away with that. Ditto to the hotel scene (second one).
But decent thriller. Well cast and looks good.
January 2, 2015
Nice drama/thriller and a good story.
November 29, 2014
Great movie! Kind of long but excellent turn of events.