The Desert Fox - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Desert Fox Reviews

October 3, 2017
Really good old film about a great WWII general. Though it is mostly fictional as far as plot goes it does tell a pretty accurate story of general Rommel. A lot would demonize him because he fought for Germany, but Rommel himself wasn't a Nazi. Even though the acting is nothing flashy I still love the way the characters are carried out, James mason's.
March 13, 2017
Rommel is interesting...but something about British actors portraying Germans rubs me wrong
July 28, 2016
In the past few years, I truly felt that I couldn't really consider myself a true-blooded cinephile after giving such short shrift to the cinema of the 1920s-60's, particularly in the genres of war films, westerns and musicals. In trying to right that, this was one of those films I stockpiled for a rainy day. It was greatly enjoyable, and one of my favourite actors from that era, James Mason, was so good at playing this kind of heinous yet brilliant villain. Heartily recommended.
½ September 22, 2015
The Desert Fox is an incredible film. It is about the final years of the respected World War II German general, Erwin Rommel. James Mason and Cedric Hardwicke give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Henry Hathaway did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and action.
January 29, 2014
This is a limited biopic that almost bulletpoints the events of its subject's life but when the general public thinks of Rommel they likely picture James Mason, and so this has to be regarded as an iconic role for the actor.
August 18, 2013
I found this a bit too dry for my tastes.
August 2, 2013
This movie suffers a bit from an uneven mood: It feels like part documentary (since it uses a lot of actual combat footage), part Cold War propaganda (building up Rommel a bit too much as a sympathetic character for Western audiences), and part World War II drama. The first half of the film feels weak for those reasons, but then the performances among the lead actors abruptly get really good when Rommel starts to get drawn into the plot to assassinate Hitler. Chronicling that plot and its aftermath become the focus of the movie thereafter, and it's done very well, so despite the uneven quality, I rate it 3 stars on the strength of the performances of James Mason, Jessica Tandy, Cedric Hardwick, and especially Leo G. Carroll, who utterly convinced me that he'd been playing the palace intrigue game with the German general staff his whole life.
May 28, 2013
Boring story about a German general who (finally) feels that Hitler is mad
September 29, 2012
A sensational James Mason as the most popular German general--History's mysteries!!
½ August 12, 2012
a decent but busy film that mostly is accurate, but features very little of Rommel's legendary battlefield tactics and record, and mostly focuses on his disagreement with Hitler and support of the conspirators.
July 29, 2012
Compelling multi-layered portrait of Nazi Field Marshal Rommel. It's interesting that just six years after the ending of WWII that a Hollywood film would actually make a film about a Nazi who although was part of a plot to kill Hitler, would still get a quite sympathetic film made about them. Mason is great as always, but there is also a terrific supporting cast that includes Leo G. Carroll, Richard Boone, George Macready and Jessica Tandy. Producer/screenwriter Nunnally Johnson delivers another strong script and director Henry Hathaway is reliable as always for delivering good action sequences. A smart and thoughtful war biography told from the other side.
June 30, 2012
An accurate account of one of the great WWII generals.
May 12, 2012
James Mason liked to dress up like Rommel in his spare time and this is one of the only times it was appropriate.." Nazi ,Nazi yes, yes!!" he would scream till his pudding and Adolf doll was brought to him. I give this movie 2 swastikas up. Tanktastic!!
½ October 2, 2011
One of the best war movies I,ve ever seen. Rivals "Paths of Glory" the scenes with dialogue between the participants riveting, sure the war scenes are stock footage and cheesy but hell it was made in 51. Do yourself a favor and see this movie.
March 21, 2011
Historical accuracy skillfully laced with actual WWII footage and brilliant articulation of involving storyline. Takes an in-depth tour of Rommel; unquestionably the driving brilliance behind German control of North Africa.

Rommel was respected by both friend and foe for his class and genius in war. He is by far my personal favorite of the Axis generals.

An excellent partner to the movie "Patton".
Provides a nice turn of the table.
January 23, 2011
It state at the begining off the film this is the ture story of rommell but then skip all the backgorund histoy of the man and start at the battle of a liamin. althogh mason acting is exerlent the film was so low budget with thouse fake back drops with no actule german airaft and tanks are seen in the film. rommel is made out to be a good gay when actley he was a complete nazie and new what hitler was doing. So I give the film +20% just for mason acting
November 27, 2010
Good . But could've made it better
½ September 24, 2010
Sincere, sombre, sympathetic examination of Rommel's war from North Africa to his suicide following the failed plot to kill Hitler. James Mason is stoical in the title role and is well supported by Jessica Tandy as Frau Rommel, Sir Cedric Hardwicke and Leo G Carroll was excellent as a bitter and resigned Von Runstedt. The extensive use of stock footage from the war gives this serious movie a documentary feel. John Hoyt as Keitel, Eduard Franz as Von Staffenberg and Luther Adler as Hitler.
September 13, 2010
THE DESERT FOX (1951)
½ August 3, 2010
Good biopic on the WW2 life of Field Marshall Erwin Rommel, one of Germany's greatest army commanders. A bit too conventional and join-the-dots though.

Great performance by James Mason as Rommel.