Desert Saints - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Desert Saints Reviews

½ January 10, 2016
interesting offbeat thriller
August 16, 2015
Why is Keifer so damn good? i would love to know. A small budget movie that is entertaining, interesting, and smart.
½ November 8, 2013
So no one heard all the shots on the terrace?
July 23, 2013
it helped me a lot, i was insominiac that day
September 13, 2012
Sutherland does this character (on both sides of the law) so often he can do it in his sleep, but he does it so well it's always worth watching. Not his best, but a decent thriller with some good, but not completely unexpected, twists. Nice supporting cast as well and there is good chemistry between KS and the easy to look at Melora Walters.
½ June 29, 2011
I watched this simply because I'm a fan of Kiefer Sutherland, especially in his bad ass roles. While for fans of his the film offers some cool moments, it fails overall. The biggest problem is the lead actress, Melora Walters, who is horrendous. Think of the female version of Mark Wahlberg in The Happening. It's that bad. The plot was also largely nonsensical, with very poorly written dialogue that only Sutherland was able to deliver with any believability. The police also have a bad habit of showing up randomly despite having no apparent actionable intelligence, they just know things.
December 31, 2010
Hard to say but Kiefer keep the movie interesting. He is not of my favorite actor but in this role he was good. But Melora Walters went to further and did a good job. And i don`t just talk about her body, the script allowed to a wider role and she did a good performance.
½ September 29, 2010
Kiefer managed keep the movie going on at his parts. Without Kiefer this movie would be nada. Interesting choice was getting Sutherland to be a bad guy. That makes this movie special. They sould have told why he was doing that kidnapping and using those women to do the dirty work and then the unique style of killing: let the lady run few miles and BOOM! Haha!
½ June 8, 2010
Good. Then a twist. Better. Then the ending. Well, there had to be an ending of some sort. The on screen compatibility makes this. Kiefer helps... he's a bad guy with depth of character. Otherwise, there isn't much action. And the story has been done before.
May 28, 2010
They could've done more with it, but it was very enjoyable overall.
½ May 13, 2010
Its not a terrible film. Its a nice little genre pitcure. There have been alot worse movies made
½ April 11, 2010
I over look a lot of independent films. Especially ones that are clearly either made for tv or have been directly transferred to dvd. This one, produced by Meg Ryan, puts doubt into my preference as this is actually quite a good film. Don't get me wrong, it's not the next best Leon but it does one hell of a job. Partly due to Kiefer Sutherland who is perfect as the anithero in this story of a hitman. Stories of lone hitmen always intrigue me as it is one of the most interesting character progressions in film stories. Look at Leon just as an example. Both films have a woman that ultimately changes their perception of life. While Melora Walters has more of a secret agenda to Mathilda's motives, the parallels are quite obvious.
I don't wish to compare this film to Leon any further as it is easy to do this. Hitman film comes along...what's it like compared to Leon. Well they are both stories of hitmen and they both have women that change their lives. That's it.
This is film is very character driven and wants you to get involved with the characters and there are quite a few characters to focus on. If you have your wits about you, the ending doesn't really come as a surprise but hopefully satisfying none the less.
See this film if, like me, you are prejudice about films being transferred directly to dvd or made for tv and are looking to open your eyes a little.
½ April 11, 2010
½ January 10, 2010
It kept my interest although I wouldn't rush out to see again. I liked it.
December 29, 2009
Good movie, about a serial killer and a woman who he gets to help him with a job.
½ September 7, 2009
ubaya hakuisha vizuri
March 31, 2009
This is reasonable, with a good surprise ending, but it tends to drift too much in the middle and I lost the will to go on for a while. There's not a great feeling of suspense which would have grabbed me more. Overall the acting is fairly average, although Sutherland holds it together. If you've watched all the good ones, pick this before guessing wildly with the rest.
½ March 17, 2009
This was a good weee movie. Sutherland was great as mild-mannered hit man Arthur Banks, trying to do his latest job, when he comes across Bennie, who's running from her husband.
Not to go into detail, the plot was good, kinda weird and I loved the patter, too lol:P
½ March 7, 2009
Cheap, sloppy but fun enough road thriller.
February 1, 2009
The biggest problem with this, is how poorly it was filmed. There are bits where the camera work is absolutely atrocious. Seriously, how do you make a feature length film in this day and age that contains shots that are out of focus???

Some of the shots Sutherland makes (don't give me that tungsten-core bullshit) and things he does (no way that furnace burns hot enough) are so utterly implausible - not just like, action movie fantastic and therefore suitably implausible, but like, over the top corny implausible - that you stop taking what is a fairly serious film seriously. That having been said, the plot, while somewhat predictable, isn't terrible.

Once you get past the dragging beginning of the the film, the story actually becomes quite compelling. If you can look past the glaring cheapness of this flick, you'll quite enjoy it.