Desk Set - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Desk Set Reviews

February 6, 2013
One of the greatest pairings in Hollywood shine in this 1957 romantic comedy. With issues that are still relevant today; technological advances taking the jobs of humans, the real story is the developing relationship between the two protagonists, one who is about to lose their job because of the other. Hepburn and Tracy really do have an amazing chemistry on screen and mixed with the witty and sharp dialogue, or more so banter between the two this is a remarkable film that is so enjoyable to watch.
October 1, 2012
OMG intelligent, independant women in 1957! I watch every time this love story is on TV
September 27, 2012
Not my usually watched genre but this was very entertaining. Katherine Hepburn is so energetic and carries the movie so well.Spencer Tracy ,well ,charming and relaxed is superb to watch.
½ September 20, 2012
A clever office comedy focusing on new technology vs old...it really is also a vehicle for at the time unheard of company IBM company pushing a product called a computer....who would have thought it'd take off.

Spencer Tracey to me really steals the show, he underplays this role to a tee & has such a presence. Hepburn is always her usual wonderful self, this film gets a little chaotic near the end but it has a charm to it.

It's incredible how 95% of this film is a complete set but they pull it off & it is worth a watch a cute light comedy.
½ April 13, 2012
If You haven't seen every hepburn, then you are missing out. I love it when she is "drunk" and talking to spencer on a "ship"
½ March 7, 2012
I love the dialoge in the movies. It is so funny.
February 5, 2012
i just rewatched this movie hepburn an tracy just are great together so funny
January 9, 2012
love this movie. One of the best Tracy,Hepburn movies ever.
½ November 6, 2011
classic Hepburn/Tracy...loved it
October 12, 2011
Cute in the romantic, screwball comedy kind of way.
September 27, 2011
Great movie. It has humor, romance, intelligence and wit. Loved it!
August 27, 2011
Bubbly comedy which is clearly a vehicle for Tracy and Hepburn to bounce one-liners off each other, but it is fun.
July 4, 2011
What I really appreciated in this movie was that Hepburn was like - what, 50? - and Tracy approaching 60, and they could still create a magic movie that never, ever alludes to their age (which modern studio execs, particularly Nancy Meyers, would absolutely leap on). Also, I think that Joan Blondell is a ton of fun. It's nice to know she held onto her spark til the end.
June 17, 2011
If great is the norm...

Tracey and Hepburn certainly hit it again. Not that these two ever made a bad movie together anyway. Not as involved as 'Adams Rib' or 'Woman of the Year', it simply plays out, a light hearted yarn where we get to watch them play.

A great Saturday afternoon comedy.
June 9, 2011
A thoroughly entertaining tale of business and romance carried on the charming back and forth of it's two leads. It's fascinating how issues in regards to technology raised in a film almost fifty years old can still feel current so many years later (although computers have obviously come a long way).
June 9, 2011
Wonderful interplay between Tracy and Hepburn is somewhat overshadowed by references to out-of-date technology, but more often than not, this is a great little film.
½ May 26, 2011
A clever and fun Tracy/Hepburn film. I enjoyed this one and it was just a good solid film.
½ December 24, 2010
A comedy that's more fun than funny with Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn. This 1957 office love story very wisely demonstrates the importance of distinguishing the human element from the computer element in the workplace. The bottom line is this is a pretty good Hepburn movie that has the feel of a stage-play and is certainly worth watching.
December 19, 2010
This is a cool xmas movie, about when Katherine Hepburn was a human search engine....
November 28, 2010
The performances of Tracy and Hepburn - and sometimes the writing - make Desk Set an addictive watch, but to be totally frank it's also a pretty awful film and the computer angle must have seemed ridiculous even in 1957.