Desperate Measures - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Desperate Measures Reviews

October 1, 2016
One of the more disposable thrillers of the 90's, Desperate Measures is too ludicrous and ridiculous to be taken seriously. It has an fun performance from Michael Keaton as the sociopath villain, and when he analyzes his victims the movie pops. Unfortunately, its the rather bland Andy Garcia as a desperate father who doesn't do much but chase the badguy. The villain cuts through incompetent cops and bystanders, and the movie is cheesy and barely thrilling. Skip it and rewatch a better 90's thriller instead.
April 16, 2016
... People don't like this movie?
January 12, 2016
Michael Keaton & Andy Garcia! Kakov tim! Nema ovakvi trileri poveke :(
July 11, 2015
This is one of both Keaton's and Garcia's BEST movies. I love the perfect amount of action, drama, and suspense that keeps you guessing & on the edge of your seat from the beginning. It would be great to have more movies like this made where the actors are actually believable, it's not poorly recorded or too caught up in special effects, and there is a plot that isn't stupid.
May 14, 2015
You just don;t believe this plot line so the rest really does not matter.
½ November 27, 2014
11/26/2014: An ok movie with a very good cast. The action was pretty good and Keaton plays a pretty good bad guy. The storyline was very weak though.
September 8, 2014
Bon thriller. Course poursuite dans un hopital entre un Andy Garcia en mode flic pret a tout et un Michael Keaton en derange mental.
May 23, 2014
good thriller gr8 cast
½ May 22, 2014
Better than average action / suspense movie. Garcia is good as the cop determined to pull out all the stops to save his dying son, but Keaton is fantastic as the murderer who is hoped to be the boy's savior. The story is unbelievable, but the performances get you beyond that. Worth a watch.
February 28, 2014
This could of been better, especially when you got Michael Keaton as the villain, that is literally the best thing about the film because he's convincing.
½ January 11, 2014
Desperate Measures (Barbet Schroeder, 1998)
[originally posted 19Feb2001]

I'm never sure whether I'm going to like a Barbet Schroeder flick when I sit down to watch it. Half the time he pulls off amazing feats of grace under pressure (Reversal of Fortune, Our Lady of the Assassins), and the other half of the time he crafts enjoyable if mindless fluff that stands one viewing well, two viewings passably, and pales by the third (Single White Female, Kiss of Death). Five minutes into Desperate Measures, I was convinced it was the latter; a day after watching it, I'm still not convinced it's the former, but I'm farther along the road than I was at that point.

Peter McCabe (Michael Keaton) is a highly intelligent psychopath, a less likable Hannibal Lecter, whose bone marrow happens to be a match for the dying son of Frank Conner (Andy Garcia). All Conner has to do is convince McCabe to be a donor to save his son, and keep McCabe from escaping somewhere between going out of his cell and going back into his cell. Needless to say, that doesn't work, or it would be a very, very short film.

Much of the movie's appeal rests solely on the head of Andy Garcia, one of the best actors in Hollywood right now, and one of the most underrated as well. He's not as engaging here as he is in his best roles (Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead, Black Rain, Dead Again, etc.), but his acting ability is enough to make the film watchable. Keaton seems constricted by his role, but one gets the impression that has more to do with the director than the actor himself. A number of decent minor roles also show up in the film (Marcia Gay Harden is especially pleasing as the doctor slated to perform the operation, who gets caught up in the whole mess).

If plot's more important to you than acting, however, don't bother with this one. Each "twist" can be seen coming a mile off, and if the ending doesn't make you want to seek Schroeder out and smack him personally, I'll eat my review. Perhaps the most predictable thing I've seen in the past five years. Oh, well, you can't have everything. ** 1/2
September 8, 2013
+ simple but interesting plot; good acting from Michael Keaton; good suspense overall
- it drags a bit and becomes a bit ludicrous at times; some incoherent scenes; the kid performance could be better
August 6, 2013
Directed by Barbet Schroeder (Maîtresse (1976), Reversal of Fortune (1990) and Single White Female (1992)), and adapted by David Klass from his own novel, which was published before the film came out. This has a good idea for a film, but it does have some very hammy overacting, but it does have some good moments of action and nasty suspense. In San Francisco, police officer Frank Conner (Andy Garcia) is on a frantic search for a bone marrow donor for his son Matt (Joseph Cross), who has leukemia. However, the only perfect match is Peter McCabe (Michael Keaton), who is a vicious mass murderer, serving a life sentence. Although reluctant to help, Conner offers McCabe a compromise including privileges, with McCabe agrees to. But no sooner than McCabe is in the hospital, than he seizes upon the opportunity to escape, causing havoc and carnage within the place, staying one step ahead of the police, but Conner needs McCabe alive in order to save his son. It's a good idea for the film, and while Keaton relishes at being a nasty killer, he is very over the top. Yet, this is one of those action-thrillers you get that would be toned down for an audience today. Schroeder is an underrated director, and he does well with formulaic thrillers like this, and he should be given more films.
½ June 26, 2013
An excellent idea, but probably not the best executed. It could have done with a few more locations as it is quite a claustrophobic set.
½ May 4, 2013
Worst and stupidest movie ever. Don't waste your time on this piece of unbelievable crap ! ! !
May 2, 2013
I couldn't remember this to save my life. I seem to recall the plot being absolutely freaking ridiculous though.
½ April 8, 2013
Significantly underated.
March 18, 2013
The worst movie I have ever seen, bar none.
January 29, 2013
A widowed police officer requires a bone marrow transplant for his son to survive; the only donor is a vicious psychotic killer who uses this opportunity to escape. Cold thriller that is dull for the most part. It's not terrible, as it reserves some surprises.
January 26, 2013