Destination Tokyo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Destination Tokyo Reviews

June 3, 2011
This is the only WWII army film that Cary Grant ever made during the war. The film stars Cary Grant as a submarine Captain on a mission to get in to Tokyo harbour and survey weather conditions and get coordinates for their air force to bomb. The movie has that major anti Japanese attitude. Makes sense for the time this film was made. But overall it is a decent war film. Some interesting characters and scenes through out the film. Plus the film has some intense moments during battles and getting into Tokyo harbour. Not bad overall for a old black and white film. Top performances go to Grant and actor John Garfield in this. If you can get past some of the stereotypes and ignorant views of some of the soldiers in this it is a solid WWII film to check out. Worth a watch for war fans and Cary Grant fans.
February 5, 2011
Well made, suspenseful WWI submarine film of ship captain Grant taking his sub into Japanese waters. Raoul Walsh know how to direct a tight film and choreograph solid action, and this film is no exception. Good supporting cast too, with John Garfield, Alan Hale, and John Forsythe in his film debut (although he did have an uncredited role in "Northern Pursuit", also directed by Walsh).
½ December 3, 2010
DESTINATION TOKYO (1943)
October 13, 2010
I'm not crazy about this movie, but I am crazy about Grant. He gives a good performance, and the movie has some intense scenes, but overall it was kind of boring.
September 18, 2010
Good action scenes and some good dialogues, but it's boring in part and not very easy to follow.
½ August 8, 2010
This film pretty much defines propaganda. Filmed during WWII, it stars Cary Grant as the commander of a submarine on a, uh, destination to Tokyo. A lot of the actors are over the top and clichéd, trying to be so extremely heroic and sympathetic for the audience during that time, there are a lot of times where itâ??s almost laughable, but hey, itâ??s to be expected. There are a lot of great moments, especially the appendectomy which is actually well filmed and structured. Itâ??s tough to make films that take place in one location, but this film does a nice job pulling it off, especially considering itâ??s over two hours long. I could have done without the lame opening and closing patriotic narration, but whatever.
May 25, 2010
watch out for major blocks of cheese
April 3, 2010
79/100. Tense World War II propaganda film, with an impressive cast. John Garfield stands out, of course Cary Grant is always good. Alan Hale and Dane Clark are great in supporting roles. The Tokyo Bay scene is particularly exciting. Outstanding cinematography, the score is excellent and the writing was nominated for an Academy Award. Impressive special effects. It is a little long at 135 minutes, but it seldom is slow. Very well done and I am sure it helped rouse the American citizens spirits at the time.
½ April 3, 2010
Cary Grant as a sub commander in WWII. Lots of tension, a little melodramatic. This was made in 1943. It's telling what kind of war movies Hollywood used to make.
April 3, 2010
a mostly realistic, often convincing and always patriotic ww2 movie... a brilliant leadcast stands out, allthough it's generally a out-dated movie...
March 24, 2010
Grant and Garfield are stupendoulsy terrific and work well together in this war picture drama that works. It's no Longest Day, but different is not always a bad thing.
March 12, 2010
Cary Grant is at the top of his game in this tense WWII film. On a secret mission the crew endures the hardships of being a submarnier. Perception: Well done close quarters drama with a good supporting cast.
February 17, 2010
A tension-filled trip on a U.S. submarine heading to bomb Japan in WWII. Cary Grant does a great job as the boat captain, leading John Garfield, Dane Clark and Alan Hale into the Sea of Japan, through nests of undersea mines and enemy ships. I found myself holding my breath during some of the more tense action. Is that's not enough to recommend it, I don't know what else it would take.
½ February 4, 2010
One of Grant's more serious films. Suspensful and interesting if not alittle propagandist.
½ January 24, 2010
A must see film ...Cary Grant is perfection!
½ January 22, 2010
January 16, 2010
August 10, 2009
one of my fave WWII movies
½ June 23, 2009
This film starts up a little ho-hum, and the characters follow a goofball formula.Once they get their orders and have to go to Tokyo Bay for recon work the film really picks up.Cary Grant is great as usual as the sub captain and the rest of the crew find their barrings and become good characters after awhile. Some of the underwater footage looks good,but it's models in a small pool and at times looks too fake. I liked the story,but a few too many flashbacks.This movie was made during the war so it is patriotic and racist towards the Japanese,but all films made during this period were. Defiantly worth a watch,especially if your a Cary Grant fan.
June 17, 2009
Great WWII movie. Little dated maybe but good. I'm always very excited when I'm watching a submarine film. Very nice.