Destino - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Destino Reviews

½ February 11, 2010
I love this movie! Whether it's the haunting soundtrack or just the imagery by Dali, this movie is like a cult movie for me.
November 19, 2009
Salvador Dali and Walt Disney teamed up over 50 years ago to make this short. Due to monetary restrictions, it was scrapped, but not after they created several very in depth storyboards. Fast forward to 1999, Roy Disney commissioned for the movie to be finished for a since scrapped 'Fantasia 2006'. It has since been playing various film festivals and recently made it's way to be view online. I give all this backstory because A) it's pretty damn interesting in my opinion, B) it's an unconventional movie to say the least. The animation is amazing and the song is sutiable, and I fear if I give more away it'll ruin the experience, but involves some well known Dali like imagery!
½ August 31, 2009
This short film really brings Dali's work to life. The animation is of a typical Disney feature, although bringing some elements of Dali's earlier work into it. Good short film of surreal moments. Go youtube it!
August 28, 2009
Beautiful! Disney should make this into a feature length film!
½ August 4, 2009
The long lost collobration between Dali and Disney is finally given life in a very short yet intensely beautiful film of love lost and regained.
½ July 25, 2009
Yes! This is what animation is about! So many people seem to forget the limitlessness and subtle texture and beauty cel-animation can achieve. I'm sure Dali himself would be proud of the finished product. It was about time Disney completed it.
½ July 25, 2009
Well-done long overdue Disney short that hearkens back to when Dali and Disney worked together on this.

This is perhaps the most artistic endeavor to come out of Disney animation since Sleeping Beauty
½ July 7, 2009
I saw this at the Salvador Dali museum last year. It is a beautiful and beautifully animated short film. Too bad it took so long to produce.
½ June 9, 2009
If you get a chance, see it! It's fantastically surreal and beautiful.
October 25, 2008
tripiest movie i have ever seen
August 30, 2008
An absolute wonder! Dali's imagination combined with Disney's talent! All the animators at Disney Studios did an amazing job in creating this masterpiece, after 58 years of its original concept work. After also seeing storyboard sketches by Dali, I appreciated the final work even more. Can't wait for Nov 11 DVD release!
½ August 6, 2008
Finally got to see this at MoMA! Although it's impossible to envision what exactly Disney and Dali would have created, this film does make a formidable attempt. I'm very happy it was finally completed, not only as a testament and tribute to two one-of-a-kind, world-over inspiring artists, but also as a fantastic, provocative artistic exercise for us all to enjoy. The only thing that got on my nerves were the modern-"Disney"-like expressions on the characters' faces at times... a quizzical cookie-cutter look every modern-day Disney character seems to express these days. But, I suppose that's one of the crutch points where the director found balance-- surreal art with Disney-like character expressions. Would Disney have done it the same way? If only they had completed it back in the 40's...
July 27, 2008
Dali­ and Disney together are a wonderful sight indeed--and it seems a small miracle that it actually happened, considered the massive lapse in time between the project's conception and its release. Oddly enough, it seems Destino is meeting with even more delays--a very agitating thought, indeed.

I saw this at the Dali­ Museum in St. Petersburg, FL--and I would not suggest attempting to watch a movie there to anyone.

Regardless, Destino was amazing. The visuals and images are stunning--and a reminder of the value of a form of artistry that seems to have been more or less tossed to the sidelines as a result of computer animation.

Furthermore, there has always been something about Dali­'s artwork that made it seem like his paintings SHOULD move. And here they do, with fantastic results.
½ July 21, 2008
Salvador Dali and Walt Disney restored short film collaboration. Beautiful film but the restoration could have been a little more faithful. For instance I wish they would have used technology only available at the time Disney and Dali started this film instead of some of the CGI effects used. Still, overall a beautiful film.
½ July 8, 2008
Set against the fantastic imagery of Salvador Dali, "Destino" is a tale of passion and longing. The music and imagery combine perfectly to convey the story with emotion rather than words, and fans of Disney will recognize the retro style still present in this recently co pleted classic. Art fans and animation buffs will love this film simply for the images, and anyone with a mild curiosity about the subject matter should give it a try.
February 21, 2008
A collaboration between Dali and Disney? Are you FREAKIN kidding me? Though completed in '03. The DVD release of the film is set on November 11, 2008. I eagerly await!
February 4, 2008
where can this film be found!?!?!?
January 27, 2008
I can not find this on DVD anywhere although countless places say that I can get a copy. This is an amazing film by two of the greatest artists of all time!
January 14, 2008
Tuve la oportunidad de ver este corto durante una exposicion de Dali en el museo de arte del condado de Los Angeles, la pelicula dura 7 minutos pero fue una experiencia inolvidable, especialmente porque a mi me gusta el arte de Dali, fue una mezcla rara la que hicieron con Disney, de transformar la tipica historia del chico que conoce a una chica y se enamoran (bien a lo Disney) y darle un significado distinto a traves de la imaginacion del artista, encaminado hacia un suceso inusual, un esfuerzo sobrehumano por encontrar una salida en el laberinto del tiempo, todos los momentos de tension sexual y sufrimiento, es una pelicula bien interesante.
Dali es un genio!
No puedo creer que no encuentre una copia decente para bajar, y todavia espero el DVD que nunca lo sacan, jaja. Si tienen la oportunidad de ver esta pelicula veanla, son 7 minutos pero valen la pena.