Desu pawuda (Death Powder) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Desu pawuda (Death Powder) Reviews

½ February 22, 2010
An absolute acid-trip of a film. I'm not too sure why I like it so much, but I found it to be incredibly enjoyable. Highly recommended for both cyberpunk fans and underground film buffs. Everyone else will probably be a little freaked out by it.
January 26, 2010
i can't really elaborate on the plot as this is a extremely surreal film. from the little that i managed to gleam the film revolves around some sort of experiment. this experiment leads to the creation of a powder which seems to enable the person who inhales it access to another reality.

the film itself was put together in a way i have never seen before. it was very non-linear and experimented a lot with different modes of storytelling. some of the visuals displayed reminded me of Cronenberg's films and were intensely gritty.

overall i totally dug it and look forward to re-watching it. if you liked Tetsuo the Ironman then definitely check out Death Powder.
½ July 13, 2009
trippy japanese cyberpunk surrealism. Not as good as Tetsuo, but better than Pinocchio 964.
July 8, 2009
Sci-fi nightmare goes wrong and all hell breaks looks. Quite rare film with that dull/boring touch!
½ June 14, 2009
After sitting through this film, my only response is a resounding "Huh?" Granted, the version I watched seemed to lapse in its subtitling from time to time, but I don't think a full translation would have done much to clear up this muddled mess. Allow me to (briefly) try to illustrate:

A woman is being chased down an alley, but we never see her again once the scene ends. A guy and a girl seem to be building an android, when the guy they left to look after it apparently turns on them--only to be back on their side by the movie's end. The guy loses a hand, and starts turning into the Toxic Avenger. There are random mutants who think that "the dust has opened their minds," and that they've "transcended the flesh." There's what appears to be a commercial for androids, with music that sounds like what I'd imagine to be the Japanese AC/DC. And a van of delivery people gets eaten by a huge, rubbery, amorphous blob of flesh. None of this is as cool as it sounds.

The entire thing is an incomprehensible, half-baked catastrophe, laden with more horrid '80s video effects than you can shake a stick at. I'm only rating it as highly as I am, because I want to give SOME benefit of the doubt that a full translation might make it marginally better.
½ August 31, 2008
The movie itself was pretty dull/boring/unintelligible. However, there were so many great visuals that it was ok to watch. Maybe if this was a short it would have been better. This is true cyber-punk.