Detachment - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Detachment Reviews

February 3, 2013
This was amazing! Too bad none of the critics will ever be able to understand this...they are all old and have had their education paid for. They know absolutely nothing of the subject matter in this film, they've certainly never been in these situations. This was very good and hit close to home for me.
February 2, 2013
I enjoyed this depressing movie about a long term substitute teacher dealing with troubled students and his lonely life. Brody's great here.
February 2, 2013
It's the "End of Watch" for teaching, yet, completely original and compelling. Great performances all around and another great one in the bag for Tony Kaye.
½ January 30, 2013
Tuesday, January 8, 2013

(2012) Detachment
DRAMA/ SOCIAL COMMENTARY

Obviously inspired by films such as "To Sir With Love" and "The Blackboard Jungle" and others like it. Starring Adrien Brody as Henry Barthes on his first teaching day on possibly one of the worst schools in America full of students who happen to be misfits, criminals and mental issues and are getting away with their criminal behaviour because of they're underage and because their parents are ignorantly self indulgent. Lack of funding for education blah, blah, blah- showcasing criminal situations that can either be thought up by newspapers or by writers coming up with this stuff themselves. the person who's the center of all of this are well intentioned and goody goody Mr. Henry Barthes played by Adrien Brody who also happends to be the narrator as well. Very hopeless film which law enforcement or government are never used as part of a solution to rectify any of the issues. Although I struggled to watching this I was able to finish this film as a result of seeing some recognizable actors and just seeing them act such as Lucty Liu, Marcia Gay Harden, Christina Hendricks,Blythe Danner, Tim Blake Nelson, William Petersen, Bryan Cranston and James Caan. I felt detached by watching this.

1 out of 4
January 29, 2013
People will either get it or not. My wife and I understand what the director is saying.
January 29, 2013
One of the better Adrian Brody movies I have seen.
January 22, 2013
Really good and inspiring. It makes me want to be a great parent.
January 20, 2013
A pesar de que los personajes son planos y el cliché de los adolescentes perdidos es lo más gastado del mundo, visualmente me parece que esta peli se defiende. Además, Adrien Brody tiene el rostro más triste de que he visto en mi vida y quedó perfecto en su personaje.
January 20, 2013
I hope you do not detach yourself from my movie review of the drama "Detachment". But if you do, I punderstand I mean understand due to the numerous puns incorporated. "Detachment" stars Adrien Brody as Henry Barthes, a longtime substitute teacher who detaches himself from deep emotion due to a troubled past. Oh Henry! What could have happened? I will detach myself from revealing that because it does play a crucial factor in the film's narrative, and I do not want to spoil it for you. When he is transferred to another school, Henry's life begins to change due to the new people in his life. Henry befriends an attractive teacher colleague named Sarah Madison. A bullied female student named Meredith admires Henry due to his willingness to always help students in need. Henry also aids a young prostitute named Erica, and even allows her to stay in his place, with no sexual attachments required. Henry also constantly visits his ailing elderly grandfather. Henry is a good man. But when Meredith wants Henry to be a substitute of a father figure, and when Erica wants Henry to be a substitute of a lover figure, and when Grampa wants Henry to be a substitute of a savior figure, and when Ms. Madison falsely accuses Henry of being a substitute of a child molester figure, it puts Henry into a maximum stress level state. Director Tony Kaye, who also helmed "American History X", does more than an O Kaye job in presenting a story of a melancholy man trying to assist others while at the same time holding on to a dark past. Carl Lund's "Detachment" screenplay was a bit unorthodox but well-worded. Brody has not been this good in a starring role since his Oscar-winning turn in "The Pianist". Brody taught us a lesson that he can still act with his marvelous work as Henry! Yo Adrien, you did it! Christina Hendricks continues her rise to movie stardom with another well-rounded performance as Sarah Madison. Others in the supporting acting faculty that had passing grades included James Caan as veteran teacher Charles Seaboldt, Marcia Gay Harden as Principal Carol Dearden, Tim Blake Nelson as Mr. Wiatt, and Lucy Liu as Assistant Principal Dr. Doris Parker. Young actresses Sami Gayle who played Erica and Betty Kaye who played Meredith did show some promise with their performances, but still have to pass a few more tests to gain acting tenure. So my assignment for you is to go to your own personal homeroom and examine "Detachment". ****Good
January 20, 2013
Brody's best ever performance. For all its brilliance - it's explicitness will leave you feeling beaten and broken.
January 17, 2013
"A child's intelligent heart can fathom the depths of many dark places, but can it fathom the delicate moment of its own detachment?"

Auteur Tony Kaye's visual essay on the state of public education in America is melodic, unique, moody and poetic. Like a minimalist Terrence Malick, Kaye illustrates a group of lost souls searching for meaning. "Detachment" is thoroughly depressing, and only for mature audiences, but it's one of the most daring pictures to come out in years with some powerhouse performances. Haunting. Disturbing. Powerful.
January 17, 2013
Touching portrait of a guy who tries to help as much as he can while barely dealing with his own suffering. Though it could have dived deeper into the flaws of the American school system, the plight of the teachers in and out of the school come across very well due to great performances.
January 15, 2013
I admired the relationship between the Henry and Erica. The way he treated the young prostitute was immensely beautiful. An excellent example for the way all men should treat young girls.
January 14, 2013
"Detachment" is a movie about social issues that a teacher in a rock bottom NYC high school has to grapple with. Though there are extremes that may not be realistic in actual life of a teacher, Adrien Brody has this element of stoicism in him (as evident when he played the protagonist in "The Pianist") that brings about the sturdiness of an ordinary man in the middle of stormy social upheavals.
January 14, 2013
Adrien Brody plays Henry, a jaded substitute teacher that ends up at an inner city school where the staff is just as dysfunctional as the students. Someway somehow Henry is able to get across to his students and eventually earns their respect. Along the way Henry battles his past demons while trying desperately to detach himself from society and his students. Henry finds himself unwillingly befriending a young prostitute who shows Henry that life is too precious to be detached.

What an absolute gem of a movie! I was sitting at home late one night going through my Netflix online streaming queue and came across this flick. I was not expecting much, but I ended up pleasantly surprised.
January 12, 2013
When I saw the trailer I was amazed, but when I finally saw it I didn't know what I was coming into. One of the most emotionally devastating passionate films I've ever seen. I had to turn it off twice just to give myself a break. I came very close to tears in the animal abuse scene, which got me unbelievably angry. It was very dark and in your face. It was hardcore pessimism, but it's the only way it could've gotten its message across. Brody had his best performance since The Pianist, and it might be the saddest movie since then. Many arthouse characteristics, like chalkboard drawing and philosophy from Brody. Still not sure if it was scripted, or real. Very unique, an has a strong message. I think everyone needs to watch this.
January 12, 2013
i spent the first half of this movie wanting it to turn into a revenge movie. like "death wish" i mean seriously. I wanted Adrien Brody to pull out a gun start killing these crappy kids, the girl on the bus, the lady at the retirement home... but i was watching the wrong movie i suppose. It was a good movie, but at the end of the day it was just a "turn the other cheek" & persevere type of thing. I truly hope that america's school system isn't like this currently.
½ January 10, 2013
Great movie, while the ending was sad I admire how it was realistic. This one man wasn't able to save the school but he did have a impact on his students and the people he associated with.
½ January 9, 2013
Tony Kaye makes tragically IMPOHHTANT movies built around preposterously big themes like racism ("American History X") and America's failing education system ("Detachment"). But he shoots his knee-jerk sermons with the restless, intrusive mannerisms of a caffeinated Tony Scott, circa "Diablo." This unnatural collision of anguished hand-wringing and exploitative flourish is a poor substitute for nuance, but poor, bedraggled substitutes is what "Detachment" is all about.
I have to say, this movie cast an allure I don't fully understand. A GQ-suited Adrien Brody is good as the aforementioned sub, who doesn't care but actually REALLY does care about the lives of his temporary charges. I could have done without the boring is-he-or-isn't-he-a-molester grandpa subplot, but the film's central relationship between Brody's bummed-out teacher and an adolescent prostitute is surprisingly beguiling, given how hoary and cliche it is.
But too often, the small scattershot moments of emotional truth are bludgeoned to death by overreaching moments of near-comic travesty. (One teacher's wife won't even look at him when he comes home. Literally.) By the end, you'll be surprised there's only one suicide given how unspeakably terrible everyone's life is. A sad-teacher montage plays like an outtake from R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts" video shoot.
I was actually surprised by how many good actors got sucked into this downbeat sulk-fest (is that Bryan Cranston as a toe-sucking WASP?). But just when everything seems lost, James Caan and Blythe Danner pop up as veteran teachers who know just how to deal with Kaye's teenage overkill: they make fun of it.