Detachment - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Detachment Reviews

Francisco G.
November 25, 2012
Tony Kaye surely likes to put a salty finger onto a wound and stay there for a while.
His intentions are generally good but the execution is all over the place.

Detachment is affecting, raw, angry, has something relevant to say but most of the times, doesn't know how to. There's tremendous detail on the lead character and on some of his manerisms, courtesy of an inspired script and another winning performance from Brody. Some secondary characters are only around for a while but cause a big impact while others I just didn't understood why they were there in the first place (Bryan Cranston, it's always a pleasure to see you, but what were you doing here exacly?)

The episodic editing sometimes is great, others it's repetitive, others is nauseating with an avalanche of 8mm hipster footage of a lost childhood. The chalk animations sometimes work but most of the times don't. The interviews... errrr, could've been avoided but Brody is excellent in them and so on and so on.

Knows exacly what it's saying and it's a tricky thread and topic to walk around but the execution leaves much to be desired. Too many hipsterisms going on. A simpler, more classical approach to a very complex topic should've been the way to go but it's still a very engaging and brutal ride that everyone should see and learn something from it in the process.
November 23, 2012
This was a honest movie about the problems we are facing as our youth has become alienated from our society.iBecause this was a independent film it provides a realistic portrayal of our society . We seem to have people falling between the cracks.
½ November 17, 2012
Wow, great movie! Adrian Brodie is just an outstanding actor!!
½ November 17, 2012
como soy un teacher me gusto ...........
November 16, 2012
move over, MIchelle Pfeiffer
November 13, 2012
Gripping and very relatable to the point that you will realize what state of being our public schools are actually in.
November 12, 2012
A touching film, a profile of the sick society in which we live. The role of the parents and of the society in growing up the new members of the human society.Worth watched!
November 12, 2012
A striking condemnation of a post-modern free-market capitalist society that places the wants of the individual over the needs of society positing that this will eventually lead to the collapse of both. This is courageous work rarely seen in modern film. Adrien Brody gives an incredible heartfelt performance and is supported well by a highly competent cast and crew. Don't pay any attention to the Tomatometer on this one. The critics have their heads screwed on backwards.
November 11, 2012
The always terrific Adrien Brody deserved an Oscar nomination for his riveting performance in this bleak but compelling glimpse of high school in the twenty-first century. A revolutionary piece of work from the iconoclastic director of "American History X." Strong stuff, but revelatory, if you can stick with it.
½ November 11, 2012
Not one of the best movies I've ever seen but it's okay.
½ November 10, 2012
Edgar Allen Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher defines my teen age years, as this movie perfectly illustrates.

"During the whole of a dull, dark, and soundless day in the autumn of the year, when the clouds hung oppressively low in the heavens, I had been passing alone, on horseback, through a singularly dreary tract of country; and at length found myself, as the shades of the evening drew on, within view of the melancholy House of Usher. I know not how it was--but, with the first glimpse of the building, a sense of insufferable gloom pervaded my spirit. I say insufferable; for the feeling was unrelieved by any of that half-pleasureable, because poetic, sentiment, with which the mind usually receives even the sternest natural images of the desolate or terrible. I looked upon the scene before me--upon the mere house, and the simple landscape features of the domain--upon the bleak walls--upon the vacant eye-like windows--upon a few rank sedges--and upon a few white trunks of decayed trees--with an utter depression of soul which I can compare to no earthly sensation more properly than to the after-dream of the reveller upon opium--the bitter lapse into everyday life--the hideous dropping off of the veil. There was an iciness, a sinking, a sickening of the heart--an unredeemed dreariness of thought which no goading of the imagination could torture into aught of the sublime."
" Edgar Allan Poe (The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales )
November 10, 2012
great movie I cried a few times
November 9, 2012
A gritty look at the world of today's education system. Must be shown at high schools everywhere.
½ November 9, 2012
weird movie...or i didn't get it
November 9, 2012
So unreal trying to copy reality in the life of a teacher off school
November 8, 2012
one of the best movies i've seen in a while, really sad though, directed by the guy who did american history x, i highly recommend it
November 7, 2012
Everybody should see this. Powerful wake-up call kind of film. A heartbreaker, not just about teachers and schools and parenting and "no child left behind", but the title itself really sums it up. Detachment gets people through the day, but perpetuates the problems that make them have to detach. Just watched on cable, but it's on streaming Netflix too. Not a bad film to own, borrow out. "There should be a... a pre-requisite, a curriculum for being a parent before people attempt... "Don't try this at home." - Mr. Barthes (Adrian Brody)
November 6, 2012
This is not a movie to watch when you are having a good day. Adrien Brody is so excellent in all he does it is sometimes a pure joy to watch his work. This is one of those joyous moments to sit and observe his excellence. I have never envied a teacher's job, and, after watching this, I probably never will. They are definitely heroes.
November 5, 2012
I liked it. I thought the great acting outweighed the somewhat cliche ridden script. And, a bold casting choice by Director, Tony Kaye, to cast his daughter Betty in the role of Meredith.
November 4, 2012
Stylishly directed and sharply written, this is an engaging, if ultimately depressing drama with strong performances from a superb ensemble cast. I was intrigued from start to finish this film pulls you right in from the start & Brody is superb! I say SEE IT!!!