Detachment - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Detachment Reviews

½ November 27, 2015
Severely underrated movies.
½ November 13, 2015
An excellent performance from Brody,and some insightful moments in the script, but seriously the rest is a failed cocktail or poor direction, arty pointless photography and extra baggage of meaningless characters only added to prove the Directors depressed mind set. The story is excellent hence worth to see it from an arm length. Could have been superb.
½ October 28, 2015
well if you'd like to get sucker punched in the face with a dose of reality, this is the movie for you. it's quite profound. the issues brought up in this film are right under our fricken noses and while it may not blanket the entirety of the human race, it's pretty damn close. our generation is failing the generation below us and they will fail the generation after them because of it. our world has turned into a very vicious cycle.
½ September 16, 2015
Tony Kaye is a really talented filmmaker -- you can even see that here. But this is a film so bogged down in cliches, bloated melodrama, and nauseating misery that it baffles me how I could still feel even slightly affectionate. Its sort of a testament to Kaye's talent that a movie this unbelievably bad isn't all that bad. (Does that make sense?)
½ August 24, 2015
?????? ????? ?????? ???? ??? ???? ???? ???? ?????? ?? ?? ????? ?????? ???? ???
August 9, 2015
I have to say, sad movies have their place. The trick, however, is to offer a way out. A solution. This offered neither, it was just an extremely depressing movie. Too bad too, since Adrian Brody's performance is strong.
August 6, 2015
This is a a deep rumination and acute observations of what ills us in life. The setup is an urban school in its daily business of managing order in classrooms. The viewpoints are multiple and largely unharmonized, yet they all offer a vision of pain and suffering. The particulars differ, yet the sense of individual isolation in a chaotic and uncaring universe is unified through the elegiac tone of the movie. The sense of existential despair is responded by the stoic Mr. Barthes who endures and carries on his duty to be a good teacher and a decent human being. Yet his Kantian Imperatives is honed by deep schism in psyche and memory. He reminds me of Detective Cole in True Detective Season 1. Somber and suffering souls bear witness of life honorably, dutifully, yet without false hope.

The one critical scene we see Barthes read among the detritus and chaos around him. The order of the universe lies in his life of mind instead of the sensory life itself. Embodied in moral imperatives, Mr. Barthes is the essential stoic's "ataraxia", a serene calmness against all the odds yet not detached from the love of life itself.

What marks this movie from any other happier-ending ones is the absolute confidence in the present: The danger lies in the joyful tears of Erica rushing toward him. One fears more pain than joy in the universe however the beautiful sunset in the shaded grove looked at that moment of embrace.
July 7, 2015
Good realization on my part that I finished high school when I did, would be much harder in this day and age for sure!
June 29, 2015
There's a decent film in here somewhere, but it's undone by the messy execution and scattershot storytelling.
June 24, 2015
Great movie, just wish the ending had some sort of resolution
June 18, 2015
"Detachment" is an honest and depressing look at the state of public education, the mislead prioritizing of standardized test scores, and the frailty of human life. It is an odd film, erratic at times and raw in its portrayal of communities with a low socioeconomic status. The documentary feel enhances the realism of the story. You don't feel as if you are watching characters - you feel as if you are watching real kids with real problems. Unfortunately, this style requires the film to move slowly and without much action, so it does turn into a very long 100 minutes. The story centers around Adrien Brody, who plays a substitute teacher that reaches out to these kids on a level that they can understand. Unlike "Stand and Deliver" or "Lean on Me," Brody has his own circumstances that stand in the way of his success. Pieces of this film are predictable because the story so accurately portrays the daily encounters of teachers in their classrooms. The highlight of the film is Lucy Liu as she shows the frustration with misled students that teachers cannot ever reveal. I was also quite taken with Sami Gayle, who acted beyond her years in this role. "Detachment" moves at a snail's pace and will likely ruin your night, but any person involved in public education will be able to relate to these characters on a deep level.
June 11, 2015
Excellent performance by Adrie Brody brings to light the crumbling values of society and how it permeates children, families and the educational system. It fails though to give the audience any type of hope for a brighter future.
½ May 28, 2015
A movie of up close human emotions
May 23, 2015
Critics contend, quote: "Detachment's heart is in the right place, but overall it doesn't offer any solutions to its passionate ranting." Duh and then some. That IS the point you idiotic experts! The movie makes the horrible point that there IS NOT solutions to its passionate ranting! Light-bulb moment!!
½ May 19, 2015
For such a great message, its execution could of been better. Despite that great acting from the cast.
½ April 20, 2015
Brody is a fine actor, but this film comes across as pretentious and self-important. Almost to the extent that it unwittingly reaches into the realm of black comedy. Almost. At several points in the film I even asked aloud, "Are you serious?" Because I couldn't quite decide if it were serious.

First, in a genius stroke of irony, we get to hear Adrien Brody lecture to a class of kids about how there are more important things in life than looks. Next our hero instantly connects with and rights a few hardened inner-city school kids. Then, and I'm not joking about this, the flawed hero swoops in an rescues a young prostitute from the streets.

This film is about a mile wide and about a millimeter thick. My eyes were literally tired from all the eye rolling. I added a star, however, for superb acting and a great cast, but that's the best I can do.
April 17, 2015
Adrian Brodys finest movie. Although, harshly trounced by the critics this is marvel of acting. An emotional albeit dismal look at the American school system is a must see.
April 8, 2015
Unoriginal, predictable, melodramatic yet dull.

Detachment doesn't tackle a new subject. Delinquent kids and teachers'
inability to teach or control them has been a theme since the 1950s
(Blackboard Jungle anyone?). However, with each of these sorts of
movies you hope that there is something new to be added. If there are
movies that add to the discussion, Detachment isn't one of them.

Rather than try to present solutions, it just shows the problems. You
would think Adrien Brody's character represents the solution but his
character is too implausible to be true: idealistic and overly
goody-two-shoesy. Plus, is he really the solution? (Any more and
there'd be spoilers). If anything, the movie is telling us: don't be a
teacher and, more broadly, don't have kids.

The plot is quite predictable. Some events are signposted far in
advance.

The plot isn't hard to figure out in advance, especially as you have so
much time to work it out, the movie progresses so slowly.

Sure, there's heaps of melodrama, people throwing things, kids being
all aggro, ridiculous dialogue and sub-plots, but it's fairly empty.

Lots of pretense and bluster, but no substance.
April 5, 2015
This film had so much potential. I think this is one of Adrien Brody's most outstanding performances - it's just a shame that direction was sub-par and the plot was messy.

I think the screenplay alone is quite beautiful, but the gloomy overpowering tone prevents it from fully spreading it's wings. There was a bit too much unnecessary profanity for my taste and some of the dialogue sounded altogether unnatural.

I don't want to completely put down this movie. I actually enjoyed it and it does pull on the heartstrings. Under another more proficient director, this could've been a four-star movie.
½ April 5, 2015
Detachment is impeccably filmed, well acted, and really depressing. Pretty much as expected from the guy who directed American History X.