Detention - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Detention Reviews

November 9, 2014
this has a lot of stuff all thrown in and is a bit imbalanced..BUT a lot of fun. It's like a John Hughes scripted, re-written by John Waters and John Carpenter. Sort of like a long episode of Community where they do all kinds of crazy shit. Lots of 90s references and sci-fi references.
October 31, 2014
In the realm of Scream and Zombieland comes this delightful horror-com that involves the typical killing, time travel, and of course detention. The cast is good, the pace of the film keeps you watching and the story ain't half bad! Makes for a decent Halloween night movie!

3/5
October 25, 2014
What did I just watch?
½ October 25, 2014
Director Joseph Kahn is more than capable of bringing a brilliant sense of style to his film Detention. The film looks sharp and on the edge of being a music video, in a good way. However, the film is too obsessed with its over stylized dialogue and imagery that it begins to be a little bit of a headache about 25 minutes in. It begins taking much effort for you to make it through the film, because you feel like you're running a race with the cast. It stops being enjoyable when it feels like a workout just to keep up with everything.

The film shows a lot of promise, but it loses its narrative and heart in all of the style.
October 21, 2014
How can you not love this movie and claim to be a real human being? It's like Scott Pilgrim meets Breakfast Club meets Scream. It shouldn't work, but it does.
October 20, 2014
big time miss totally confusing and all over the place
October 18, 2014
A strange love-child between "John Dies at the End" and "Not Another Teen Movie", "Detention" is a clever little Sci-Fi, time-travel, spoof, teen slashed rom-com with a quirky, self aware performance by Shanley Caswell.
½ October 5, 2014
What did I just watch? this movie is a incoherent mess. The only redeeming factor is the touch of occasional nostalgic humor.
October 2, 2014
I love this movie and most films don't do parody AND time travel as well as this underrated gem. Haters gonna hate but I love this flick.
½ October 1, 2014
"Stalker: (Noun) Someone who is not hot enough to be seen with you. Duh." The 90s references and time travel salvaged this movie.
½ September 28, 2014
Netflix (the algorithm) thought I was going to love this movie, but if a movie is going to disrespect Neve Campbell and her character Sydney Prescott from the "Scream" quadrilogy, then I am going to have a serious problem.

Positives include the sheer insanity of mashing up 90s pop culture references with horror, science fiction, comedy and John Hughes. Negatives include the clutter of doing just that; I could not keep up with the constant stream of references. Was there a point? Is this a satire about how meta movies sometimes get? Then there are the many secondary story arcs that really make no sense or have little consequence (The drunk dad? The gay teacher? The mutant fly/television jock? The slasher herself!?)

Josh Hutcherson is great as usual. All the actors seem up to the challenge, but ultimately this is an experiment that just can't quite hold it together, exploding like a gory watermelon in the end like some of the characters and a dog do.

Don't mess with Neve Campbell.
½ September 27, 2014
I am not really sure what I just watched....
½ September 20, 2014
i'm not entirely sure what this film means. i'm not entirely sure of what it's making fun of or parodying. i watched it twice in one week and i'm thankful for it. on first watch, it felt out of control, but good. on second watch, it was nearly perfect. this kind of unrestrained ambition is pretty uncommon, i daresay. quite reminiscent of spring breakers. i usually hate name-dropping, but it didn't bug me at all here, and i don't know why/that's super inconsistent for me. love you, detention.
½ September 19, 2014
This movie was entertaining to watch only because it was a clusterfuck of a movie. It had no idea what it was doing and overall accoplished nithing as a film. I did love, however the job of Josh Hucherson making the best of nothing. The story was outlabfish and insane, but thats why it was entertaining.
½ September 17, 2014
This is such a clever movie, chock full of jokes and references to everything high school related. The first five minutes feels like an awful big budget youtube video, but once I realized the entire movie was intentionally written to be like this, I liked it. This is definately one of those movies that could easily fall through the cracks and be mistaken for the hundreds of crappy high school horror movies, but I don't know. This one was special. Maybe it was the 90s references that made me feel nostalgic, and the constant tongue in cheek attitude from all the characters. This movie would've been awful if the jokes were written with more intent on serving punchlines, and being memorable. This was just rapid fire jokes built on other jokes that was too clever to pass up and dismiss as stupid.
I liked the fast pace of the dialogue and action, it was evident the filmmakers were serving to an ADD audience, and I found that hilarious. The meta-ness was an added bonus, with the constant breaking the 4th wall, sarcastic explanations of norms and overused cliches and stereotypes. It was like watching an in depth guidebook of tired cliches of horror movies, and annoying high school stereotypes, and damn, they did it really well. It could have easily come off as obnoxious and desperate for laughs, but it was done very effectively here.
If people for whatever think this movie is too stupid or pointless, then they either aren't horror comedy fans anyway that appreciate the way they're made and riffed on, or have an already pre-made bias against high school movies and think they're more mature.
Josh Hutcherson was refreshing in his dorky cool role as Clapton, and not Angie Harmon( Shanley Casell) who played the main character Riley was also a hoot. I liked that she wan't the typical pretty face that people just hated because the writer made it so, she had viable reasons for being weird and disliked. Dane Cook could've been better but he was ok as the loser principal with a chip on his shoulder. I was hoping a more zany loud mouthed Dane Cook, but I guess he was ok. Spencer Locke is fast becoming a formidable actress, and she was very entertaining to watch, playing two characters in this one.
The best way to describe the movie is its the story of "The Breakfast Club" in the comedic style(actually funny) "Not another teen movie" and ultimately mixed with the meta-ness and horror elements of "Scream."
This movie also has a seriously high rewatchability factor. Too bad most people will miss out on this but, hey, maybe it should stay under-appreciated because that's what adds to its charm and quality.
September 15, 2014
Balances just on the right side of smart versus pretentious. Kinda Scot Pilgrim Vs Scream.
September 14, 2014
Take Scott Pilgrim, mash it with John Hughes films, add some Donnie Darko and Scream and you get...a mess. I've never seen a film try to be so many things at once and failing at all of them. I kinda want to snap my fingers at the director and yell, "focus!"
September 14, 2014
Does it try too hard? It definitely does. Is it entertaining? You bet.
A hyper stylized film that's as pretty to watch as it is fun. Director/writer Joseph Kahn tries to shove in as much content as possible, and that's okay with me.
September 12, 2014
Excelente flick pa disfrutar. Nada serio, bien movido. Jugoso a cagar.